Low Tire Pressure Indicator

eugene.s

Hello All,

I bought a GX470 2005 in Russia and there are no Lexus centers in my region. The temperature here is around 14 F but the low tire pressure indicator flashs all the time (though the pressure in all 5 wheels is per the manual). I searched in this forum and in the web but failed to find some practical advice on the following:

1. Tips for checking the sensors by yourself. Where are they located?

2. Tips how to change tires on wheels (i.e. remove old tires and put new ones on the same wheel) -- how to do it not to damage the sensors; how to put the same sensors on new tires?

I would appreciate any practical advice.

Thanks

Eugene

Hello All,

I bought a GX470 2005 in Russia and there are no Lexus centers in my region. The temperature here is around 14 F but the low tire pressure indicator flashs all the time (though the pressure in all 5 wheels is per the manual). I searched in this forum and in the web but failed to find some practical advice on the following:

1. Tips for checking the sensors by yourself. Where are they located?

2. Tips how to change tires on wheels (i.e. remove old tires and put new ones on the same wheel) -- how to do it not to damage the sensors; how to put the same sensors on new tires?

I would appreciate any practical advice.

Thanks

Eugene

The sensors are inside of the tires and part of each valve stem so are attached to the rim. Sometimes eBay has them for sale so you can see what they look like.

Changing rubber on the rims should not be a problem if a tire dealer does it and knows about the sensors. If you do it, be careful with the tire iron around the valve stem area. Changing out the sensors is a matter of removing the valve stem and reinstalling with new gaskets - they are a bit expensive however. Then a dealer has to electronically link the new sensors to your vehicle.

There is a reset switch for the tire pressure sensors under the dash. You'll have to search this site to find a post about it and how to specifically reset it.

Lexus tends to recommend low tire pressues so you might put an extra 3 or 4 pounds (whatever that is in metric) and see if the dash light goes off. Remember to do the spare.

The sensors are inside of the tires and part of each valve stem so are attached to the rim. Sometimes eBay has them for sale so you can see what they look like.

Changing rubber on the rims should not be a problem if a tire dealer does it and knows about the sensors. If you do it, be careful with the tire iron around the valve stem area. Changing out the sensors is a matter of removing the valve stem and reinstalling with new gaskets - they are a bit expensive however. Then a dealer has to electronically link the new sensors to your vehicle.

There is a reset switch for the tire pressure sensors under the dash. You'll have to search this site to find a post about it and how to specifically reset it.

Lexus tends to recommend low tire pressues so you might put an extra 3 or 4 pounds (whatever that is in metric) and see if the dash light goes off. Remember to do the spare.

Thank you for your advice. I understand that were I to change the rubber, it should not affect the sensors as they are on the rim and are not attached to the rubber (please correct me if I am wrong).

Many thanks again

Thank you for your advice. I understand that were I to change the rubber, it should not affect the sensors as they are on the rim and are not attached to the rubber (please correct me if I am wrong).

Many thanks again

correct the TPMS is built into the valve stem and base of the stem. Putting on a new tire will not effect the TPMS system. The tire shop may offer a TPMS service which simple consists of changing out the seals and gaskets. Most reputable shops know what they are doing because so many vehicles have TPMS nowadays. I just had mine done and there is no problem. The electronics stay put and don't have to be reprogrammed.

steviej

Many thanks to all. I replaced the tires last weekend, leaving the same pressure sensors, all went just okay.

There were a number of suggestions on the forum that the tire pressure per Lexus manuals is lower than needed (32 psi per the manual and people suggested using 34 psi). Really, with 32 psi of air it flashed the low tire pressure indicators. Now I got nitrogen at 32 psi sharp and the indicator does not flash.

• 4 weeks later...
set the tires to the pressure you want/like and then reinitialize the TPMS system. (instructions are in your manaul and very simple).

This will set the target pressure to what you currently have in the tires.

steviej

Thanks, Stevie, my last post was confusing -- what I meant is that all is okay now. With 32 psi of air the indicator flashed all the time (assume because of temperature changes in my place) but with 32 psi of nitrogen all is well. Thanks. (BTW, there are no instruction in GX470 manual as to how to reset the TPMS system but I think I saw this option in the service menu).

• 3 weeks later...
set the tires to the pressure you want/like and then reinitialize the TPMS system. (instructions are in your manaul and very simple).

steviej

Thanks, Stevie, my last post was confusing -- what I meant is that all is okay now. With 32 psi of air the indicator flashed all the time (assume because of temperature changes in my place) but with 32 psi of nitrogen all is well. Thanks. (BTW, there are no instruction in GX470 manual as to how to reset the TPMS system but I think I saw this option in the service menu).

steviej

HowThanks, Stevie, my last post was confusing -- what I meant is that all is okay now. With 32 psi of air the indicator flashed all the time (assume because of temperature changes in my place) but with 32 psi of nitrogen all is well. Thanks. (BTW, there are no instruction in GX470 manual as to how to reset the TPMS system but I think I saw this option in the service menu).

how do you reset the tpms