1992 Lexus Sc400 Starts/won't Start...what's The Issue?

sonnyg22

Hi, I own a 1992 SC400. The car has been a great car for the past 4 years I've owned it. The only major work I've had to have done is timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioners and everything else associated with replacing a timing belt/water pump.

The issue I'm having currently with the car is a starting issue. The car will start perfectly at times..especially when the car is cold...I've noticed. Other times the car will not start..but it will turn over like it wants to start...and yet a second later it will turn over for a couple seconds only to die out! Then the car will start up and idle great. All of this occuring within 10 attempted starts...sometimes it starts..sometimes it doesn't..and sometimes it starts and dies out!

I'm not mechanically inclined by no means, but issues I've thought it could be are as follows: 1)fly wheel,2)starter,3)vacuum leak,4)fuel filter,5)spark plugs????

My other problem is my A/C system. It works great..blows cold air...but the fuse gets blown for some reason after replacing it with a new one and then of course it doesn't work. Any ideas????

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sonny

Hi, I own a 1992 SC400. The car has been a great car for the past 4 years I've owned it. The only major work I've had to have done is timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioners and everything else associated with replacing a timing belt/water pump.

The issue I'm having currently with the car is a starting issue. The car will start perfectly at times..especially when the car is cold...I've noticed. Other times the car will not start..but it will turn over like it wants to start...and yet a second later it will turn over for a couple seconds only to die out! Then the car will start up and idle great. All of this occuring within 10 attempted starts...sometimes it starts..sometimes it doesn't..and sometimes it starts and dies out!

I'm not mechanically inclined by no means, but issues I've thought it could be are as follows: 1)fly wheel,2)starter,3)vacuum leak,4)fuel filter,5)spark plugs????

My other problem is my A/C system. It works great..blows cold air...but the fuse gets blown for some reason after replacing it with a new one and then of course it doesn't work. Any ideas????

Thanks,

Sonny

Not sure how you developed the list of possibilities you're working with, but of the things mentioned only fuel filter seems a possibility. Based on what you've said, forget starter and flywheel - they'd have nothing to do with the engine not starting, except when the engine won't even turn over when you turn the key. Vacuum leak and spark plugs aren't likely to cause the symptom you describe, but if the fuel filter is very dirty, that is a possibility. In general, fuel delivery issues behave similar to your problem - check fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel line first. Fuel itself may be contaminated with water, etc, as well, so a drastic measure may eventually be to drain the tank. On the AC fuse, are you certain you're replacing it with the right size fuse? If so, is it possible the system may have been overcharged with freon so that the compressor is lugging under the resulting high pressure?

Thanks,

Sonny

Not sure how you developed the list of possibilities you're working with, but of the things mentioned only fuel filter seems a possibility. Based on what you've said, forget starter and flywheel - they'd have nothing to do with the engine not starting, except when the engine won't even turn over when you turn the key. Vacuum leak and spark plugs aren't likely to cause the symptom you describe, but if the fuel filter is very dirty, that is a possibility. In general, fuel delivery issues behave similar to your problem - check fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel line first. Fuel itself may be contaminated with water, etc, as well, so a drastic measure may eventually be to drain the tank. On the AC fuse, are you certain you're replacing it with the right size fuse? If so, is it possible the system may have been overcharged with freon so that the compressor is lugging under the resulting high pressure?

Thanks for the info! It is much apprciated! Is the fuel filter, fuel pump easy to see/work on? Also the engine always turns over like it wants to start..it just doesn't catch/start every other time.

Regarding the A/C system...yes it's possible that I'm using the wrong fuse, but I do think that I used the same number fuse that was in it prior....but I will double check. As for the systme being overcharged with freon...the system hasn't been charged in 3 years.

Any further info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Yeah if your going to replace/look at the fuel pump the car will need to be lifted. Just a FYI if you do change the fuel pump out *REMEMBER TO DRAIN* the gas tank first.

well actually you wont need to lift the car you just need to take the back seat out of the car and it the fuel pump will be located at the top center where the back seat use to be. There is a wire and about 10 screws that hold the fuel pump in place. But yeah you will have to drain the tank first to take out the fuel pump

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello sonnyg, my name is Anthony and i'm having the same problem. did you get the problem resolved, and if so, would you please tell me just what the problem was. i could really use some help with this issue. thank you very much, any and all help and input will be appreciated.

Anthony

• 1 month later...

I think the problem is not in the fuel pump, but the fuel pump ecu itself. This is in the driver side rear compartment. Both seat portions need to come out to gain access. Try the fuel ECU mod provided here and report back if fixed the problem. If indeed it doesnt, then try to see what the fuel pump is doing on the first initial turn of the key. The fuel filter on the pump might be clogged or the inline filter might be going bad. Also located on the driver side under the car. Get ready gas to come out on you, so wear eye protection and keep your mouth shut.

http://www.clublexus...ctures-faq.html

as far as the AC problem, make sure you havent got anything in the cig. lighter port like a dime or nickel. This will cause the fuse to blow and not allow the climate and the AC to work.. up by the shifter.. :-)

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem I have been chasing. My car starts fine when the engine is cold. It runs great and idles fine. However once it's up to running temp if i turn it off and the try to crank it it turns over revs once then dies. Onceit has cooled down it cranks right up.It is not throwing any codes. Ihave cleaned the IAC valve, replaced the main relay but no change. I have read to check fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel ECU but if my car is running good when it does crank it seems those items would be OK. Any comments or suggestions?

FYI. 93 SC 400

! st post hope it ok. I have same issue and I know if I remove the feul cap it blows out alot of pressure. If I were to guess I would say it has 30 p.s.i or more build up. If I leave cap off and Tart it fires right upreinstall cap and runs great. I'm thinking maybe a check valve or somthing in the venting sytem anyone have any ideas. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Was Sonny's problem ever solved, as I have the same issue? Also, where can you get a Heater Core (new,re-built, or after market) for a 1992 SC 400?