Vsc, Trac, And Check Engine Light On

ma4220

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300 and the VSC, Traction control, and check engine light have come on. It has been on for about 2 months. I tried putting a new gas cap on but the lights haven't gone off yet. Can someone help me out on this?

Welcome to the VSC/Trac/CEL club. Same thing happened to me...and to many others. One quick question before you go to the threads that I listed below.

Did you just have your oil changed? A very common problem for these symptoms is when a technician checks your air filter and opens up the top of the air filter canister it will pull the small vacuum tube off of the right hand, bottom side and this will cause these readings. This was what happened to my 2002 RX 300. I also had a bad gas cap and replaced it for $7 and the check engine light went out. Once the tube was reconnected and the new gas cap then the next problem was clearing the codes.

Anyway...Read these two threads that I posted and see what I went through and how I corrected it.

Read this one first: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=VSC/Trac/CEL

Then this one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=VSC/Trac/CEL

Good luck and email me if you have any questions.

Hal/Tennessee

My VSC & CHECK ENGINE lights came on after topping off the gas last month. I took off the battery cable and turned on lights, two minutes later I put the cable back on and it fixed it. A lot of people replaced the oxygen sensor. Some on Avalons had to replace all 3 before they went off. PepBoys or AutoZone will put it on the computer for free. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Same thing just happened to me. I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Sucks I know but I understand that is common on the RX too. Anyway, the hose was indeed disconnected. I reconnected it, reset the battery - no lights. So we'll see if a few days if they come back on. I thought I'd post a few pics as this seems to be a common problem:

rx_hose1.jpg

rx_hose2.jpg

rx_hose3.jpg

Brian

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I have a 2003 Lexus RX300 and the VSC, Traction control, and check engine light have come on. It has been on for about 2 months. I tried putting a new gas cap on but the lights haven't gone off yet. Can someone help me out on this?

I have been having the same problem. Along with this, it feels like the ABS brakes are activating when I begin to move from a stop. Did you expereince this? I see your post was from a year ago, so wondering if you did find a solution that you can share.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine ended up being the rear O2 sensor. I replaced that and that took off the check engine light but the vsc and trac control light came back on. I have heard you have to go into the computer and reset them. Haven't had time to do it yet though.

• 1 year later...

I have been having the same problem. Along with this, it feels like the ABS brakes are activating when I begin to move from a stop. Did you expereince this? I see your post was from a year ago, so wondering if you did find a solution that you can share.

Thanks!

Hi. I'm curious to see if you ever found out the problem or solution to your ABS activating when accelerating from a stop? I've been having a similar problem for quite a while now with my 2001 Lexus RX300, and no shop, including the dealership, has been able to figure it out. From a stop, I get an intermittent shudder before the gas engages, and the traction control light comes on for a moment. No other lights, etc... Thanks for your time!

Sarah

• 4 years later...

Brian posted the following above which the system did not allow me to quote: Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Same thing just happened to me. I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Sucks I know but I understand that is common on the RX too. Anyway, the hose was indeed disconnected. I reconnected it, reset the battery - no lights. So we'll see if a few days if they come back on. I thought I'd post a few pics as this seems to be a common problem:
SOLUTION: This was the EXACT issue for me, and if you did NOT post the pictures, I would have NEVER figured it out. Instead of having the console light up like a Christmas Tree, and confusing the mechanics, how you solved it is HOW I SOLVED IT. SIMPLE. 10 MINUTE JOB.
Thank you so much to THIS FORUM and to Brian Monnone......Finally the quote showed up below, and I think it took time to show up as I am posting since it had pictures in it. The KEY is the pictures.

rx_hose1.jpg

rx_hose2.jpg

rx_hose3.jpg

Brian