Trac Warning Light Stays On

mickstix25

I have a 92 ls 400 and the trac warning light used to blink now it just stays on Im sure the blinking was code but didnt know how to read it now it just stays on looking for a few answers please help

Verify your CHECK ENGINE indicator bulb is not burned out, it should light up when the car is started, and is located next to the TRAC light inside the speedometer. I had the same problem and couldnt figure it out, as there seemed to be no codes. But since the CHECK ENGINE indicator was out, I couldnt read the codes! www.lexls.com has a guide on reading the codes from your computer.

Had the same problem with my '92 LS400. Believe it or not, the fix came when I threw new brake pads in all around. The TRAC light shows up when the TRAC system can't build up the required pressure (mechanical or fluid problems I'm guessing?). Check your brake fluid reservour, is it full? Mine was low with old brakes, threw in new brakes, Bang! No more problem!

Also.. does the TRAC light show up AS SOON as you start the car? Or after you press the brake about 6-10 times, that could be another indication. I don't believe mine was ever on from the get go, but came on after driving just a little down the street.

Hope that helps!

I have a 92 ls 400 and the trac warning light used to blink now it just stays on Im sure the blinking was code but didnt know how to read it now it just stays on looking for a few answers please help

The traction control system in the '92 is not only totally USELESS it can easily and quickly get you into a hazardous situation.

I adopted the practice of manually turning it off just as soon as I started the car.

Just ignore the indicator or remove the bulb.

Or if you insist, do a brake fluid flush and that will often solve the problem. But be sure that whoever does the flush is aware of how to flush the TC assembly.

The traction control system in the '92 is not only totally USELESS it can easily and quickly get you into a hazardous situation.

I adopted the practice of manually turning it off just as soon as I started the car.

Just ignore the indicator or remove the bulb.

Or if you insist, do a brake fluid flush and that will often solve the problem. But be sure that whoever does the flush is aware of how to flush the TC assembly.

I can 100% agree. Highway speeds + passing + ice + TRAC = nasty 110km/h 360 degree spin going down the highway. I now manually shut the TRAC off as soon as I hop in my car! (but it was handy for low speed driving..)

:)

The light shows up as soon as I start the engine. I changed the front brakes and rotors but not the back the front was severly worn. So maybe they need to be bled or I need to just change the back. Thanks guys for your suggestions and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

• 4 weeks later...

i also have the traction control light issue. tried all the above. still there. on top of that and im not sure if its related but the Hand Break light comes on and stays on even when not engaged.. sometime it goes of... and other times its always on any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I had trac light coming on intermittently, Lexus Dealer said it was sensor(?). Spent about $400.00 to have it fixed. That was a year ago. It is now doing the same again. I'm going to check the fuse, as recommended in another post, and get new brake pads. Also. turn off the tracking as soon as I get in the car.

• 8 months later...

Same problem with my 1993 LS400 - Trac light stays on. Eventually "check engine light" came on. Took it to my local Lexus dealer. Said I needed new pre-catalytic oxygen sensors, suggested also replacing post-catalytic sensors. I also had a crack in my EGR exhaust pipe. He explained that with bad sensors and bad EGR, the Traction control system will not function properly. I replaced all four sensors and EGR pipe, no problem in two years now. Very hard to replace EGR pipe. Lexus wanted to pull the transmission to replace it but found a mechanic who wedged the transmission out of the way enough to replace the pipe. Dealer said I could drive with both problems just would not get optimal fuel economy. Hope this helps.

Other common problems LS400s have are with time and temperature display "bleaching" out and with speedometer instrument cluster malfunctioning. Had both problems resolved with repair services advertising on Ebay.

• 9 years later...