Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

Hello to all

I have a 99 GS300. Bought it about 6 months ago. Had some problems when i got it at first, timing belt snapped which blew the head sky high, right front lower ball joint broke on me on the highway cruising at 65. almost *BLEEP* my pants what that happened.lol. after fixing her all up(new shocks, ball joints upper and lower, new head) i cant stop loving her. everytime i get in, its a wonderful ride, super comfy and quick as well.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a new GS because my older 98 gs300 served me so well. With that said, I'm keeping the old thing so i can do mods and stuff (I'll look like a joke driving a modded car to work). anyways...I've bought a so called "catback" from Tanabe, but when it arrived, there wasn't a mid-pipe...I should have paid more attention to the picture of the kit when ordering it. Does anyone know a company that makes a mid-pipe?...preferably one with a resonator, but still ok if missing resonator?

Also, I saw online that Megan makes a downpipe. when I took a look at my car, the header-downpipe-cat looked like it was one piece. anyone had experience with the Megan downpipe? how legal is it to drive without a cat in Ontario?

Last but not least...who's got a good induction system that they'd like to tell me about?

much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I have a black 2000 GS 300 platinum series with a little over 127k miles on it. It was handed down to me from my dad since I needed a car to get to my summer job.

The only real issues we've had with it were two freak accidents, one where a rock broke one of the fog lamps and another when the sunroof blew out suddenly when my dad was on the highway. And there are a few exhaust brackets that have rusted and have started to rattle. Oh, and then there is the time the car slid off the highway on a patch of ice at 15 mph.

Over all I think it's a great car and I look to upgrade with an air intake and/or new exhaust.

I know you posted this a while back, but I have a 2001 Gs300 as well, driveway had a light coating of snow and ice last week, took me 10 minutes to get car in the garage from slipping and sliding. Put on the ECT Snow, no better. Got me wondering, need advice as I live in Illinois. Love my car, paid $7100 from lot, considering selling and getting something else, lots of mystery with this car.

• 1 month later...

2000 GS 400, Platinum Series

Third owner

$7500 private sale, a week or two ago

110K miles, with a small dent, a windshield crack that doesn't bother me much, and a few scratches that I'll try to polish out.

Previous owner added 20" Giovanna wheels and Eibach springs. He said wheels were $4500 new, as I recall.

It's been very well maintained by both its previous owners and by Southern California dealerships.

Stock stereo was broken when I bought it (the only other deficiency I've noted so far), so I added an alpine 5 channel amp, alpine stereo, kit and harness, and crossovers for $1100 including installation.

I'm not sure how to upload documents, but I have good pdf's of the repair manual (sans navigation), wiring diagram, and new car features if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Really new to this forum. It looks great and I'm excited to spend hours, days months years researching the threads as I have recently made the decision to do anything I can on my car myself ...

I have a'00 GS 400 that I use as my daily driver and clone taxi. I'm the 2nd owner. Bought it from Field's Infinity in Glencoe, IL for 12,900 in Sept. '08 so I've had it for 2.5 years almost. It had about 90k on it then and it's up to almost 125k now. It was sooo cherry when I bought it and it's holding up pretty well considering ...

I've not had any real problems with it until recently and they're not even problems really, just replacing normal wear and tear items ...

Last Spring I had the rear rotors turned and pads replaced, oil just because, and a bunch of regular service stuff recommended by Bredeman Lexus in Glenview, IL (that was around $1000 if I remember correctly). I also wanted them to look at the front brakes because of a wobble under hard and fast braking. They said that it wasn't anything serious and advised to wait till I wore a few more mm off the front pads to repair/replace ...

FF to this last week - Took it in for the front brakes: new rotors, new pads and a new right front caliper ($1400) plus they wanted $2225 to replace the UCAs and LBJs on both front left and right! I hesitated and only authorized the brake work - big regret because looking at the suspension cost (them vs. DIY) I decided to start getting greasy again and do it myself. Now that I'm going to be down there anyway I could have done the brakes myself, upgraded them to something awesome and still save some cash! Oh well, spilled milk and all ...

The new brakes work awesome tho ...

I'm replacing the UCAs and LBJs next week pending part delivery and while I'm down there I'm going to replace the shocks with KYB GR2s and I'm trying to find out if there's anything else i should do while I’m down there as well. Bushings, tie rods, dunno yet ...

I would like to mod it eventually, but not until it's no longer my daily. I've got my eyes on a cold air intake, mod chip and Borla exhaust for starters. Then if I like that I might upgrade the brakes and suspension as well. We'll see ...

I've got skills, but lack knowledge and experience on this make so wish me luck ...

Any advice is also welcome ...

Pics will come eventually ...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I have a black 2000 GS 300 platinum series with a little over 127k miles on it. It was handed down to me from my dad since I needed a car to get to my summer job.

The only real issues we've had with it were two freak accidents, one where a rock broke one of the fog lamps and another when the sunroof blew out suddenly when my dad was on the highway. And there are a few exhaust brackets that have rusted and have started to rattle. Oh, and then there is the time the car slid off the highway on a patch of ice at 15 mph.

Over all I think it's a great car and I look to upgrade with an air intake and/or new exhaust.

I know you posted this a while back, but I have a 2001 Gs300 as well, driveway had a light coating of snow and ice last week, took me 10 minutes to get car in the garage from slipping and sliding. Put on the ECT Snow, no better. Got me wondering, need advice as I live in Illinois. Love my car, paid $7100 from lot, considering selling and getting something else, lots of mystery with this car.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

99 toyota aristo. Big wheels, supporting mods for higher boost, (can post full mod list if interested) Built block/head/trans, garrett 4082, 516hp@1.1 bar. Just recieved it yesterday and cant keep from driving the damn thing :)

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have a GS400. I just have a problem this morning - OBDII show P1120 and P1121 (TPS and PPS) that turn on VSC and stop vehicle.

Question:

Should I replace both sensors to result the issue?

exactly where they are located under hook?

Is there anything else that I should check?

Thanks a lot for your advice,

Dat

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

2000 Silver/Black Platinum Edition GS 400, 2nd owner, bought for $6,500 in December 2011 from a friend, bought at 122,000 miles, 1st owner always fixed it at dealer, no mods, I am 31 and I pay $237/year in insurance for the car! Sorry, no pictures right now.

I have a "pumping air" noise that come from the back of the engine bay, near the driver. It sounds like it is in the brake system area. Has anyone heard about this? Is it a problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all im new to this site as well as a new lexus owner. I bought a 98 gs400 with 94,000 on the clock. i have a problem with the keyless entry sytem and i was hoping someone could shed some light on it. the transponder does not unlock or lock the doors. The power locks do work, the key has a new battery and the little red light on the key comes on when i depress the unlock button. I even tried to reprogram the key with the car all to no avail. has anyone had similar problems? I have read through the treads and could not find anything like this. Its not my door lock acuators. any input is much apriciated.

2002 GS300. Car has randomly not started a few times over the last few months. ZERO electrical. No dash lights or any lights at all. First time I got the car jumped thinking it was the batt and that worked, they said the alternator and batt were fine. Second time was a s a gas station after filling up. Played with the large fuses and and electrical came back. Yesterday was the worst. Car had no electrical at start, tried a few more times and the car started and regained electrical. Then later that night, the car died while driving. Lost all electrical went black. Thank god I was in parking lot stopping at a stop sign. Turned ignition on a few times and re-gained and electrical and started. This morning it will not start, I played with the large fuses, starter, and engine and no luck. No electrical at all.

• 1 month later...

One of my power door locks doesn't lock. I manual have to lock the door. :(

I would hit the power door lock switch or on my key fob. Sometime that door will unlock and somtime not. It will not lock at all

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2001 GS430, 2nd. owner.

My GS430 I've had for a few years now, love it. I put a few miles on her, has 144,000 miles now,runs like a champ and engine never smokes. When I bought it the drivers door lock actuator was bad (still is). The engine mounts were bad and the front left lower control arm was bad. All was repaired at Lexus dealer for $2400. Just recently the passenger door lock actuator just failed. The roof liner squeaks once in a while, have to shift the moon roof shade to help stop noise. Engine under body frame squeaks and Lexus dealer says this is normal for the age vehicle. The radio back light failed but radio work well. Other than that the car rune like a dream, fast with lots of torque from the engine..

I need info on the engine frame torque specs and how to remove the driver and rear passenger door panel to get to actuators, please.

After 9yrs of ownership & over 200k miles. Car still bullit proof. Ultra quiet, run & ride like new. Only problem I had was the starter. The only mods I've done was chrome door handles, 18' chrome staggered wheels came off IS350. Bilstein shocks & struts, eibach springs.

• 4 weeks later...

New to the club so forgive me if i mess anything up :P

I got me a champagne 2000 GS300, had it since i moved to the USA from the UK (just over 2 years now) and the thing is an absolute beast. Coming from a Renault to this has certainly made me feel proud of my car :D

I havent done anything to it as of yet but I work for Creative Car Audio in Bellevue so i will be putting some serious sounds into this pretty soon (even though the Levinson system in it sounds !Removed! good)

As of now, im looking to do simple aesthetics such as tint, alloys and possibly lowering the ride by a small amount until i get my full sounds system i want into this thing. I got a double din Pioner radio, Infinity amp/sub planned too. After which il be working on the engine (cleanest thing ever!!)

Btw are there any car meets in the area? link me if so please :)

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2001 Lexus gs300. it's a very clean car and runs very smooth, but there's a problem with it. The car jerks when i press the acceletator slowly (changing from 1st gear to 2nd). I have no idea why it does that. (OR IS IT NORMAL?) IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Thank You!

I have a 2005 GS 300 my radio does not work the dealership said I need a new amplifier wear is the amplifier located in the car. I want to buy one on eBay or should I check the junk yard crazy rays. Also something is draining my battery the car won't start if sits for 24 hours. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys :) This is what I'm working with

1. Gs300, 1999

2. Unknown amount of owners

3. I owned it since October 2 of 2012 it has a few issues the bushings need to be replaced there's an oil leak near the right side valves. The actuators on doors don't work and it needs an alignment. im also gonna get paint and some body work done as well. I haven't had those problems fixed just yet

4. I'm 20 years old

5G45W55P43E93G53l4c9u8b3224695da2185d_zps13c09b99.jpg

• 3 months later...

99 GS300. Im third owner. Last owner was not nice to this car. Had all sorts of SVC/ABS/emissions codes. So far Ive put an alternator, plugs, wires n boots, oil filler cap, new header/cats, had seats redone, recovers center console myself, a deep cleaning. Other than that car runs great for having so many miles. Just aquired the "hamster wheel" sound behind the glove box so looks like a servo motor DIY coming up...

I have a 2005 GS 300 my radio does not work the dealership said I need a new amplifier wear is the amplifier located in the car. I want to buy one on eBay or should I check the junk yard crazy rays. Also something is draining my battery the car won't start if sits for 24 hours. Any ideas?

Factory amp is behind the glove box. its mounted vertically to the right of the filter cabin access door.

• 9 months later...

1998 Lexus GS 300

3rd Owner

First owner looks like he took great care of it but the Second owner just ran it to the ground.

valve cover seal is busted. I need to relapce it. Check engine light is on and the low oil light is on.

transmission has been replaced.

I just bought a Lexus 1998 GS 300 and it came on 22 inch rims. What stock rims would fit on it besides the stock GS?

Would the IS250 or RX300 fit on it?