How Do You Replace A Rear Brake Light?

If you're referring to the highmounted 3rd brake light just push it towards the rear glass and wiggle it out... nothing much to it. As far as the other brake lights just look at the trunk lid carpeting as access panels are present.

also can slide a flat head under it and pop it up as it has tabs holding it in and then pull it towards you....make sure u disconnect the wires after sliding it out some!

brian

• 2 weeks later...

Leo,

I have a 2000 GS300, so I assume replacing the brake light must be similar.

Remove the plastic caps in the trunk behind the broken light. You have to use an allen wrench in each hole to release the housing in order to replace the light.

Hope that helps.

Z

welcome to the forum kygs300 but what r u talking about? no u dont! i just replaced BOTH my reverse/brake lights on the car and a few of the high mounted 3rd brake light and i used NOOOOOOOOO allen wrenches! not even somewhere i can think of to use a allen wrench! yopu do need to pull the plastic caps in the trunk though!

brian

welcome to the forum kygs300 but what r u talking about? no u dont! i just replaced BOTH my reverse/brake lights on the car and a few of the high mounted 3rd brake light and i used NOOOOOOOOO allen wrenches! not even somewhere i can think of to use a allen wrench! yopu do need to pull the plastic caps in the trunk though!

brian

You are 100% correct and I feel like an idiot. That was my girlfriend's car. I used a socket wrench on the lexus.

Thanks for the welcome and the correction ;)

im not trying to make u feel like that so dont......honest mistake (i hope) lol! i also used a socket wrench. im not sure this matters though as the original poster hasnt repsonded since he made this post! your welcome!

brian B)

• 10 months later...
If you're referring to the highmounted 3rd brake light just push it towards the rear glass and wiggle it out... nothing much to it. As far as the other brake lights just look at the trunk lid carpeting as access panels are present.

Appreciated your instructions on how to remove it. It looked like such a puzzle to open or remove and your instructions make it such a simple manuever! It was a little more trickier to realize you have to unscrew the bulb counterclockwise. I was able to remove it, run out and buy the bulbs in a local auto supply store and have it all back together in less than an hour! Many thanks!

Appreciated your instructions on how to remove it. It looked like such a puzzle to open or remove and your instructions make it such a simple manuever! It was a little more trickier to realize you have to unscrew the bulb counterclockwise. I was able to remove it, run out and buy the bulbs in a local auto supply store and have it all back together in less than an hour! Many thanks!

good u got this fixed....im fixing to be running LEDS on mine so i gotta remove it again :)

• 4 years later...

2005 Lexus GS 300...The 3rd brake light, upper on package tray, is a 3 step process. 1. Start by sliding the plastic light housing along the fake carpet toward the passenger side. Then lift slightly and the entire bulb/lens unit will lift upwards. 2. The cable is connected thru a plastic, connector, and to disconnect, use your thumb to push up on the plastic tab on the center of the connector and pull the connector apart. Then lift the entire bulb/lens unit out to an easy to get to place. 3. There are two tabs on the white bulb holder part. Push in gently on the white tabs on it will "rock" out, same for other side. You will be holding a white plastic holder showing 5 bulbs in the holder about 1 " apart. The bulb is the same type used in 12v outdoor lighting, (clear lens, two loop wire bent toward glass) and can be purchased at home depot and the like or an autoparts, or the Lexus dealer charges about $2 ea for the bulbs. If only one bulb is out, I would guess you will need to replace more than one, so get several, (I would say 3 or 4), I used 4.. Center one was out, replaced,, and then next two on each side went out, and replaced, and then one on end went out.. They are all the same age, voltage, current etc., so usually more than one will have a weaker filament.

Reinstalling, push bulb holder into its holder )red lens section , with connector side toward white plastic wire holder. place on package shelf first before connecting, then plug in the mating cable from the trunk area into the connector. place the entire unit near the "marks in carpet left by lens holder". just about 2 inches to left, then drop it into hole left, and the lens unit will be approx 1" from "carpet marks", push the entire unit to the right that will "lock" it into place over the old "carpet marks". Hope this helps.. and yes if it is trunk brake lights refer to above.