What If Anything Am I Doing Wrong With My 2008 Gs450h To Make The Batt

Hey Silver, or should I say Hi Ho Silver, Good luck on your trip and it sounds like you're taking good precautionary measures. :cheers: I would check the voltage on the battery regularly for a while to make sure it's getting charged properly. If you see it starting to drop again, I would have the whole charging system tested. Your problem is the battery, the charging system, or a drain somewhere in the electical system. These are still early days for the GS Hybrid, so glitches are to be expected.

I am going to keep a close eye on the battery. I am going to LI NY to pick up my mother and bring her to SC for a visit. I'll put on about 1700 miles in less than a week. I don't drive much, I put on less than 600 miles since I got the car on 6/21/08 but when I do drive I put on a lot of long distance miles. I am going to repeat the whole thing in late Sept when I bring her back. I am only going to be in NY for a day or two so I won't have the time to bring it to the NY dealer where I bought it.

If there is a problem with the car that is causing the battery to fail it should show up before next next trip on Sept 23 or 24.

PS I am a little ticked off about the way they handled it, But I am glad the just took my word that the battery was bad and replaced it without spending time with them trying to put a charger on it to verify it wouldn't take a charge. I have a few last minute things to do before the drive and I wasted Monday in bed because I wasn't feeling good so in a way i was happy to get in and out fast.

Btw, I've posted a HTD on the General Discussions forum, for posting images and dealing with the "img" issues you were having.

Thank you.

I should be on my way to NY in less than 24 hours. My little puppy has been taken in the car with me every where I go on short trips to get him ready for this. I am pretty sure he will be fine on the long drive.

You mentioning your puppy reminds me of my pooch Riley when I was

taking him in for his last set of shots at around 16 weeks or so. I was

in the middle of rush hour in Toronto, driving up a main street in very

slow traffic when I noticed a funny smell coming from the back seat. I

look back there and noticed Riley had hurled all over my nice leather

and was sitting there grinning at me.

I couldn't stop because I was in a no stopping zone. So after about

five minutes of crawling up the street, I finally turned off onto a

side road, pulled over and looked back there to get a better idea of

what I was going to do about this. What did I see? NOTHING? I checked

out the leather. It was perfectly clean like nothing had happened, not

a trace anywhere! What happened? Did I imagine the whole thing?

When I saw Riley licking a part of the seat, I realized he had cleaned it all

up by himself! He ate his own vomit!! What a dog!

Have a good trip.

I got back home about 2:30 PM Monday. The range and mileage is amazing. I was averaging 60 MPH or better. In order to do it I was keeping it between 70 and 73. I got a high of 30 MPG and a low of 28 MPG computer read out ( didn't do a paper and pencil for an actual reading yet but I will) I left late Fri morning, got to NY Sat early afternoon, Left NY 8:30 AM Sun. With only two gas stops going north and 3 gas stops south with 160 miles range left in the tank. I have made this trip about a dozen times with the RX and never got all the bars green, but with the GS I got them all lit a few times on long down hill runs both north and southbound. I never activated the XM radio for the free trial till last Monday because I didn't think it was worth the money. But my mother is a but Mets fan and it was great for her to be able to hear the game (the reason for the trip was to bring her down for a visit) I may wind up keeping XM after the free trial.

The puppy is only a little over 3 months old but was well behaved on the trip. He stayed in the crate on the way up and sat on my mothers lap on the way back. The day I got the GS I had already planned on dumping the GS when the lease ended, but I love this car so much I may wind up keeping it. I am not knocking the RX in any way, it was a great car and if I still needed an SUV with 4 wheel drive I would still have it,, but the GS is a lot more comfortable and quite. The cooled seats are great but I noticed they weren’t working very well on the way back. Till I noticed the dogs paw had moved the control to the heat position. I still hate the Lexus GPS with a passion. It annoys me that I have a NAV unit in my car and I have to stick a Garmin on my dashboard, and to top it off the darn Garmin kept falling off because of lack of room due to the angle of the windshield. The Garmin allowed me to find motels ahead and call them with my cell phone to find out if they allowed dogs. That ability to use the GSP while moving was a big time saver and made finding a place to stay a lot easier.

There were no problems with the car, battery related or otherwise

• 8 years later...

Although an old post it should be pointed out that the GS450H does not have an alternator. The car does not need to be driven to charge the battery. Just leaving it in ready mode, and park will charge it.

The 12 volt battery is an AGM battery and are notorious for not recovering well from a complete discharge.

John