A/c Problem

I typically don't drive my wife's car ('02 es 300), but have been this week as she's been traveling out of town with my daily driver.

I noticed (since it's getting warmer outisde) that when I try to use the A/C, the green light starts blinking after a few seconds and the cold air ceases to blow. I hear the compressor kick on and off, which leads me to believe that maybe there's slack in the belt or possibly a bad relay? Let me know what your thoughts are...

Unfortunately the dealership here has a terrible reputation and won't look for the problem, assume the worse, and go ahead and try to charge me for a $2,400 replacement A/C system - which is seems somewhat offensive and probably unecesary, seeing as the car doesn't even have 80k miles on it yet.

Thanks!

Yeah, it sounds like you are probably low on refrigerant. It sounds like there is a sensor in there that is saying something in the system isn't right, so it turns it off... low refrigerant is probably the most likely culprit.

Double check with your dealer, on that year I think there is a TSB for a new magnetic clutch relay. I can check for sure Monday when I get back to work.

Let us know how it works out, I have an O3' doing the same thing. I've had the freon serviced with no luck. The wife is getting HOT. not good for me :wacko:

So we dumped in two new cans of 134a tonight - going to monitor the cool air output over the week... My mechanic seems to think that there may be a small leak somewhere, but has the "sniffer" to look for it if I'm still losing cold air. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks again for the input!

Sounds like you may have this fixed but there is a TSB EL009-05

"AC light flashing- magnetic clutch relay"

02-04 ES300/ES330

locate the magnetic clutch relay

verify part number printed on the side

if part number is 90987-02022, please replace relay with countermeasure relay 90987-02028

if part number does not match 90987-02022, then diagnose problems per repair manual.

The new relay is $65.60, most dealers should stock it.

I was going to send in the exact same problem with the AC on our 2002 ES 300. I really appreciate this group and the help I have gotten on this issue and others. I wish I had something to bring to the table to help others!

• 3 weeks later...
my problem was the clutch relay. the new one is ordered and should be here tomorrow. thanks again!

How much was this fix? My AC started doing the same thing today. Works for about 1 minute when I turn it on, then the light starts blinking and no more cold air. Happens both at idle and highway speeds.