Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

I have a '99 es300 with 83000 miles. I bought it 4 months ago. It's been running just fine, til recently when start-up issue occurs. Whether the engine is hot or cold, sometimes turning on the engine it shuts off immediately. I'd have to wait a few minutes come back and it would start up normal. The other issue is the A/C. It seems to be working normal, just that when the whether really hot I'd have to turn to high in order to get enough "cold" air. The minute the a/c is on, it's pumps extremely cold air. Then 10 or 15 minutes later, the air is not as cold any more.

• 2 weeks later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

2003 ES 300, 52,000 miles, silver

Puchased 2005 for good price with 34,000 miles, off lease

Had 50,000 service at Toyota dealer, brakes

Just had A/C redone, water pump replaced, $800 at Toyota dealer

Car runs great. Amazingly smooth. one major problems not been address yet:

Car Audio is not working, there is power in the display screen but no sound is coming from the speakers, i heard that the problem might be from the amplifier, but unfortunatly i'm not able to find where it is, if anyone has any ideas please share...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

1997 ES Silver/Grey

Winter package

Purchased 04/2008 for $5,000 with 126K on the odo.

This is my second ES, my first was a 1996 ES 300 Coach Edition.

Both have been awesome cars!

The 1997 was in perfect condition, I'm the second owner. I had to replace 3 tail light bulbs, (the dummy light is still telling me it's out for some reason) and rotated the tires.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Mine is a '98 ES300 gold colored.

purchased 4 yrs ago for $8000 with ~ 140,000 mi. on her (from an auction)

My dad bought this car for my older sister. She promptly neglected to take care of the car, resulting in many paint chips, some rust, and several dings in the body.

now, with 183,000 miles, the car passes on to me, and I have decided to fix her up for her golden years

only problems that i can remember thus far is the wheel going out of alignment. despite all the miles she still runs smooth. also, and this isn't necessarily a problem, i only manage to get about 16 mi/gallon out of her. it's 90% NYC driving, but I drive very conservatively and still get poor mileage. hm.

what i've done so far -

1) new rotors and pads (self installed)

2) purchased new b-pillars and lexus emblems (waiting to be delivered)

3) new spark plugs/air filter/fuel injector/wiring cables/engine oil+filter (done with local mechanic)

mods so far - 20% tint all around (exluding windshield of course)

- aftermarket sony bt2600 stereo unit, and single din dash kit. both purchased from ebay and still waiting to be delivered. I'm going to buy a harness from best buy and self install hopefully this weekend :D

plan to

change timing belt/water pump/valve cover gaskets (with same mechanic) and fix body damage (doing so with a friend, but still will cost ~ $800!!! i should ask my sister to pay for it :angry: )

I'm also shopping around for new rims (looking at sc430 rims at the moment)

all this on a full time college student budget =/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello, I have a 92 ES300 and believe my CV Joints are going out, (clicking, etc.) 2 questions;

What can I expect to spend for them?

Can I do the install myself?

Thanks!

I replaced the passengers side on my 92 es300 -- look at spending about $100 for a new half-shaft axle. I bought the camry book and followed the directions. ;)

I just purchased a 2003 silver ES300 about a week ago. Everything is great with this car except the drivers door locking actuator is making a grinding noise when you lock the car electronically. Anyone have an idea how much this would cost to repair?

• 2 weeks later...

1995 Lexus ES300

1 owner before me, given to me($0)

major problems include suspension, tune up, check engine light on(sometimes blinking)

minor problems include sunroof tilts open/close but wont slide back, cd changer gives error on radio, interior not so bad, just stained carpet and worn/torn leather seats

No mods done just yet but will come soon. Plan on replacing the speakers and tweeters and adding an amp and subs.

• 2 weeks later...

2001 es300 bought in 2004 for 14.5k 2nd owner.had 78k when I bought it in 2004 Now has 108k.Car has been trouble free had brakes replaced and rotors resurfaced.

Now has cel and trac off light.took to advance auto came up with P1135(bank1 sensor1)my mechanic confirmed this.Another shop ran scanner and said all readings were within tolerances.

After many struggles finding correct part.Advance sold me one a Bosch which didnt correct problem Bosch says this part( #15733)is downstream(after cat)The oem was nearly $200 for upstream.

found a universal o2 at BAP/Geon for $50 Denso part #4209. matched wires but cel light came right back on again. I will check code again

Are there only 3 o2 or air fuel sensors for this car? the oem denso part looked the same but plug was different.Is the wiring harness different from bank 1 to bank 2?Please help as I am getting very frustrasted,Car runs fine I am already out nearly $200 (so much for self diagnosis) but lexus dealers are so high I will take back to my mechanic and will report findings later this week.Any input will be greatly appreciated

Mickster52

2001 es300 bought in 2004 for 14.5k 2nd owner.had 78k when I bought it in 2004 Now has 108k.Car has been trouble free had brakes replaced and rotors resurfaced.

Now has cel and trac off light.took to advance auto came up with P1135(bank1 sensor1)my mechanic confirmed this.Another shop ran scanner and said all readings were within tolerances.

After many struggles finding correct part.Advance sold me one a Bosch which didnt correct problem Bosch says this part( #15733)is downstream(after cat)The oem was nearly $200 for upstream.

found a universal o2 at BAP/Geon for $50 Denso part #4209. matched wires but cel light came right back on again. I will check code again

Are there only 3 o2 or air fuel sensors for this car? the oem denso part looked the same but plug was different.Is the wiring harness different from bank 1 to bank 2?Please help as I am getting very frustrasted,Car runs fine I am already out nearly $200 (so much for self diagnosis) but lexus dealers are so high I will take back to my mechanic and will report findings later this week.Any input will be greatly appreciated

Mickster52

Update

Finally got correct part Bosch o2 sensor OE #13540 apparently no universal fit available for this sensor. advance auto sells for $208. Denso(part# 234-9021) is around $160 if you shop around. Anyway problem solved so far. Apparently lexus uses air /fuel sensors before catalyst maybe because of calif. emissions ,Anybody out there can verify this I'd like to know,btw oxygensensors.com is an excellent site to determine which sensor you need.

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone, I'm a new user to this forum. I'm also on clublexus. Anyways I have 2 Lexus vehicles. A 1992 SC 300 and a 1993 ES 300 Coach Edition.

And the Stats:

20, male.

Cars I owned: (first car to last) 93 ES 300 (still own this car), 88 Supra n/a w/hks mods, 89 Supra turbo, 91 Eagle Talon TSI, 91 Mercedes 190E 2.6, 92 SC 300 (Still own this car).

I'm the 3rd owner of both these cars. I bought the ES back in 2004, and the SC in 2005.

The SC 300.

I spent $6,000 buying the car.

It has 111K right now.

The mods and accesories: Gold License Frame (front and back) $100. Short ram intake - $40. FULL wood dash Kit - $200. Front Bra: $30. Gold Emblems - Priceless (it was already on the car) NGK iridium spark plugs - $26

Oil: Mobil 1 5w-30 Fully Synthetic

TRD oil Filter: $15

91 Octane gas used.

Insurance (6 months) : $1,500 (Liability only)

What I do with it? Take it to the max speed (about 152mph, then the rpm redlines like crazy) Drive it daily to school, work, show off to the integra-civic racers what a 2JZ is all about.

The ES 300.

It's a coach edition (rare for a 93+)

Again I got it for $6000.

It has 147K on the chasis. (I blew a head gasket)

I just dropped in a 30-50K JDM motor.

The Labor: $1,420

The motor (long block): $748

Mods: Gold License frame - $50. K&N air filter replacement - $60. New projectors - $400. Silverstar bulbs - $40. Blue Fogs (Equivalent to HID lighting) $40. TSW EVO chrome rims: Priceless (it came with the car, but I sold them for $250, and got some OEM wheels, the tires for the TSW's were wearing out too fast, and the rims were scratched up already) And again, the Gold Emblems. NGK iridium spark plugs - $26

Insurance (6 months): $820 (Liability only)

What I do with it? Park it in the garage from haters. (I can't believe that people hate on my ES when I had the TSW EVO rims, dang it's only an ES.. with better looking wheels than now)Took it to the max speed to 135-138 once (Yes I am crazy) Drive it to school, work (switch off with the SC300 when I'm Low on gas) My dad uses the car sometimes for trips to L.A.

Pictures: The ES picture is in poorer quality because it was taken with a philips key chain camera. The pictures were taken at different times.

Ds92_sc300.jpg

frontviewlexus.jpg

No I'm not spoiled, I worked my @$$ off for these cars.

where did you get the blue fog lights?

hey peeps, i have a black 93 es300 (first car) and im 20. $960 yearly for ins. i live in northwestern Los Angeles, about 20 miles from downtown

my dad bought it for my mom 3 years ago but since i acquired my license first at 17 i got to keep it B)

i think it cost in the vicinity of 5k-6k. most likely only 1 previous owner. exact mileage is unknown because the odometer burned out about a year and a half ago when it had 123600 miles, so the mileage now is estimated at somewhere around 134k.

problems have been several but since i know enough auto mechanics to do stuff myself ive saved a bunch of money just on labor costs:

a)3 window motors so far LF, LR, and RR: got them for about $75 each from ebay ($400-$500 each from Lexus!!). no labor; did them myself (2 years ago, over the course of 1 and half years)

b)Both CV boots: about $120 for the set of the boots for both sides from toyota dealership. no labor; some friends and i (2 years ago)

c)power steering hose leak: about $110 for a 6-8 feet hose that goes from PS pump up behind the engine comes across to the front into the radiator fan from toyota dealership. no labor; did it myself. (2 and half years ago)

d)radiator crack developed on top near the cap:my dad deemed that i was not suited to fix it myself so he used his own tech and radiator itself (not original) and labor were about $200 (which came out of mypocket :angry: )(last year)

e)some moron bent the antenna while i went into the library for 10 minutes (the antenna was stuck up). so i painfully broke it off completely. i can still listen to FM radio but not AM (then again who needs AM). the antenna motor still runs when i turn the car on and off and havent done anything about it. (last year)

f)driver's seat cut open right under the butt area. thinking of taking it upholstery before it gets wider (10 months ago)

g)sunroof made a cracking sound when i was closing it. now the left side of it wont tilt up and when i slide it and want to close it a gap remains on the left side (stuck a pen from inside so it water doesnt go thru the gap) (4 months ago)

h)odometer burned out, backlight gage lights burn out (havent done anything about it yet)

i)i do brake jobs, oil changes, and spark plugs myself which saves me tons of money :)

other than that, i enjoy taking my car to the canyons and on long trips (just took a 1400 mile round trip to redwoods NP (in northern california) in the summer and a 400 mile trip to sequoia NP in winter). the car banks a little too much so ive been considering putting new shocks. stock rims. tint peeled off and only rear windshield contains the remaining tint glue so im peeling it off very slowly. overall its a sweet ride and a nice chick magnet when u show them the key B)

thanks for reading me out :D

• 3 weeks later...

1999 ES 300 Lexus

93,000 miles

I purchased in Jan 08 from a dealer in Miami.

I haven't had many problems from it until last night.

Brand new tires, new Struts, new Battery, new, Starter.

Latest issue:

I was driving home from work last night and my ABS lights started to flash along with the battery light.

As I stopped at a red light I shut my car off and tried to restart it.

It fired right up, but would not shift out of gear(park).

The dash lights were out, I couldnt move my seat, roll up my windows. or open my trunk.

When I checked the fuse box in the hood... the ALT fuse was completely fryed (melted), to the point where I cant even remove it.

I called my mechanic and he came and removed the gear shift cable in order to get it outta of gear, and then was towed to his house for futher inspection.

I have no clue whats going on.

Does this sound like an Electrical problem (Wiring)?? or an Mechanical problem (Trainmission)??

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys I have an '92 SC300 that I picked up cheap in damn near mint condition, but I have a few little problems with it. So if anyone on here can guide me to a place that can help me fix these problems it would be greatly appreciated:

1. Instrument cluster needles needs to be replaced. They don't light up all the way.

2. My passenger side window regulator guide is busted.

I've addressed Lexus about these problems, but they want a !Removed! fortune for the parts.

thanx

• 1 month later...

1996 Lexus ES300

Mileage when acquired: 38,400 Real, CarFax confirmed (and leather seat confirmed--hardly broken in).

Paid $6,250, found the car on Craigslist here in the Los Angeles area. BTW take a look at online ads and notice that Camrys & Solaras 1996 - around 2002 go for even more money sometimes (with more miles) so I consider this a relative bargain, especially with all the features (sunroof, CD changer, leather, power etc.)

Previous owners: one retired woman (original owner--showed on CarFax), then the retired couple I bought it from--it was their special car kept in a garage.

Mods: 17 x 7 wheels, 215/50-17 tires. Much better handling, slightly firmer ride but worth it. Also much more stylish IMHO.

Repairs/upkeep: after I purchased it I did some Preventative Maintenance which included changing all fluids (Transmission, power steering, antifreeze, brake fluid), had the A/C freon filtered/re-charged. Front brake rotors were warped so changed them out along with new pads.

No problems at all so far--really nice car for the $7,000 I have in it.

Insurance: I think it's about $1500 a year? It's less than the 2000 Solara I replaced.

This site has been great for info. I see so many cars on here with 100k+ miles on them--I'll probably lose interest in the car before it wears out.

• 4 months later...
1994 ES300

Pearl and Platnium

Used Car Lot paid 9,800 in Feb of 2002 with 95,000 miles.

One owner lease is what Car FAX showed.

Had only a few minor problems and mostly the usual wear and tear parts

and some minor rust due to being in Ohio for first part of it's life from road salt.

Peplaced parts so far in order, rear struts, rear sway bushings and links, alternator,

battery, all 4 brakes, rotors, pads and one rear caliper.

Mods, DIY added 2-10" AudioBaun Sub woofers in the trunk boxes, 800Watt amp, connected auto on lead to the

factory amp under passengers seat so amp is on with stereo. Changed factory speakers to apline componets in the

front, 6X9 Rockford 3 way in the rear, also added a resistor to the rears to get more punch from sub

and less volume in the 6X9's, Much more balanced, killer sound for factory headend with 6 CD changer.

The pics below only show one sub, but now there are two, with a 2.5 Farad cap on the power feed, added much

better punch and no lights dimming on heavy bass notes. It all fit neatly inder the rear deck.

Engine - K&N filter.. no other engine mods.

This car other than one small rust spot on rear wheel well looks very new. Most people have no idea

it is a 15 year old car.

Pics at Pic's of my ES300

Only problem with the car at this time is Check engine light, Code PO135 which is O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1,

not sure which sensor that is yet, hoping some one can tell me on here.

Hello,

I have a 1992 es300 with 114902 miles on her. I'm the second owner. I am looking to sell it. I dont want to part it out because other than the paint on the roof and the hood the car is in really nice shape. The only problems with her are 1 the heater core intermittantly seem to get clogged. My mechanic flushed it and changed the control valves on it hoping that would fix it but after a few days it clogged again. The drivers set belt needs to be replaced and the front air vents dont put out air. So if you can pull a dash to fix two birds with one stone she is a good car. If you want to part her yourself that works too! I'm located near Philadelphia. I've read some of the previous posts. This car is immaculate on the dash, passanger and rear seats, The drivers seat is in very nice shape. Car is blue on blue.

Bob

2002 ES300 - Original Owner - 10/16/02

$43,665 from Bellevue, WA

Fully Loaded: Purchased NAV/Mark Levinson Audio Package

Chrome Wheels and tires - Originally $1,700

Problems:

1. Had defective rotors so Lexus replaced them No Charge within 1st year

2. Discovered within last Jan 2009 1 wheel has severe "bead Leak" took into

Discount Tire...recommends replacing chrome wheel...so far just been keeping

PSI at 35 for each tire...ok.....except for RR wheel....will check with another

3rd party to see if it can be fixed. According to DT the chrome finish is flaking

off causing it to not be a good fit between tire and wheel. Called Lexus and they

offered $300 credit towards next service call....better than nothing but seems

minimal since the same wheels today cost $850 ea. Refurbished through the net

costs $450 ea.

Insurance: Allstate - Annual Premiums - $654 - $1,000 deductible on Collision/Comp and No Rental or Towing.

Other than items noted above still in fairly good condition....some wear and tear on front driver's seat. Current OD 35, 569

After 1st 5k free Lexus service calls just had annual oil changes with Toyota dealer...alot cheaper than going through Lexus dealer. So far no other issues at this time!

• 3 months later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

ES-300 2003

1 owner

$38,000

Wilkie Lexus, Haverford, PA

7 years

Problems:

Rear driver side window does not work (not fixed)

Steering shaft assembly replaced in '09 - $479. 92,000 miles

A/C clutch relay replaced in '09 - $217. 92,000 miles

Fuel injection service in '07 - $130. 64,000 miles (Lexus recommended I do this again when brought in at 92,000 miles)

Also, front of car has many paint chips. More then any car I've owned.

All work done at Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ

No modifications

Age 62

Insurance costs in NJ = $900 yr

• 3 weeks later...

:D

I'm the new owner of a 1999 ES300.

Third owner

Purchased from an individual whose Dad was the first owner.

After having the tranny rebuilt, about six months later the car wont shift out of first.

I bought it from them for 500.00

NO its not a typo....... $500.00

car is in great shape

less wear than normal for 230000 mi

If I have to have the tranny rebuilt again, Ill only have 2500 in it and will have a great car.

I'm not expecting to have to do this because of the great info from here

I've learned that it is most likely the speed sensor.

I'll be purchasing a testor to see what codes come up.

Car should retail for about 5000 repaired but I plan to drive it to and from work for the MPG.

Looking foreward to many mods and few repairs after the initial.

Any other ideas as to the prob will be much appreciated but I know that without any codes its hard to say.

I'm 41 and have only had it for a week.

I'll post pics when I have time later.

Oh yeah.....Silver/Tan 2-tone

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All....

I recently purchased a 1998 es 300 from and auction in Brooklyn (uugghh). Ok I love lexus and have always love lexus. Well .. every since i bought the car the check engine light came on. so me not knowing much about cars I got a tune up thinking that it will take the check emgine light off but of course it didn't. I took it back to the auction dealer who said he changed the sensors and reported that the sensors will clear themselves. well the snesors go on and off and blink . I have called the dealer several times and he said to drive the car and they will clear themselves. anyway sick and tired of the dam sensorsas well as the car burning gas fast . i put gas in th ecar at least every day. well i took the car back to get a part that thatr the auction dealer said would fix the gas problem .. it didn't. so finally i broke down and took the car to lexus for a diagnostic test and they said that the car needs 3500 worth of work . I dam near passed out. He provided us with a list of things that needs to be fixed.. i dont want to think that i bought a lemon because its a LEXUS and I love my car . It drives so good and smooth. oh and did i mention that the passenger window rolls down but dont roll back up. the auto glass place said its electrical. Anyway her are the things lexus said needs to get done . can someone please help me navigate through this. i know that i can get the parts from various websites. However it would be q great help if somneone could explain to me what on the list i need to get done first and why. please tell me what part on the list will fix the running through gas problem.

here it goes

A/F sensor B1 S1

3 injectors [bank 1]

FR sway Bar links

FR Sway Bar Bushings

RR Sway Bar bushing

Exhaust intermid ( they said the pipe is rusted and leaks)

wheel ailiment

** they said i needs brakes and tires.( however i got brakes from online and going to have someone put them on)

did i mention that the lcd radio screen is black ...

love my lexus please help !!!!

thanks

1999 LEXUS ES300 EXTERIOR COLOR: CASHEMERE TAN INTERIOR COLOR:GRAY SUNROOF LEATHER 6 DISK CD CHANGER PAID:$5800.00 MARCH 17th 2010 MARCH 31st.2010: It runs beautifully, but, on the way home the day we bought it the engine light and trac off light came on. Took it and had the codes ran and it came back P1135 and P1155 which is oxygen sensors,bank 1 sensor 1 & bank 2 sensor 1. Took it to a mechanic and he said the sensors were okay that it was the ECM (electronic control module). So we took it for a second opinion and was told definately not the ECM it was the oxygen sensors.Got them replaced,lights went off. Stopped at the store turned car back on and both lights came on. Took it back to mechanic and he found messed up wire so fixed that and re-replaced O2 sensors. Lights went off. Drove it. Turned it off and back on,lights bcame back on. So we still are trying to find the source of the problem. Any ideas? I could use some advice. Alot of $ going out !!!! APRIL 5th.2010 Update: auto shop says that they need to re-replace the oxygen sensors with Denso brand sensors since thats what was originally on the car and that the lights will go off then. They had to order them from 2 different places . So been waiting for them to come in sinve Thursday April 1st! One came in today April 5th. Hopefully the other comes in 2 morrow and we can get this solved finally. No charge for the new sensors or labor since its their fault they didnt do it in the first place. And the time & $ I lost the past 2 weeks waitimg for them to fix this.I cant have it inspected till the lights are off so this is really getting to the point where i'm going to have a nervous breakdown! I'm sure it will be done soon, i just hate waiting!!!If U have any advise please,please,please post it. I could really use it! I love my car, but I want it fixed ,I need it inspected and i'm just not one of those people that can ignore the engine light being on. Some can, I can't...HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Man i should of been come to this thread well I got a 94' Es-300 got from this guy who seem to know this car had major problems and maybe why you he went from 2200 to 1700 :chairshot: here are a list of things i have done over the past 2 years stretch out and still doing things I put a-lot of money but i dont mine cuz i know when i finish it be worth it

replace Engine 1600.00 included cost of putting it in

Struts front 200.00 back 150.00

Oxygen sensors in front of engine 98.00 by exhaust manifold 120.00 after cat. 140.00

Egr value 140.00

Egr soloed 10.00 (salvage yard)

Vacuum values set 165.00 ( from Toyota dealership)

Speed sensor 160.00

Water pump including with changing the timing belt (400.00)Total Water pump 150.00

Lower control arm bushing 40.00

New Computer 300.00 (Online)

NGK spark plugs 8.00 each

Fuel filter 25.00

Starter 112.00

Now i'm working on the engine have a bluish smoke after I have ran it over 65MPH and let it set overnight trying heavier oil but it runs almost to Lexus specs and i'm proud of it it's my baby :D