1999 Rx300 Check Engine Light

TigerTailgater

I am hoping I an get some info about the Check Engine Light on my 1999 RX300. I did a search and was unable to locate the answer to my question. My daughter has this car at college and called me yesterday and said the light was on and sometimes it flashes. I know with my Honda and previous vehicles the Check Engine light on means some sensor is usually malfunctioning. The manual is in the car, so I can not check what it has to say about the flashing.

If anyone could educate and advise me I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to be able to have her drive it the 100 miles home so my machanic here could check it out here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

As long as it seems to be running fine she should be able to drive home OK. Have her make sure that the gas cap is on tight as this will throw a CEL, also the vacuum hose behind the air cleaner will throw a CEL if it has come off. Those are the easy ones, you need to have it hooked to a code reader to know for sure.

Jeff

If your daughter takes the car by her local Auto Zone, they will read the codes for her and give her a printout of the fault codes and will attempt to reset them.

This is something they will do for free and that will at least tell you if it is safe for her to get home.

Like Jeff said though, have her check that gas cap. My wife had this happen several times in our RX300...if the cap is loose (make it click 3 times!), the CEL will reset after driving a couple days or after the Auto Zone guys reset it.

HTH,

~Brian

I just got that the other day, a flashing check engine light. I plan on hitting Autozone myself, but looking around the internet, I'm seeing a flashing check engine light being connected to the engine misfiring. I'll know in a couple of days, I can post what I find.