Adding Drls To 1998

h8snow

Could someone if 1998s were wired for DRLs. I checked Alldata looks like maybe just need the relay. Really would like this feature on mine. Thanks for any help.

I'm mostly sure that 1999 was the first year for DRLs on both Toyota and Lexus cars sold in the U.S. market. My wife's 98 Camry doesn't have DRL and she drives with her headlights on during the day -- always. There are lots of DRL kits available -- especially in Canada where they import a lot of U.S. spec cars and commonly install DRL kits to comply with their regs. Check the Internet for kits -- they're inexpensive. Here's a company with a big choice in kits: http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/

I don't know about the ES but on the 99-00 LS like I have, there is not just one relay for the DRL. I don't know why but there are so many on the 99-00 LS -- perhaps has something to do with the automatic headlights.

I'm mostly sure that 1999 was the first year for DRLs on both Toyota and Lexus cars sold in the U.S. market. My wife's 98 Camry doesn't have DRL and she drives with her headlights on during the day -- always. There are lots of DRL kits available -- especially in Canada where they import a lot of U.S. spec cars and commonly install DRL kits to comply with their regs. Check the Internet for kits -- they're inexpensive. Here's a company with a big choice in kits: http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/

I don't know about the ES but on the 99-00 LS like I have, there is not just one relay for the DRL. I don't know why but there are so many on the 99-00 LS -- perhaps has something to do with the automatic headlights.

I agree with the above.

Canadian spec vehicles have had standard DRL's since the 1990 model year as standard equipment. Another suggestion is (since you are located in Alaska) is to contact a few Lexus dealers in Canada (B.C.) & get a price quote for the conversion & get the OE part so it should be plug & play.

Just curious h8snow......what tires are you running on your 98 ES?

:cheers:

Thanks all for replying. Guess i will take a look under the dash and see if there is an empty connector for the drl relay. Just was not sure if the export model has a different wiring harness in 1998. The winter tires i am using are Michelin x-ice 205-65-15s. Thanks again.