2004 Rx330 - 90k - Should I Purchase

blt212

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2004 RX330 with 90K on it. Based on the Carmax Report, it's service records look good but I'm pretty sure it hasn't had a timing belt done. Any feedback on purchasing one of these with this many miles? Any known problems or issues I should be aware of up front?

Thank you,

Brenda

X2...

The price really matters on questions like this. The answer is completely different if they are asking $5,000 than if they are asking $20,000.

Without knowing the $ aspect, I would think that in this buyer's market you should be able to find a lower mileage example in the color and options you want for a fantastic price.

Good Luck in whatever you decide!

They are asking $14,500 which seems good compared to others in the area with comparable miles....

X2...

The price really matters on questions like this. The answer is completely different if they are asking $5,000 than if they are asking $20,000.

Without knowing the $ aspect, I would think that in this buyer's market you should be able to find a lower mileage example in the color and options you want for a fantastic price.

Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Well, the timing belt should be the major concern. Like 92 says, get the belt done as part of the deal and verify that the oil was changed regularly.

What options are on this RX? AWD? NAV? Rear seat entertainment? Mark Levinson? What colors and condition? Are you buying from private party, or dealer?

Most of the major gripes (transmission, engine sludge, poor turning radius, under-powered) that people have with the RX have been ironed out by 2004. The potential is there for you to get a great deal, but with any 100k mile car, you want one that was adult owned and treated responsibly.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2004 RX330 with 90K on it. Based on the Carmax Report, it's service records look good but I'm pretty sure it hasn't had a timing belt done. Any feedback on purchasing one of these with this many miles? Any known problems or issues I should be aware of up front?

Thank you,

Brenda

CarMax (where you're buying it) or CarFax (the reports, which are next to worthless in many cases)? IIRC, the 90K service is more than just T belt. Includes some things like tranny fluids, filters, driveshaft adjustments, etc.. If at a dealer, I would insist on full 90K service, w/ OEM parts. If private, cll Lexus and find out what they charge for it. Also, make sure the computer was reflashed. That was a 96 mo/80K emmissions warranty issue, but only done if someone complained (cheap *BLEEP*s). Makes a big difference.

Thank you all for your great feedback. I meant CarFax not CarMax.....I called my local Lexus Dealer today and they looked up the Vin and gave me some good info on the vehicle. They said it has been meticulously maintained at Lexus Dealers but the 90K timing belt service was not done. Based on this we got the asking price reduced to accommodate the cost of this service. I drove it again today and checked for the hesitation and any noises, burnt smelling tranny fuel, oil sludge and any other items I've read about here but it seemed to ride really good. I did find it was mfg's in Japan vs Canada....it is AWD based on the Vin....so with all this said, I went ahead an purchased and will pickup tomorrow.

If anyone wants to purchase a 2000 Subaru RS 2.5, let me know!!!!! So much for winter beaters, once you drive a Lex, you never want to drive anything else....

Thank you,

Brenda

CarMax (where you're buying it) or CarFax (the reports, which are next to worthless in many cases)? IIRC, the 90K service is more than just T belt. Includes some things like tranny fluids, filters, driveshaft adjustments, etc.. If at a dealer, I would insist on full 90K service, w/ OEM parts. If private, cll Lexus and find out what they charge for it. Also, make sure the computer was reflashed. That was a 96 mo/80K emmissions warranty issue, but only done if someone complained (cheap *BLEEP*s). Makes a big difference.

Wow Brenda, you took the little advice we gave you here, ran with it and worked yourself a great deal!

I have read that the japan-built RX's have better build-quality and the fact that you uncovered the service history at Lexus shows it was treated responsibly. The previous owners probably decided to upgrade the RX when they were faced with the 90k service decision and sold it instead.

About the only caution that I can offer is to be careful with the AWD system. It is nowhere near as advanced as the AWD in your Subaru and you won't be able to plow through the slippery slush with reckless abandon like you used to. My wife manages to get everywhere she needs to get in her 2003 RX300 (and now RX400h) thru the Utah snow. Just be aware of the differences. :)

Congrats and please post some pics of your new ride!

:cheers:

Thanks for the info about the AWD, I was wondering how it would compare....truthfully, I don't think the Subaru is as good as an A4 I used to have but you're right it does get through the stuff well and we have lots of it here this year. I'll post pic's in the near future....

Brenda

Wow Brenda, you took the little advice we gave you here, ran with it and worked yourself a great deal!

I have read that the japan-built RX's have better build-quality and the fact that you uncovered the service history at Lexus shows it was treated responsibly. The previous owners probably decided to upgrade the RX when they were faced with the 90k service decision and sold it instead.

About the only caution that I can offer is to be careful with the AWD system. It is nowhere near as advanced as the AWD in your Subaru and you won't be able to plow through the slippery slush with reckless abandon like you used to. My wife manages to get everywhere she needs to get in her 2003 RX300 (and now RX400h) thru the Utah snow. Just be aware of the differences. :)

Congrats and please post some pics of your new ride!

:cheers:

Thank you all for your great feedback. I meant CarFax not CarMax.....I called my local Lexus Dealer today and they looked up the Vin and gave me some good info on the vehicle. They said it has been meticulously maintained at Lexus Dealers but the 90K timing belt service was not done. Based on this we got the asking price reduced to accommodate the cost of this service. I drove it again today and checked for the hesitation and any noises, burnt smelling tranny fuel, oil sludge and any other items I've read about here but it seemed to ride really good. I did find it was mfg's in Japan vs Canada....it is AWD based on the Vin....so with all this said, I went ahead an purchased and will pickup tomorrow.

If doesn't have already, I highly recommend the rubber/all season Lexus floor mats. Around $100 from internet Lexus dealers. Not only functional, but gives your luxury ride a slightly more "rugged" look/feel from inside.

x2 on what mccldwll is saying about the slush mats. I think Lexus did a nice job on their mats and it really keeps the car clean during winter.

I swap them out for the carpet mats spring and fall so the wife's shoes get to live on carpet when it isn't sloppy out.