2008 Es350 Oil Change

KBRX330

Just did the 1000 mile break-in oil change on my ES350. Very easy for the DIY'er

Parts: Toyota 04152-YZZA1 Filter kit

Toyota 90430-12031 drain bolt gasket

7 quarts 5w30 SL/SM oil ( takes 6.4 qts with filter change)

Tools: 14MM box end wrench

3/8 ratchet with 4" extension

65-67MM oil filter wrench

1-wooden toothpick (to remove o-rings DO NOT use a metal tool)

Floor Jack

Oil catch pan

6" piece of old 1/2" garden hose

1. Raise car about 5-6 inches find oil drain plug on oil pan and remove w/14MM wrench draining oil into catch pan.

2. Reinstall oil drain plug with new gasket (be sure to remove old gasket as it will stick to the pan drain hole, tighten plug.

3. At front RH of car underneath you will see a round aluminum oil filter housing. It is gray and has an indent for the 3/8 drive extension. Insert extension into housing and remove oil housing cap. (a small amount of oil will come out).

4. If the small black o-ring comes off with the cap put it back on as it will seal the draiining of the filter

5. Take small plastic drain insert from filter kit and insert the long end into the piece of garden hose.

6. Insert the pronged end of the plastic drain insert into the filter housing making sure to direct the hose into catch pan. The oil filter will now drain.

7. Remove plastic drian insert when filter is drained. (twist and pull out)

8. Using 65MM oil filter wrench unscrew filter housing and remove. Remove used filter element.

9. Wipe clean and replace small o-ring with new small o-ring and reinstall cap on housing (be sure to oil new o-ring so it seals correctly). Tighten cap with 3/8 ratchet extension.

10. Remove large o-ring from filter housing and re-install new large o-ring from filter kit ( be sure to oil new o-ring). NOTE: use the wood toothpick to remove the o-rings because if you scratch the aluminum housing it will leak.

11. Place new filter element in housing and push all the way in.

12. Wipe housing cavity (on the engine) clean and re-install filter housing by hand. Be sure not to dislodge o-ring. Turn in tight all the way by hand and apply light force with filter wrench (remember you are not tightening another 1/4 turn like a conventional filter) Be careful not to cross thread housing into cavity.

13. Add 6.4 quarts of 5w30 oil

14. Wipe everything clean

15. Start car and allow to run for 5 minutes. Check drain bolt & filter housing for leaks.

16. Re-set maintenance reminder.

17. Shut car off, wait a few minutes and check oil level.

Note: If you rotate your tires every 5000 miles like I do the torque spec for the lug nuts is 76ft lbs.

Thanks RBRX.....

This is my project for this weekend. I started last weekend but did not have the correct tool to pull the flter housing. I had the steps but your post reinforced the instructions I have.

For me the procedure is:

1. Drive to Lexus dealer

2. Drive off in loaner

3. Drive back at my convinience with my bag of money to pay them with

4. Drive off

;)

For me the procedure is:

3. Drive back at my convinience with my bag of money to pay them with

It should have read: Drive back at my convenience with my BIG bag of money to pay them with

ROFLMAO...... that is me... up until this weekend. I drive 5,000 miles in about 2 months. My car is less than 2 years old and reads 47K on the odo. My BIG bag of money is gone. Not to mention tires and regular maintenance. I am going to put in synthetic in so that I can last a bit longer between changes.

ROFLMAO...... that is me... up until this weekend. I drive 5,000 miles in about 2 months. My car is less than 2 years old and reads 47K on the odo. My BIG bag of money is gone. Not to mention tires and regular maintenance. I am going to put in synthetic in so that I can last a bit longer between changes.

Toyota changed the oil changed intervial a few years back from 7.5k to 5k because of some of their

engines were failing due to oil gel otherwise known as sludge build up. But their are many cars on

the road that go 7.5k to 10k on a regular basis with no problems on regular oil.

I think Toyota needs to find the source of the oil gel problem and fix it and return the intervial to

at least 7.5k so they will be on par most other modern autos , also I think the oil gel problem

was on a small number of cars and had something to do with operating conditions and less to do

with oil change intervials but still I think there is something Toyota need to do also.

I will switch this ES to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic at 10,000 miles after I get my dealer "freebie" 5k service. But I will stick with a 5000 interval. I buy syn oils in big quantities when Advance Auto has the BOGO sales here so a synthetic oil change costs me about $22. So at 47,000 miles my cost for 9 oil changes will be $198. If I went to my dealer my cost would be $1,233.00. for conventional "Lexus" oil which is Mobilclean 5000 that you can buy at Walmart for 8.97/4qt jug. So in the 150k life of this vehicle I will save myself about $3,000.00 on oil service. Which is enough to replace the tires 3 times and service the transmission and cooling system and replace the brakes twice for the 150,000 miles.

Doing your own service is not for everyone. I just happen to have all the tools as one of my hobbies is working on my Harley Davidson. Plus I had a real bad experience with one of my trucks having some idiot change my oil and strip the oil pan bolt and nearly lost the engine. Since I have 2 Lexus cars & a GMC Denali, SeaRay twin engine & Harley in my fleet one fleet oil change takes 39 quarts of oil and 6 oil filters. If I had respective dealers do all of them one oil service would cost me about $610.00. Add in all the time running back & forth to the dealer and it becomes a part time job.

Toyota changed the oil changed intervial a few years back from 7.5k to 5k because of some of their

engines were failing due to oil gel otherwise known as sludge build up. But their are many cars on

the road that go 7.5k to 10k on a regular basis with no problems on regular oil.

I think Toyota needs to find the source of the oil gel problem and fix it and return the intervial to

at least 7.5k so they will be on par most other modern autos , also I think the oil gel problem

was on a small number of cars and had something to do with operating conditions and less to do

with oil change intervials but still I think there is something Toyota need to do also.

Lexus intervals have been 7500 normal, 5000 severe since at least 1998, on all models.

Lexus intervals have been 7500 normal, 5000 severe since at least 1998, on all models.

the current Toyota oil change intervial is 5k for normal driving and that also includes Lexus it

was changed sometime between 2001 and 2006 for the reasons I stated previously.

Really? Thats news to me. I've always used the 5k interval since its easier to calculate, and thats what the dealers go by (for obvious reasons). My 2003 has an option of 5000-7500, as does my dad's 04 LS430.

Really? Thats news to me. I've always used the 5k interval since its easier to calculate, and thats what the dealers go by (for obvious reasons). My 2003 has an option of 5000-7500, as does my dad's 04 LS430.

My 2001 camry was 7.5k which is what I used it may have had the option for 5k I dont recall but

the interval indacator was factory set at 7.5k, Now they are all set to 5k check it out next time

you are at the dealer.

My 2001 camry was 7.5k which is what I used it may have had the option for 5k I dont recall but

the interval indacator was factory set at 7.5k, Now they are all set to 5k check it out next time

you are at the dealer.

Same thing(5K), for the '07-'08 ES350's

I do the 5000 because this is my wifes car and gets lots of stop and go driving, idling etc. If you are a freeway driver then 7500 is probably ok but my schedule is severe service.

• 1 year later...

Could someone confirm that the oil drain bolt(14mm) is located very close to the oil filter housing on a black pan. It looks like the only reasonable location. However, there is a plastic cover for the underside in the front that I dont want to take off to find out if there might be another candidate lurking there.

I have a rough photo of what I think it is but am unable to attach it here.

I would like to get this done this weekend, but obviously don't want to unplug the wrong bolt if I can help it;-)

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who do your own oil change, I recommend getting one of the quick change valves. I have one on each of my cars and they work very well. I have ones from http://www.fumotousa.com. Never have to fumble with getting the drain plug out again.

I've been debating on getting those Fumoto Valves for my cars for a while now. How many of us here have or are using them & how much are they? :unsure:

:cheers:

I have them on both cars. I ordered them from http://www.qwikvalve.com. They were ~$22 a piece. The only drawback is that it does take a bit longer for the oil to drain since the opening is smaller. But open it first and work other minor maintenance items while its draining. I love it.

I usually let my oil drain half of the afternoon anyways lol.....so that will work just fine. Thanks.

Guys,

Can anyone tell me alternative to dealship for oil change? or its going to cost the same even if i take it to walmart? i ams cheduling for my 10K and dang $165 is ahuge amount for oil change, no alternatives?

Try a Toyota dealer. They are always cheaper. Check their website for oil change coupons as well.

Guys,

Can anyone tell me alternative to dealship for oil change? or its going to cost the same even if i take it to walmart? i ams cheduling for my 10K and dang $165 is ahuge amount for oil change, no alternatives?

For now (because my 05 ES is still under powertrain warranty) I take it to the dealer.....I bring them the oil (Amsoil 0W 30), filter (Amsoil EAO) & drain plug gasket (OE).....they charge me $29.

As soon as the warranty expires I will be doing my own & using my new Fumoto valve.

• 4 months later...
Guys,

For now (because my 05 ES is still under powertrain warranty) I take it to the dealer.....I bring them the oil (Amsoil 0W 30), filter (Amsoil EAO) & drain plug gasket (OE).....they charge me $29.

As soon as the warranty expires I will be doing my own & using my new Fumoto valve.

I was considering a fumoto valve on the ES350 but it is tool low to the ground for comfort. I am afraid the wife will hit it on some road debris, knock it off and loose all the oil and seize the engine.