Effect Of 17inch Wheels On Sc300?

addb

The handling is much better. The ride is harder. Probably depends on tire brand.Try to use the brand the factory uses (Bridgestone Potenza or Michlen Pilot), they cost more but will ride the softest. I think I gave up 10/12% of ride softness going 16" to 17", you may give up a little more going 15" to 17". It's really a cheap upgrade when you consider how much better your car looks,(if you use a genuine Lexus wheel.)

What are the genuine Lexus wheels that would work on the car? Are the ones shown on AWJ's car 17's or 16's? I like the multispoke SC400 wheels but they're only in 16 inch correct? I really don't know all the OEM options available.

Genuine wheels are made by Toyota. About all the Lexus wheels will fit, they are 5 hole on 4 1/2 bolt circle, about 50 mm offset. I'm probably going to sell mine (96 SC-300 with Gold center cap emblem, tires & all), I put on the 17" IS-300 wheels. If interested e-mail me johnny@rectec.net

The wheels in that picture are 17" Supra TT OEM wheels. They clear the supra tt front brakes I have on the car and are a staggered set-up. Meaning they are 8.5" wide up front and 9" wide in back. There is no rotating those wheels. But the ride is great and handling is good too.

My first upgrade on my '93 SC300 was 17's in place of the 15's. The car just didn't have the look

when I bought it so three days later I went to a wheel shop and we tried about five different wheels before I bought the ones that set my car apart. Well worth the cost.

Wick

Be aware of the additional rotating weight you add to the SC3. Bigger wheels and tires add weight. I put OEM 10 spokes on my SC3, picked up close to five pounds per wheel/tire combo (~38 lbs to 43lbs). Kind of anti-performance, but I really like those particular OEM's. The handling improved, but I went from H to Z rated tires.

If you do this aftermarket, ask for rim weight, you may be surprised. Stock SC3's don't have a lot of extra hp to give away.

I haven't weighed my rims but I'm pretty sure 18" chromes are heavy as hell.

I'd have to disagree with you on the comment about SCs not having much power.

Even with the 18"s I have no trouble spinning 'em and the car gets up to speed quick.

I had the stock 16" for a while and then I went to 18"s, putting about 60 pounds of stereo in the trunk at the same time.

I did not notice any change in the acceleration of the car.

Mine is a 5spd though....maybe you're talking about automatic.

I'm trying to find the SC400 style 10 spoke from yesteryear. I like those 16 inch wheels better than the 15's on the car now. And they should be cheap since they're old and no one seems to even consider 16 inches anymore.

Re. power: I'm very impressed with this engine. It's a more than decade-old design and makes as much power as the new IS300 motor, Audi 3 liter, etc. It's amazingly linear in its torque characteristics (it seems). I've had this car a week and I'm getting happier and happier with it.

addb