1999 Lexus GS300 - 227K miles
Previously A Fleet Vehicle
1000$
Owned for 1.5yr - 2k in repairs
All repair was DIY
Been making repairs as needed since its purchase
No mods

Vehicle Currently overheats - I've replaced the following:

Thermostat, water pump, relay's & fuses, temperature switch @ bottom of radiator and upper radiator hose.

Radiator and A/C condenser are clear of debris. Fans run when 12v power is supplied to them, they also run when the A/C is on. Fan's DO NOT turn on when coolant starts to boil and temp gauge passes half way mark on gauge cluster.

Radiator fluid is clean, no oily residue or buildup of any kind. Burped the system when completed with hardware repair to make sure there was no air in the system.

Short of a new radiator and radiator cap, I have replaced everything in line with the cooling system, unless Im missing something, I am at a complete loss at this point.

Initial problem was discovered when the water pump started leaking coolant from the spindle connected to the pulley wheel.

I cannot figure out why the fans won't kick on?!

Other issues that have been with the car prior to my purchasing it: Horn doesn't work, cig lighters don't work, VSC lights are on.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1994 GS300 (189,000 miles) also with the same problem BUT with repeated turns of the key in the ignition, it ALWAYS turns over. Been doing this for about 8 months now. I have a new battery, new battery cables and the alternator and starter have been inspected and they pass all tests. The starter was replaced about 5 years ago.

Something in the ignition system isn't working properly. I've taken it to numerous mechanics and they basically don't know what to do since it seems to always turn over when they try it. The last mechanic said: Just replace the starter/solenoid and be done with it! I find it hard to spend $400 to $500 to fix something that is only partly broken.

I guess it depends on your needs...does the car run ok when it does start? Mine still runs great. If it does run ok, then by all means be done with it and get a new starter, This GS300 should go another 150,000 miles!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forums and new to the Lexus world all together. I've own infiniti g20 and quite a few Hondas! I have a 93 gs300 and I'm excited about having it. I've had it for about 8 months!I just installed a brand new walbro fuel pump(high pressure is what is said on the box which isn't as loud when the idles as I thought it would be). I installed a new external fuel filter as well..and a new battery. I just hooked the new battery up and tried to start the car..it started and then died. After it died, I heard the fuel pump prime. Started it again and it fired up with no problem. This scenario has happened twice. Any idea? It only has a little over a quarter tank of fresh gas and seafoam in the tank

• 5 months later...

1999 GS300 purchased new in October 1998 at Butler Lexus in Macon GA. Purchase price approx. $46k

State Farm Insurance, $250 deductibles - $750/year premium

options: High Intensity headlights and Nakamichi Premium Stereo

Black exterior, beige leather interior

Serviced by Butler Lexus for the first 6 years. Then used Raffield or local shop for oil changes, brakes, batteries, and tires.

In the last 3 years, I have used a Toyota dealer mechanic who charges very low labor fees. He did an excellent job on the headlights to remove the yellow. Just replaced HID bulbs for the first time last year.

This car has been just wonderful! I checked out a lot of luxury sedans before I decided on this one. Never regretted the purchase!

In the past, I never kept a car more that 6-7 years. I have yet to see another vehicle that I would rather have. I really like the design of these cars better than the new ones. I would like my next vehicle to be a high performance, luxury, ELECTRIC car.

Repairs: in 2011, Raffield Tire Master convinced me that I needed a new drive belt. I was sorry afterwards - my

engine did not sound the same! I fought with them, but to no avail.

2012 needed a new starter - my Toyota mechanic took care of that.

I now have 207,000 miles on it (hope to get 100k more). Just spent way too much money, $2300, getting timing belt package, oil leak repairs, engine cleaned, and fuel induction service. The price was worth the peace of mind though.

a few rear enders and deer encounters - all body repairs at Harrison's Body Shop Macon GA

Problems:

1. I have been hearing a screeching noise when I use the brake pedal, not consistently but irritating.

Lexus said I needed a new Brake Actuator which they want over $2000 to replace. HELP!!!

2. Driver door power window doesn't line up consistently, especially after visit to a drive thru, leaving irritating wind noise. It seems repair costs prohibit correcting that irritation.

3. Passenger front door lock doesn't lock with the remote key. Again, not worth the repair costs.

4. I have been negligent about taking care of my leather. I wish I knew how to repair a couple of cuts and scratches. I don't know who to trust with that. Any suggestions??

5. several years ago the display screen for the stereo system bled out.

6. I am researching how to connect my Iphone to my car speakers. If anyone knows about a device that will do that, Please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from some of you who may have had or are having some of the same issues.

Happy Driving!

• 1 month later...

01 gs300, purchased used in 2008 from Island Motors in Baton Rouge, La. Insured by Safeway auto ins. Have liability, 720.00$ a yr premium. Gold exterior with biegeinterior. Repairs have been with a local mechanic shop where I live and also have a friend who is very handy when it comes to repairs. Had the drive belt change by shop then my buddy changed my water pump timing belt, camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, sparkplugs, wires were good. This was the 2nd timing belt and spark plug change, the first time was before I purchasedit by the previous owner. Only the passenger front door will lock and unlock with the fob, the other 3 have to be locked by hand or manually. Currently im having acelerator stalling problems, when I nail the gas it will hesitate but if I slack off on the trottle it will eventually pick up speed but it doesnt have the power there it should habe, oh I also did a motor vac flush about a yr or so ago. I thought this problem may be the tranny speed sensor, ive also looked at other members posts and some said it was the oxygen sensor, I had 2 of them changed about 3 yrs ago, I sure would appreciate some feedback, there is 192,000 miles on the car, ive been using mobile 1 oil and run some sea foam from time to time in it, crankcase and gas tank, I love my lexus and was contemplating installing 2 nice sounding peformance mufflers for some good sound and a little more pick up if that would be rcommended, I have a knN air filter on it which gave it a little more get up.

• 3 weeks later...

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 vertex edition (japanese version of lexus gs with toyota supra engine)

-second owner

-111000kms (about 69000 miles)

-imported from japan, paid just about $7000

-have had it for about 4 months

-no mods, put some wheels that were laying around in the garage on(gotta get some new ones as well as coilovers in the summer)

10405377_10152796397693793_3800892541254

10360360_10152688469908793_4394636736474

10574296_10152653683488793_5799708241724tumblr_n5r8wy7dk81qhfpi4o3_1280.jpgtumblr_n5r8wy7dk81qhfpi4o4_1280.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm from Boston mass and I have a 98 gs300 . Things beautiful tan with the beige interior about 170,000 miles . cons: leaks transmission fluId but besides that it was fine . Was driving today and the car shut off out of no where and wouldn't start again . Gradually lost Power and no it doesn't start and makes noise soon as you turn the key in the transmission . Looking for a little advice or maybe c information about what's wrong

• 4 months later...

Good evening all. I'm the owner of a 1998 GS400, second owner bought it with 110,000 on the dash back in 2006. Since I have put another 100K on her with little to no problems.....until now. The shaking as I slow down is becoming worst and worst as I drive in to work. Has anyone else experience this problem. I haven't driven the car much in the last three years as I just returned from living abroad. Any suggestions.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a beautifully aged, Cinnabar Pearl (or orangish red in layman's terms), 1998 GS400. I'm the third owner of the car and I bought it for $3800 in Dayton, Ohio. I bought it with 190k on it and it drives like it just came off the production line, that's actually just all speculation on my part. The only thing I've done to it so far is replace the B2S2 O2 sensor, and that cost me around $70 and a few hours of cursing. The only other thing that's off about it is the head unit has some weird quirks, but in the grand scheme of things it's not bad at all. Future mods may include: turning into a convertible, changing the oil, and doing a front wheel drive conversion.

Hello Lexus Peps! I got a 2001 GS300 that my mom gave it to me 2ys ago with a 9k obo.presently its 31k obo. My problem right now is when i go 60-70mph, the steering wheels shake and when applying the brakes theres a pulse i feel on the brake pedals. i went to a local shop they said they have to change the brake rotors. then I agree to have them change brake rotors ang brake pads. 2 days after when I test it on the freeway, the same problem I have. i went back at the shop again they check,wheel balancing then off again. when i test it on the freeways again nothings change. Ive been coming back at the shop but they cant get what causes the problem. Hope you guys have a better idea what to do. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a 2002 Gs430 lexus with 189k on it. Ive followed all maintainence but my car just started making a humming sound from center of dash intermittenly. Does anyone know how to fix or what it is?

• 5 months later...

I'm embarrassed to show my 1999 GS 300 because she still a work in progress. I've had her for about 3 years now, no problems till recently. She has over 215,000 miles and no mods as of yet, the only one mod is a K&N filter with the purple stuff running in her. That's pretty much it. The problems I'm having right now, and I do need some good suggestions on what to do, is... My throttle position sensor code p11123 not sure exactly the code because I don't have it in front of me but close to that number I just type. Please help me figure out exactly what I should do. I changed the throttle actuator or motor that controls the throttle flap, but not the TPS sensor, I feel it's the whole throttle body but I need to know if it's necessary to have replace the whole thing or throttle body. Please help.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2001 Lexus GS 300 and the rear door actuator seems not working.  I am trying to remove the door handle but it's very difficult to remove the screw from the inside.  Is there any easy way to remove the door handle in order for me to replace the door actuator?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me join my son has a 98 Lexus GS300 with a swapped 2jzgte non vvti engine, engine work was done by SVS performance shop here in El Paso tx. Swap took about 6 months or more to complete, ran into a bunch of roadblocks with wiring and extra parts. Finally got the car back, swap was done correctly just had a bunch of issues dealing with boost issues and wiring. Turbo number 2 wasn't coming on line and the mechanics said the turbo had seized up and we either needed to go single turbo or get another set of twins, so we took the car and my son drove it. Had a coil pack explode and killed the engine, ordered some super plugs and changed spark plugs. I came into some extra money and purchased another set of twin turbos for cheap. Took the car to another shop and they did the trouble shooting procedures and figured out some lines were not connected correctly and waste gate was left open, the mechanics made the adjustments and fixed connections and 370.00 later both turbos was boosting and back on the road. We are saving for a good single turbo kit for now so more to follow. So we have an extra complete set of twin turbos sitting in the garage. More to follow 

image.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Hello my 1993 GS 300 is running hot, I've put coolant in but that doesn't work, the overflow bubbles hot, I've tried turning on the heat and that doesn't work. now the engine light is on it wasn't on at first. All fans are working (there's only 3 that I can see). After driving for about 2-3 miles on the freeway, the temperature rises all the way pass the red. Could it be the radiator vent not opening or the thermostat? I was told that the engine, motor, transmission, and alternator are fine. My apologies, I don't have any pictures at this time.

• 5 months later...

Ok for starters I have 2001 2jz-ge gs300 with 210k miles. The car was running perfect till about 2 weeks ago. I've had a muffler delete on the car for quite some time now and never experienced and unusual noise other than that sexy 2jz. But in the recent days I believe an exhaust leak opened on my downpipe where the exhaust connects to the 3rd and last catalytic converter to be specific. My issue is a loud hissing noise everytime the rpms pass 1.5k and the engine feels extremely sluggish on acceleration. If I had to say the 0-60 time is now atleast 15 seconds where as it should be 7-8 seconds. It has a hard time keeping up with fast moving traffic from a stopped position. I did order a new downpipe hoping it will fix the issue. But Im not 100% why the car is having so much hesitation on acceleration. Thanks for your help!

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone.I have a 2000 gs400 with an issue right now that I can't figure out.

Car has 230,000 miles.Ive had the car for a year and have put 30,000 miles on it since I've had it.It gets regular oil changes,and I take great care of my car. It seems like alot of sensors have been goingvout on me.Ive replaced vvt solenoid sensors,camshaft positioning sensors,o2 sensors and now I'm having a knock sensor problem.The car will drive fine for mayve 5 minutes then looses power and response and exhaust gets louder and goes into limp mode😤.I already have straight pipe after the cats so it has a great tone but it gets deeper and different sounding.I replaced the knock sensors but code did not clear.I did not do the wire harness to them.You can't buy this separate from the entire wire harness which is around  $1,500 and I'm stumped...Ive thought of putting something together as far as a new harness to the knock sensors using a different harness from a car that I can get the wires from.I guess there specific shielded wires?This is all new to me and I'm stuck.I traced the wires back as far as I could and found no obvious damage.Im really hoping someone can shed some light on my problem here.Any feedback gratefully appreciated. 

• 5 months later...

2000 GS300, 3rd owner, purchased for $1900.00 1've owned since 12/15.

I've replaced all 4 struts, front control arms, motor mounts, timing belt, all spark plugs and wires, oil valve. Motor oil pan gasket and trans. pan gasket. Car runs great but now every once in a while (last 2 months)the dash light will flicker on and off and the car shut down. I'm like "What the hell", it's done it 3 time already. Last time I had to call a Tow truck. Don't want to get rid off it but What could it be? Like around 6 months ago I had an aftermarket radio installed, Could this be the problem? Anti-Theft wiring?

• 2 months later...

Stanley,

Not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly (and could also be wrong), but the air that is supposed to come out of your dash is not controlled by engine vacuum. If you're referring to the the climate control system not working, that airflow is controlled by a dedicated blower. There's a whole host of things that could make your climate control not come on, but if you google "Lexus GS300 blower motor" there's a youtube video that shows you someone fixing a problem similar to yours. Hope that answers some of your question.

Edit: I'm so sorry I forgot you're not supposed to post in here, Stanley I'll DM you or look for the new thread you'll post this in.

Edited by MayorofEastCtown
I'm an idiot

• 1 year later...

Hi all 

J ai une lexus gs300 qui après entretien démarre mais aussitôt le moteur s arrête.

On a essayé toutes les solutions ça fait deux mois déjà que ça ne marche pas. 

Qui peut m aider à trouver une solution

• 4 months later...

Just bought my 2nd 2nd gen gs300 , first was a bit of a basketcase ,leaky cam seals ,PO put bigger injectors in ,supra front brakes and lil else 250k and rear wheel bearings started howling...motor had less miles but never really ran well....fastforward a cpl week's and I see another on CL $900 needed fender and headlight on pass side and a new belt tensioner pulley .

For being in Maine it is totally rust free, assuming it led a very pampered life as a business persons company car that likely rarely saw rain let alone salt...to its history I don't know much besides it sat in a garage for 3 years with....get this ...348k...touch the key and it purrs like it had 48k .With the exception of the stereo that was removed and the partially installed new system everything works flawlessly as it should. I am not sure how many *options* were available but I do seem to be lacking heated seats and no nav system if that was a thing in...oh the first one was a 98 and this new one is a 2000....to its credit and soon to be a part of the 2k's the 98 also has a fairly nice black interior 😊.

20190914_183242.jpg

IMG950220.jpg