91 Ls400 Leather Care

91ls400

My 1991 LS has some pretty worn seats. The previous owner didn't take care of the leather at all. I had some cheap turtle wax brand leather cleaner/conditioner I used. The seats look better, but nothing amazing. What do you guys use to keep your seats at their peak? Is there a certain product or any special tricks to try?

You might try an old used car dealer's method. SoftScrub cleanser (yep, bathtub cleaner) applied with a damp cloth on a small section at a time. Wipe off excess with damp cloth then apply leather conditioner. I think you will notice it will be quite a bit softer and cleaner. It won't hurt the stitching as long as you don't soak it to the extreme.

My 1991 LS has some pretty worn seats. The previous owner didn't take care of the leather at all. I had some cheap turtle wax brand leather cleaner/conditioner I used. The seats look better, but nothing amazing. What do you guys use to keep your seats at their peak? Is there a certain product or any special tricks to try?

got any pics of what they look like? I also recommend using Lexol, and SoftScrub to remove the brown.

If your seats are damaged, you could replace them with Katzkin leatherite. They look good, and not very expensive.

Hello All -

I *just got* my 1st Lexus - 1994 LS400 - Dark Grey w/ Black Leather, 98K miles. Hope to take it to 200K.

The leather in the back especially near the top of the seat is h a r d.

I have heard of baseball players using shaving cream to soften new gloves, but I don't want to use anything that might damage the stitching.

Any and all comments / suggestions to this very newbie would be appreciated.

Howard

LS400 as above

1998 Carrera 2 Cabriolet Tipronic

2001 Civic EX

• 2 weeks later...

To update- it was warmer today, so I put the "Lexol" leather care on my leather seats. The smell is not too great, but it seems to work well. Too late to ask, but is it OK to put this on the vinyl parts of the interior? I hope so, as I put in on the vinyl areas on my door panels. Seemed to be OK and it shined them good. I also put it on the steering wheel. It was either removing dirt build-up from the steering wheel, or some color from the wheel, as it was bringing off a dark color. It was a 1-owner car and they have taken good care of it and the inside was very clean when I bought it. Perhaps they never cleaned the steering wheel? Nothing came off of the seats.