Removing Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

CBLex

Hey guys, new member here so please be patient with me!

Im replacing my timing belt/water pump on my 90 Lexus LS400, im currently stuck where I have to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Any suggestions how this can be done without the crankshaft pulley moving freely?

The tutorial I seen here posted, they listed to wedge a impact wrench to ground and crank the motor, Im looking for an alternative suggestion on how to remove the bolt instead of going this route

Any help is appreciated and Thanks in advance!

I'll be interested in the expert members answers to this question. I was unable to remove it, and had the car towed to an indie 2 years ago. He got it off primarily by applying extreme heat to the bolt with a torch, after trying all his tools, including the impact idea. The removed bolt looked wasted, and of course, he had to order a new bolt (took 2 weeks for some reason). But as he said "I was afraid I might snap off the bolt, and you don't want to snap it off in the pulley." Cost me a bundle, but his work was excellent. Best of luck.

Yes, what do the experts have to say here....is bolt is on with a torque of 181 ft-lbs....

How does the dealer do it ?????

Drill out the center of the firing end of a spark plug and install, swedge, a steel rod long enough to hold the piston at BDC with the modified spark plug installed. A rubber furniture leg cup on the end of the rod will prevent scratching the piston top.

there is a Toyota/Lexus specialty tool available on ebay to remove the bolt. Works like a charm. cost about $70. it works the same way the harmonic balancer does by attaching screws into the pulley yo stop it from moving. It will not damage the pulley or the bolt.

Yes, what do the experts have to say here....is bolt is on with a torque of 181 ft-lbs....

I called a dealer and a tech told me I can stick a screwdriver in the gear of the flywheel and use an impact gun, has anyone tried this before?

there is a Toyota/Lexus specialty tool available on ebay to remove the bolt. Works like a charm. cost about $70. it works the same way the harmonic balancer does by attaching screws into the pulley yo stop it from moving. It will not damage the pulley or the bolt.

Any idea of what the name is to this tool?

We use a crankshaft pulley remover. Really! That's what it's called. I looks just like a steering wheel puller. LOL!!!!

http://fp.bighealey.f9.co.uk/tools/Sealey/...l_Set_13pc.html

the only ones I know of that are a problem are the Mazda, Ford 2.3 liters. They aren't keyed to the crankshaft so when you loosen the bolts it can slide out of position. Makes them the biggest pain in the a$$ I know of. The Lexus should be easy though.

Can everyone just focus on the removal of bolt & not the pulley......somehow everyone gets offtrack & starts talking about the harmonic balancer tool to remove the pulley.....lets focus on the BOLT removal only

First off, you have to prevent the crankshaft from turning. Vise grips, screwdriver, or something to stop the rotation. Then I use a 3/4 drive and a breaker bar for leverage. That's it. If you have a pipe to slide over the drive handle to make it longer so you can get enouph power behind it is usually all it takes. I think a 3 to 4 foot breaker, or extension and the bolt backs out like butter. That's it bro.

I called a dealer and a tech told me I can stick a screwdriver in the gear of the flywheel and use an impact gun, has anyone tried this before?

CB:

Just to be clear, yes, a (large) screwdriver in the flywheel. HOWEVER, there is a hole in the flywheel that lines up with a hole in the bellhousing. I believe the hole in the bellhousing has a rubber cap which needs to be removed so that you can line up the flywheel hole with the bellhousing hole. The easiest way to accomplish that is with two people, one under the vehicle with the screwdriver and the other person manually rotating the crankshaft (bolt) with the correct size socket and breaker bar. Turning the crankshaft by hand is made easier by either removing or just backing off your sparkplugs so that you have no compression. Once the screwdriver is in place and locking the flywheel, brute force on the breaker bar (with pipe extension) makes short work of it.

I didn't have the benefit of a second person and I was impatient so I went the route of putting the socket and breaker bar on the nut and turning over the engine with the starter. Not for the faint of heart and I wouldn't do it that way again. If you decide to do it that way, go to the bathroom first......it's not pretty.

Can everyone just focus on the removal of bolt & not the pulley......somehow everyone gets offtrack & starts talking about the harmonic balancer tool to remove the pulley.....lets focus on the BOLT removal only

I must be confused. I thought the link that I provided specified the tool was for bolt, not pulley removal. "Remove and Install the crank bolt on Lexus/Toyota with ease"

This tool, for bolt removal (I think at least): http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...amp;ProdID=7204

looks quite different than the tool specified in step 18 here: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

for pulley removal.

Is there another tool or bolt I am getting mixed up?

Perhaps this link explains it more clearly: http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_...ley_holder.html

I must be confused. I thought the link that I provided specified the tool was for bolt, not pulley removal. "Remove and Install the crank bolt on Lexus/Toyota with ease"

This tool, for bolt removal (I think at least): http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...amp;ProdID=7204

looks quite different than the tool specified in step 18 here: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

for pulley removal.

Is there another tool or bolt I am getting mixed up?

Perhaps this link explains it more clearly: http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_...ley_holder.html

These two links are for the correct tool. all you need is a breaker bar and a torque wrench. you use the torque wrench on the holder tool to keep it from moving and use the breaker bar with leverage against your car to loosen the bolt. When I loosened the bolt the whole engine rocked with me just to let you know how tight the bolt is. Use plenty of PB Blaster. and don't cuss too much.

here is the ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Lexu...emZ180189527177

if the link don't work go to ebay and search for "ZDmak" store and look under "Toyota Tools"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDGHGY

24" chain wrench. wrap an old belt around the crank pulley, torque the monster chain around it and use a breaker bar with an impact socket on the crank bolt. you have the benefit of two breaker bars worth of leverage, and i don't trust sticking a screwdriver in my flywheel after snapping 3 of them trying to brace them through the holes of the crank pulley. this seems to be the only realistic DIY way of doing it without an impact gun.

the starter 'trick', by the way, broke my 3/8" drive socket (somehow couldn't find an individual 1/2" 22mm, so i broke down and bought an impact socket set to go with the chain wrench, go figure) and toasted my motor mounts. if I had given what I was doing a second thought I wouldn't have tried. do not attempt it.

the best way is actually to stick a screwdriver in the gear.. no need for an impact gun i was actually able to take it off with a huge socket wrench i got from advanced auto.. but im geussing an impact gun would work... i tried to remove the bolt without putting a screwdriver in the gear and honestly i think iv tried it all.. nothing helped till i stopped the gear from moving.. might need two people one person to keep the screwdriver in the gear and one to actually losen the bolt

You boys are so hardcore! Chain wrench? I just did my waterpump and pulley on my 90 this winter and I did a write up on it. Do you guys remember? Just open up the access panel on the bottom of the tranny where it meets the engine and stick a large allen tool in one of the flywheel holes and slowly turn the engine with the crank bolt until the tool wedges against the side of the tranny housing. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Even a girl like me can do it alone. No need for buddies and helpers and vise grips at all!

Let me know if it works! :)

You boys are so hardcore! Chain wrench? I just did my waterpump and pulley on my 90 this winter and I did a write up on it. Do you guys remember? Just open up the access panel on the bottom of the tranny where it meets the engine and stick a large allen tool in one of the flywheel holes and slowly turn the engine with the crank bolt until the tool wedges against the side of the tranny housing. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Even a girl like me can do it alone. No need for buddies and helpers and vise grips at all!

Let me know if it works! :)

It's about time you chimed in. Read that thread. Great writeup. Love the "easy peasy, lemon squeezy". You should add it as your signature. :cheers:

• 5 years later...

Unplug the coil wires from both Distributors! Use a 3/4" Breaker Bar, a 6 point, 22M, Impact wrench socket. Put the socket on the bolt and lay the end of the Breaker Bar against the frame on the left side(Driver side) or on the ground. Make sure no one is standing in front of car looking under hood! Bump the ignition key real quick and let it go! It will break the bolt loose for you. Also, to make it real easy to get the Timing Belt on, remove the 2-12M bolts holding the Timing Belt tensioner on and remove it! Re-install it after you have Timing Belt on. Also, I found an Tutorial at--http://www.lesls/com/timingbeltreplacement//. Don't go jamming anything up into the flywheel. The teeth are metal alloy and you could chip/break a tooth or crack the bell-housing. That bolt is torqued on at about 190 foot pounds!