15 replies to this topic

#1 tatmiko

tatmiko

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Model: 2004 rx330, 1998 es300

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

I have begun to notice some condensation under/in one of my headlights on my 2004 RX330. I assume the light is normally sealed so I must have a leak somewhere around the housing. Can I reseal the housing or am I going to need a replacement headlight? Any help would be appreciated. My older cars always had sealed beams so this problem is new for me.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 djspawn00

djspawn00

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Model: GS300

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

you can bake the light and separate it and re-seal it.... but they are not airtight and moisture in the air combined with temperature change could cause it to come back...

#3 harrymn

harrymn

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: RX330

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Last summer I had condensation in my left headlight ('05 RX330). After leaving car in full sun for a day, condensation disappeared. Then smeared vaseline over the seal gaskets around the edges of the headlight cover, wiping off excess (idea was to seal any incidental cracks). Has been fine since, including driving in an all-day rainstorm.

#4 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • Model: 2008 Rx400h AWD
Contributor

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Condensation occurs when there is a high pressure meeting a low pressure, hot meeting cold, or when he level of moisture inside the headlight is different than the surrounding air.

You don't have to worry about how the 'seal' is on the headlight, since the headlights already have open vents to exchange air from the inside to the outside and vis versa.

If you're getting condensation, you need to heat up the air inside of the headlight to drive out all the moisture. Use a blow dryer to do this. Then leave the backs of the headlights open (use the space designed to be opened to change the bulb) for a few hours to let the air inside and outside be the same. Then put everything back and you should be fine.

I've done a few headlight retrofits in my day- this solves the problem...

#5 LEXIRX330

LEXIRX330

Guru Member

• Super Moderator
  • 2,365 posts
  • First Name:David
  • Model: 2013 Range Rover Sport SC Silver Pkg - 2010 GX460 Premium Pkg - 2004 Harley Screamin Eagle "Deuce" -my toy!
  • Year: 2010

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

You can also try the little packs that come in jackets, sweaters and other clothing I can't think what they are called. :blink: I saw where someone said to tape a string to the end of the pack put it inside of the light and let it sit overnight. It will dry the condensation out. Then just pull it back out of the light and put your bulb back in.

Not sure if it will work but it may be worth a try.

#6 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
Contributor

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

You can also try the little packs that come in jackets, sweaters and other clothing I can't think what they are called. :blink: I saw where someone said to tape a string to the end of the pack put it inside of the light and let it sit overnight. It will dry the condensation out. Then just pull it back out of the light and put your bulb back in.

Not sure if it will work but it may be worth a try.

That's not a bad idea to use the desiccants, but you'd need a LOT of them and they'd have to sit in there for days and days... Just use a blowdryer to force the air out by quick evaporation...

#7 mccldwll

mccldwll

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Model: RX 330

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

I have begun to notice some condensation under/in one of my headlights on my 2004 RX330. I assume the light is normally sealed so I must have a leak somewhere around the housing. Can I reseal the housing or am I going to need a replacement headlight? Any help would be appreciated. My older cars always had sealed beams so this problem is new for me.

Lighting - Condensation in The Headlamps
BODY
BO003-07
REVISED
Title:
HEADLAMP CONDENSATION
Models:
'04 - '06 RX 330 (TMMC)
May 18, 2007

TSIB REVISION NOTICE :

^ June 18, 2007: The Parts Information table has been updated.
Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.
Introduction

Some customers may experience condensation or moisture forming on the interior of the headlamp of 2004 - 2006 model year RX 330 vehicles. New headlamps are available to address this concern. Use the following repair procedure to replace the headlamp assembly.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2004 - 2006 model year TMMC-built RX 330 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

#8 rufus T

rufus T

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: rx 330

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

[ I have had three lights replaced free on my 2005 rx. two under warranty one out. it cant be fixed just replaced.

#9 peteanello

peteanello

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Model: rx 330
  • Year: 2004

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Our '04 gets the condensation in the left headlight. I reported it once under warranty, but was told they didn't observe the problem (of course it had cleared up by the time of service). The problem occurs after a car wash or if driven in the rain, and then parked or driven in the sun. We are out of warrant now. Do you think Lexus would fix it at 80k miles?

#10 Orvis95

Orvis95

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Have the same problem with my 2005 RX. I was told by a mechanic that drilling 2 holes on the bottom of the head lamp will resolve the issue. Does anyone know if this will actually work? Will it be permanent?

#11 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Have the same problem with my 2005 RX. I was told by a mechanic that drilling 2 holes on the bottom of the head lamp will resolve the issue. Does anyone know if this will actually work? Will it be permanent?

this will help indeed. Just make sure to make a little foam plug so dust doesn't get in there.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the headlight differs from the air outside. Adding holes allows the air to vent in and out of the headlight so pressures, temps and moisture %'s are the same in and out.

#12 Running Ox

Running Ox

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

If I bought a set of headlights from Ebay, where can I install them? What kind of shop can do that? Thanks.

#13 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

If I bought a set of headlights from Ebay, where can I install them? What kind of shop can do that? Thanks.

You can do it yourself if you want. Or a body shop can certainly do it- they've done hundreds...

#14 Vegas RX330

Vegas RX330

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Model: RX330

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Lighting - Condensation in The Headlamps
BODY
BO003-07
REVISED
Title:
HEADLAMP CONDENSATION
Models:
'04 - '06 RX 330 (TMMC)
May 18, 2007

TSIB REVISION NOTICE :

^ June 18, 2007: The Parts Information table has been updated.
Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.
Introduction

Some customers may experience condensation or moisture forming on the interior of the headlamp of 2004 - 2006 model year RX 330 vehicles. New headlamps are available to address this concern. Use the following repair procedure to replace the headlamp assembly.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2004 - 2006 model year TMMC-built RX 330 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

I recently moved to New Mexico from Las Vegas, NV. We've had a weeks straight of rain, something we never had in Las Vegas. My front right headlight has so much condensation in it that there are actual drops of water hanging from the inside of the headlight. I got pulled over last night because my light kept going in and out.

I took it to the dealer today, because it is a certified pre-owned and they would not cover it under warranty. Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the Lexus Warranty folks and they refuse to replace it as well. Even with the TSIB information provided above. :censored: It's listed as "wear and tear"

They quoted me $1650 for the headlamp assembly (because apparently you can't buy the individual parts seperatly) and an additional $150 for labor - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Going to look for a cheaper part - maybe not OEM ( :unsure: ) - and have my husband install it for me. Made sure to ask if it would void any part of my warranty, the answer was no.

#15 cduluk

cduluk

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

Just buy a used headlight on ebay... You should be able to find one for easily less than $100.

Does your headlight have HID or halogen? If HID, afs or no afs? There are three different headlight types.

If yours is (HID) or (HID AFS) vs (halogen) then try to find one from a 2007-09 Rx350. They fixed the condensation issue for these years. They will still fit any 04-06 Rx330 with no probs or visible difference.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have