Rear Wiper Blade Change

bwallace2

I need to change the rear wiper blade. I'm trying to lift the blade off the window and bend the arm outward away from the back of the car so i may remove the old wiper blade. The problem is it seems like it may break the wiper arm if i try to pull on it anymore. At this point the wiper blade is only off the window about 2-3 inches, the arm is not bent back and i cant bend the blade perpendicular enough to the wiper arm to remove the old blade. I'm really afraid if i pull on the arm more to get it away from the window its going to snap something.

Is the proper procedure to bend the arm out from the window and then turn the blade perpendicular to the arm to remove the old blade. Then insert the new blade and turn it parallel to the arm and bend the arm back so it is flat with the window?

Thanks

Bob

I need to change the rear wiper blade. I'm trying to lift the blade off the window and bend the arm outward away from the back of the car so i may remove the old wiper blade. The problem is it seems like it may break the wiper arm if i try to pull on it anymore. At this point the wiper blade is only off the window about 2-3 inches, the arm is not bent back and i cant bend the blade perpendicular enough to the wiper arm to remove the old blade. I'm really afraid if i pull on the arm more to get it away from the window its going to snap something.

Is the proper procedure to bend the arm out from the window and then turn the blade perpendicular to the arm to remove the old blade. Then insert the new blade and turn it parallel to the arm and bend the arm back so it is flat with the window?

Thanks

Bob

Remove the black plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm. It snaps off. Then the wiper arm can lock in outward position.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Bob

Remove the black plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm. It snaps off. Then the wiper arm can lock in outward position.

Thanks! That was it.

But I believe that plastic piece you remove is now permanently gone? Correct me if I'm wrong. That plastic piece is what restrains the wiper from being pulled out more than about those 2-3". I read somewhere that if you remove it, you are "breaking" the plastic piece?

But I believe that plastic piece you remove is now permanently gone? Correct me if I'm wrong. That plastic piece is what restrains the wiper from being pulled out more than about those 2-3". I read somewhere that if you remove it, you are "breaking" the plastic piece?

The black plastic piece is made to snap on an off.

Yes, the piece at the bottom that covers the nut that connects the arm to the motor comes off and on without a problem. The full wiper or refills are available from Lexus. I have not found any source for the full wiper or for refills from any other source other than Lexus.

I ordered refills from Sewell on-line for about $3.20 / each.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, the piece at the bottom that covers the nut that connects the arm to the motor comes off and on without a problem. The full wiper or refills are available from Lexus. I have not found any source for the full wiper or for refills from any other source other than Lexus.

I ordered refills from Sewell on-line for about $3.20 / each.

NAPA has replacements just like the originals for $12. Of course I had to come here to find out how to make the change.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I purchased a geniune Lexus rear wiper blade from carpartsdiscount.com, $15....dealer wanted $35.

To replace, keep blade in resting position. Carefully remove plastic end cover. Use a flat head screw driver to remove old blade. Install new blade.

Very simple, took just a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Liz Q