#16 GXBob

GXBob

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: GX470

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

We are the original owners of a 2003 GX, and I too have a crack that extends from the driver side console of the plastic surface above the gauges, to the passenger side above the glove box, on leather surface. This was rather startling to us, since we previously owned a 4Runner for several years prior to purchasing this vehicle, and did not experience a problem of this type. So for it to have occurred on this vehicle, being the upper line of the Toyota brand, and it not be covered by the company was a shock. The care I used on the dash of this vehicle was the same as we used on the 4Runner, and other vehicles we owned. We are also the original owners of a 2004 ES330, so we will keep an eye on the dash.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 denslexusgx470

denslexusgx470

LOC Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 3,158 posts
  • First Name:Denny
  • Model: Lexus RX300 SilverSport,Lexus GX470,Lexus LS460, BMW F10 Series Twin-Powered Turbo I-6
  • Year: 2007

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

I have a 2003 and mine is perfectly fine. Them charging labor sounds decent enough. This is a luxury brand so the maintenance and repair costs are a luxury price too :( I'm contemplating on a new windshield for a small rock chip and Lexus is charging $1700 for an OE windshield which includes the glass, weatherstrips, adhesive, and labor while the aftermarket glass costs only $250 which includes the glass, weatherstrips, adhesive, and labor.  :geek: Lexus claims that the aftermarket glass doesn't work well with the wiper sensor

For instance, the map light console that has the homelink and sunroof controls, it costs about $150 for a Toyota 4Runner while it costs $850 for our GX. The console in the 4Runner is the same as the GX (I compared side to side as I have both cars in the garage) but that price difference is a :censored:

#18 Mrs Steph

Mrs Steph

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

My 03 Gx 470 (that I purchased new) has had the same cracking, dashboard issues. Like others it has been parked 90% of the time in a covered, enclosed garage. When it is in the sun, I use a sun shade to keep my vehicle cooler.
Mine started cracking just a couple months after the warranty was over. When I contacted Price LeBlanc, Lexus, they told me they would be happy to replace the dash board at full price!! I figured I could live with a little hairline crack. Now, that hairline crack has spread all over the dashboard! The dash appears to be disintegrating! I noticed some discoloring and rubbed the area with my fingers. I accidentally scraped it with my fingernail, and a chunk came of. It actually looks kinda moldy. I am so disgusted.  :chairshot:
I had an old, used, Ford pinto as a teenager, that sat outside, in every type of weather, and was never under (any kind of) cover. The dash didn't even crack on that Hoopdie!
Today I called Lexus Corporate in CA. I am hoping they will light a fire under the dealership here. Although I don't have the resources to purchase a new vehicle now, when I do, I seriously doubt it will be another Lexus.

#19 Mrs Steph

Mrs Steph

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

I have a 2003 and mine is perfectly fine. Them charging labor sounds decent enough. This is a luxury brand so the maintenance and repair costs are a luxury price too :( I'm contemplating on a new windshield for a small rock chip and Lexus is charging $1700 for an OE windshield which includes the glass, weatherstrips, adhesive, and labor while the aftermarket glass costs only $250 which includes the glass, weatherstrips, adhesive, and labor.  :geek: Lexus claims that the aftermarket glass doesn't work well with the wiper sensor

For instance, the map light console that has the homelink and sunroof controls, it costs about $150 for a Toyota 4Runner while it costs $850 for our GX. The console in the 4Runner is the same as the GX (I compared side to side as I have both cars in the garage) but that price difference is a :censored:

This is a luxury brand, and as such, I expect a quality product, made of durable materials, that holds up well. Not something that falls apart!! Especially considering the good care that has been given to it.
I have had my windshield replaced and the sensor works fine.

#20 oliverevilo

oliverevilo

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: GX 470

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I just purchased my '04 GX. I shopped and shopped to make sure I was getting one that had been babied. I finally found it - flawless interior. The carpet, leather, steering wheel, every button and switch - they all look brand new. Even the dash looks like it is brand new... except for the cracks! They are so subtle in that they all follow visual lines. The one over the instrument cluster is about 6" long but it was the last one I noticed because it is right on the line of the dash rolling over to the cluster. It looks like someone took an exacto knife to the dash. Anyway, you guys have answered any questions I have and have also convinced me that my truck was babies after all. I'm hoping that Lexus will help me as well even though I'm the second owner. I'll post whatever happens...

#21 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • Model: 2008 Rx400h AWD
Contributor

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

I've noticed this same issue on some 2004 Rx330 models as well, as the dash of the RX and GS use the same material. And of course, the 04-09 RX's use the same dash, so i guess i'll be in the same boat as you guys in a few years! :blink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 ZoeZhe04

ZoeZhe04

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Antoni
  • Year: 2004

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

We purchased our '04 GX470 April of 2008 after about a year and a half. The cracks started on both sides, I showed it to the nearest LEXUS dealership and they offered to filled the cracks with something that i don't want them to do and I have to pay for it. So, instead I bought this material on ebay to covered it for the moment. But, now it is worst that you can see it on the side of the vents on both side. I will try to show it to another LEXUS dealership and will see what will happen. Its not CPO when we purchased it but we had a extended warranty on it but, I doubt it will be covered by the warranty. What should i do next?

We had a leased '04 Toyota Sienna LE that also had a problem liked these. I returned the vehicle in '09 with NO question asked about the cracked and told me that for 5 years its still in immaculate condition compared to a 3 yrs old leased. LOL.....

Toni

#23 Tom Wall

Tom Wall

New Club Member

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

I too have a 2003 GX470 with the crack running across the top of the instrument panel.

#24 caro327

caro327

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:caroline
  • Model: gx 470
  • Year: 2003

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

well, well, well. i googled crack issue for my GX 470 2003. Like others, has been garage kept; i don't work so it has spent MOST of it's time in the garage. cracks just appeared last week. i am waiting to hear from local dealer after service talks with rep. sounds like i already know the best possible response from lexus. sounds like the basis of a class action lawsuit to me. This is absolutely ridiculous for a luxury car carefully cared for. Thanks!!!

#25 SOFAKING

SOFAKING

SOFAKING

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • First Name:JORDAN
  • Model: LS430
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

I have an 06 GX470 with same issue , just developed. Garaged car, 35000 miles , no armor all. Hairline vertical cracks front of dash around air vents and Nav . Will try to get fixed by JM Lexus . Appears to be a factory flaw .

#26 BB3217

BB3217

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:brenda
  • Model: gx470
  • Year: 2003

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I bought a 03 GX470 in 2005 and it was mint. In 2007 I noted hairline cracks in the dash. My car was always garage kept even at work. I had the extended warrantee, Palm Beach Lexus is awesome and fixed it no charge. Two years later more cracks and a lot more of them. Not even where the the sun penetrates. So now the new one is 2 years old and my warrantee is done. PB Lexus worked hard on my behalf with coorporate but they wanted 50% which would be 1200$.  The word out of their mouths was "Yea Lexus has an issue with 03 dashes". What so now my car is perfect accept the dash, which makes the car look like a old clunker. Its been paid off and I love it and do not want a new payment. So on to the carpeted dash cover. Which looks even worse. Class action comes to my mind.  My daughter also had a Lexus 2007 and it to cracked 1 month after purchase. They replaced it for 300$. LEXUS come on.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have