Brake Noise

HELLO GUYS,

I HAVE A 1998 LEXUS GS300 WITH 124,000 MILES ON IT. I AM HAVING A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING, GRINDING, SCRAPING AND SOMTIMES KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BRAKE. GETS LOUD, EMBARASSING AND SCARY. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PADS OR CALIPERS ARE TOUCHING THE ROTORS (FROZEN UP/LOCKED UP), I JACKED UP THE FRONT AND MANUALLY TURNED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL AND HEARD IT, THE LEFT SIDE DID NOT TURN AS EASILY AS THE RIGHT SIDE. I TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP, THEY TOLD ME THE PADS WERE WORN DOWN AND THE ROTORS NEEDED REPLACING, SPENT $241 ON NEW PADS AND ROTORS. NEXT DAY SAME PROBLEM. TOOK IT BACK TO SHOP, THEY SAID MAYBE CALIPER LOCKING UP, MAY NEED NEW CALIPERS $481.

- BEFORE I GO SPENDING MORE MONEY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE????

- OR DID ANYONE EVER HAVE THE PROBLEM????

HELLO GUYS,

I HAVE A 1998 LEXUS GS300 WITH 124,000 MILES ON IT. I AM HAVING A GRINDING, SCRAPING AND SOMTIMES KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BRAKE. GETS LOUD, EMBARASSING AND SCARY. SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS ON COLD START OR SOMETIMES IT STARTS AFTER I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR ABOUT 1/2 HOUR.

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PADS OR CALIPERS ARE TOUCHING THE ROTORS (FROZEN UP/LOCKED UP), I JACKED UP THE FRONT AND MANUALLY TURNED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL AND HEARD IT, THE LEFT SIDE DID NOT TURN AS EASILY AS THE RIGHT SIDE. I TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP, THEY TOLD ME THE PADS WERE WORN DOWN AND THE ROTORS NEEDED REPLACING, SPENT $241 ON NEW PADS AND ROTORS. NEXT DAY SAME PROBLEM. TOOK IT BACK TO SHOP, THEY SAID MAYBE CALIPER LOCKING UP, MAY NEED NEW CALIPERS $481.

- BEFORE I GO SPENDING MORE MONEY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE????

- OR DID ANYONE EVER HAVE THE PROBLEM????

I wish i could help...My advice would be to get a second opinion from another shop before shelling out your $$$...Most shops will perform a brake inspection for free.

Good luck Shawn

I read about this the other day. Its a simple fix actually. Go to autoparts and buy anti brake squeeling liquid... they come in little packs and are like 80cents each. Put it in between calipers and such and it should fix that noise.

HELLO GUYS,

I HAVE A 1998 LEXUS GS300 WITH 124,000 MILES ON IT. I AM HAVING A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING, GRINDING, SCRAPING AND SOMTIMES KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BRAKE. GETS LOUD, EMBARASSING AND SCARY. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

you said it happens all the time??? even when the brakes are not applied? If the calipers were seized they should've noticed when they changed the pads... It could be wheel bearings.. does the noise change with speed? turning?

I read about this the other day. Its a simple fix actually. Go to autoparts and buy anti brake squeeling liquid... they come in little packs and are like 80cents each. Put it in between calipers and such and it should fix that noise.

thats not gonna work in this case.......sounds like a stuck or frozen caliper or a bad wheel bearing but more like a frozen caliper! sounds like a bbk coming lol

brian

thats not gonna work in this case.......sounds like a stuck or frozen caliper or a bad wheel bearing but more like a frozen caliper! sounds like a bbk coming lol

brian

RIGHT NOW IT'S NOT EVEN MAKING THE NOISE, I GUESS I AM GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE CAR ON A LONG TRIP TO DUPLICATE YHE NOISE BEFORE TAKING TO THE SHOP...

• 2 weeks later...

brian

RIGHT NOW IT'S NOT EVEN MAKING THE NOISE, I GUESS I AM GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE CAR ON A LONG TRIP TO DUPLICATE YHE NOISE BEFORE TAKING TO THE SHOP...

TURNED OUT TO BE THE CALIPERS REPLACED THEM BOTH FRONT, NO MORE NOISE, KNOCK ON WOOD...PISTONS WERE BAD.

• 1 year later...

Hello Shawn, I know that this is an old topic But Im a new member and I have a 98 GS300 and I was doing a google seach under lexus gs front end niose and came across this link to this fourm, I think my car has the same problem as yours.

I would like to know if you came up with a conclusion? I also think what could of cause the problem is that we both have custom wheels yours being 19s and mines are 20s that could of played a role in shorting the front end life span of the suspension.

My drivers side front wheel is where the niose is coming from, like a grinding metal bending ratteling and creaking noise, it happens while driving the car for at least a mile or longer, when I turn the steering wheel it just scares the crap out of me!, makes you think the wheel is going to fall off, I did discover that I have bad shocks for starters, I know it's not the brake calipers, pads nor the rotors and not the wheel bearing either and not the rack and pinion I have ruled all that out and made sure of that!, hoping you or someone can help, Thanks!!

Hello Shawn, I know that this is an old topic But Im a new member and I have a 98 GS300 and I was doing a google seach under lexus gs front end niose and came across this link to this fourm, I think my car has the same problem as yours.

I would like to know if you came up with a conclusion? I also think what could of cause the problem is that we both have custom wheels yours being 19s and mines are 20s that could of played a role in shorting the front end life span of the suspension.

My drivers side front wheel is where the niose is coming from, like a grinding metal bending ratteling and creaking noise, it happens while driving the car for at least a mile or longer, when I turn the steering wheel it just scares the crap out of me!, makes you think the wheel is going to fall off, I did discover that I have bad shocks for starters, I know it's not the brake calipers, pads nor the rotors and not the wheel bearing either and not the rack and pinion I have ruled all that out and made sure of that!, hoping you or someone can help, Thanks!!

Well All, I found out what the problem was the HARD way! I was drivng on the freeway and just as I got off the fwy to take surface streets and drove just a short distance on the streets not really going too fast maybe accellarating to about 40mph I had thought I hit a pot hole, and the car swerved a lil and I mamage to pull over to the curb quickly and I got out the car and the WHOLE FRONT WHEEL was torn off the car with the hub in tact and a mildly damage fender, Turns out it was the lower Ball Joint that was bad, it had no lubracant wich made all the rubbubing and grinding noise and just wore out and snaped right off, Thank God I had tripple A and was less than 7 miles from home, Good luck Guys!