Does Throttle Body Need To Be Cleaned (dealer Thinks So)?

docmas

Have 2002 LS430 75,000 miles, dealer adjusted throttle body few months ago as idling a little rough (not sure it helped), now telling me needs to "clean" the throttle body (and fuel injectors). Just wondering how often these things are really done and how the dealer does it? If it's just by adding something to the fuel, I imagine I can do same thing. Anybody know what this is about and how it's done (and if worth the money?

Thanks so much,

Adam

They will physically remove the throttle body from the engine and clean the inside of it.

This is a DIY I made when I cleaned mine (1997 LS). It was at about... 145k miles. I bet it's still be pretty bad at 75k.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ttle+body+clean

POST # 2000!!! I HOPE IT HELPED YOU!!! :D :D B)

wow, pretty dirty! do they ever break? can i just get a new one under warranty (have extended through March) instead of cleaning it?

They will physically remove the throttle body from the engine and clean the inside of it.

This is a DIY I made when I cleaned mine (1997 LS). It was at about... 145k miles. I bet it's still be pretty bad at 75k.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ttle+body+clean

POST # 2000!!! I HOPE IT HELPED YOU!!! :D :D B)

Is it true that this maintenance (throttle body, injectors cleaning) is not listed on service schedules?

If it's not listed on schedules, does that mean that Lexus does not even recommend that it be done?

Dealer recommended it for my RX400h with 30K miles on it. I declined.

What do you all think?

Is it true that this maintenance (throttle body, injectors cleaning) is not listed on service schedules?

If it's not listed on schedules, does that mean that Lexus does not even recommend that it be done?

Dealer recommended it for my RX400h with 30K miles on it. I declined.

What do you all think?

I think you should have the same response as when they tell you it is necessary to clean the inside of the mufflers every 30K miles...

...please read all the DIY articles you can on this site, it is one of the best ways to find out what is a scam and what is dealer only.

This upcoming Depression/Recession is going to make doing repairs yourself more and more logical and even necessary. :(

Hey over 2k posts in under a year ain't so bad right? :D Work on what Lex? I am only on here for fun I really don't have one.... hahahaha B)

There's no reason to replace the throttle body.. It will just get dirty again... That's why it should be cleaned.

I think it's a totally necessary procedure. Maybe not at 30k but definitely when it gets higher mileage like 75k.

Clean that puppy! :P i did mine (95 ls 190k) and it was DIIIIRTY!! carbon/gunk buildup on your throttle plate and walls reduces your air-mass flow effieciency - causing your air to "tumble" at a different (slower) flow rate than when it is clean, you might not actually "feel" the difference but your engine/ecu will notice it. i think the topside of the intake is removable also correct? i know it is on my 95 ls. might clean that puppy real good one day.

• 2 weeks later...
Have 2002 LS430 75,000 miles, dealer adjusted throttle body few months ago as idling a little rough (not sure it helped), now telling me needs to "clean" the throttle body (and fuel injectors). Just wondering how often these things are really done and how the dealer does it? If it's just by adding something to the fuel, I imagine I can do same thing. Anybody know what this is about and how it's done (and if worth the money?

Thanks so much,

Adam

Adam:

Cleaning the throttle body is a legitimate suggestion. Suggesting replacement of the throttle body is NOT. If a Stealer, or anyone else for that matter, suggests replacing the throttle body, they're trying to give you the old BOHICA treatment. Run away as fast as you can.

The throttle body gets carbon'ed up because of re-cycled exhaust gasses coming back into the air intake chamber through the EGR valve. Get used to it, it's a fact of life. Unless, of course, one were to cap off or pinch off the EGR pipe.........

The throttle body can be cleaned to the point of being perfectly serviceable without removing it from the air intake. There is an aerosol version of SeaFoam, called Deep Creep. It's regular SeaFoam, just in a spray can. SeaFoam will break down the carbon buildup that occurs because of the EGR system. Just spray it onto the carbon and let it sit for 45 to 60 minutes. Use old toothbrushes & rags to brush & wipe the carbon off. It will probably take multiple applications. Just be patient, it won't all come off with the first application.

I add SeaFoam to my fuel periodically to clean the fuel injectors. However, SeaFoam in the fuel won't do anything to clean your throttle body. The fuel injectors are downstream from the throttle body & under just about all normal circumstances, fuel never comes in contact with the throttle body.

I clean the throttle body once in a while now, but not nearly as often as I used to. If you have a bad carbon buildup problem, you'll probably notice the motor runs smoother. If the buildup is minor, you probably won't notice any difference. The results just depend on the severity of the problem.

I cleaned the wide throttle body on my 94 LS, and found that, yes, there were black deposits on the throat. But in my opinion, there was no way that these minor deposits were harming the performance of a car with 114,000 miles. And it's not like the previous owner, a Vegas millionaire, ever had the work done. For sure, there are a lot of other problems that should be addressed with a high mileage car-I have a ton of them-hesitation, dash lights, etc. I don't think the throttle body is a major item that will cause problems that require money and time. IMHO.

I cleaned the wide throttle body on my 94 LS, and found that, yes, there were black deposits on the throat. But in my opinion, there was no way that these minor deposits were harming the performance of a car with 114,000 miles. And it's not like the previous owner, a Vegas millionaire, ever had the work done. For sure, there are a lot of other problems that should be addressed with a high mileage car-I have a ton of them-hesitation, dash lights, etc. I don't think the throttle body is a major item that will cause problems that require money and time. IMHO.

Minor cleaning isn't that critical, but I'll agree with SK on this one. If you want optimum performance, keep things clean. A dirty TB can cause you to run rich. lowering your fuel economy and eventually fouling sensors, plugs etc. The ecu gets a flow rate from the maf and the TPS and maps the fuel rate to match. When a dirty TB disrupts the air flow, the computer doesn't know this and can't do any further adjustments because it has all of it's required signals already. Nothing beats keeping your air/fuel/ignition systems clean.