Lost Ignition Key 91 Ls 400

dkehinde

I lost the only ignition key that i have for my 91 LS 400. The key had been loose for a while from the black top of the key with the Lexus logo. I only had the metal part that i used to start the car, i was going to get a replacement cut but i lost the key. Any ideas on how i can get a replacement without breaking the bank?? :(

I lost the only ignition key that i have for my 91 LS 400. The key had been loose for a while from the black top of the key with the Lexus logo. I only had the metal part that i used to start the car, i was going to get a replacement cut but i lost the key. Any ideas on how i can get a replacement without breaking the bank?? :(

The keys for the 1st-gen LS cars like yours and mine are unique. The remotes built into the keys are paired with a chip plugged into the computer in the trunk. If you need a new key, you have to buy the chip and 2 keys as a package, since they are paired together.

Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) has the kit for around $350. I believe they can cut the keys using your VIN. If that is too much, most Lexus dealers can make a "non-remote" original key for around $50. That would not require the chip in the trunk to be changed, but you would have no remote.

You could always have a local locksmith make a generic key for you, although I don't think it will be much cheaper than the non-remote Lexus key.

Thanks to all the responses. I went to the Lexus dealer with my title and had a non remote key cut for $50; much cheaper that the locksmiths who said they would need to find my code and then take apart my steering column to make an ignition key.

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I have a 1991 Lexus LS400. I have only one key which I used for ignition etc. Couple of day back the when I tried to start the car, the key could not turn. I can open all my doors and trunk with key but can not turn the key in ignition slot.

I went to a Lexus dealer and he cut a key based on the VIN number and then he said that that does not match to my original key. So used my key to cut another key. I tried this new key but it even does not open any of the doors and still not work in ignition. It goes half way in.

My question is that is the with VIN no. and key code, the key will be different than what I have?

How to resolve this issue? The dealer refused to refund the money or give any help.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Your steering wheel might be locked. Try to relieve the pressure on the steering wheel by turning it in one direction or the other while trying to turn the key. I am having a similar issue and I research the forums and came around to that. I am going to try it when I get home myself. Mine problem happened when I locked the steering wheel to remove the instrument cluster to repair my lights and needles. When I put it back in to check out my lit goodness...nothing but a door chime.

Hope this helps.

I got 2 replacement keys from a place in Ohio for $100 bucks. All you needed to do was fax them your title and drivers license. Work great, no remote, but who cares? Google them. or check the post I had 2 years ago here.

Best of luck.

TEXASLEXUS94 U ARE SO RIGHT I LOST MY MASTER KEY IT HAD THA KEYLESS REMOTE ON IT I WAS SCARED I DIDNT NO WHAT 2 DO HOW MUCH IT WAS GOING 2 COST OR NOTHING BUT I WENT 2 A LEXUS DEALER HERE NAMED TOM WILLIAMS LEXUS ALL U HAVE 2 BRING IS THAT TITLE SHOWING OWNER SHIP AND DRIVER LICENSE OR ID THEY CUT THE KEY BY THE VIN NUMBERS SO 2 ALL WHO HAVE A KEY LOSTED IT NO NEED 2 WORRY AS LONG AS U GOT THAT VIN U GOOD THE KEY COST ME $95.00 I GOT ONLY ONE IT THA REGULAR KEY WITH OUT THA KEYLESS REMOTE BUT WHO CARES LIKE TEXAS LEXUS 94 SAID IT WORKS JUS THA SAME IT JUS DONT HAVE THE REMOTE NOW THAT REMOTE BOY U GOT 2 COME WIT THAT KEY IS VERY HIGH AND I LOST MY KEY AT HOME ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND STILL HAVENT FOUND IT I MISS THA REMOTE BUT REALLY THA KEY IS THA SAME!!!

• 7 years later...

The keys for the 1st-gen LS cars like yours and mine are unique. The remotes built into the keys are paired with a chip plugged into the computer in the trunk. If you need a new key, you have to buy the chip and 2 keys as a package, since they are paired together.

Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) has the kit for around $350. I believe they can cut the keys using your VIN. If that is too much, most Lexus dealers can make a "non-remote" original key for around $50. That would not require the chip in the trunk to be changed, but you would have no remote.

You could always have a local locksmith make a generic key for you, although I don't think it will be much cheaper than the non-remote Lexus key.

I'm looking for one too. Where can I buy "the chip and 2 keys as a package"? I didn't find it at Sewell. Thanks, Otavio Ventura (Brazil)

People, people, people, I CANT even imagine some one with ONLY one key to their Lexus, your FIRST purchase SHOULD be to buy a second... (cost is no reason to not have one)... IF you cant afford one dont buy the car.... what ever happens is something YOU have already accepted ..... GO and buy a second one today... 

I hope I never see another post like this one... 

• Like 1

Dear Friend, you're right. I didn't loose my key, it's working, but MANUALLY. I'd rather have it working in the remote mode, that's it.

I have the spare key too, inserted in a card, but that's something I can't understand, how an expensive car like the LS-400 came with only one remote key...

Best regards,

Otavio Ventura

(Brazil)

Thanks to all the responses. I went to the Lexus dealer with my title and had a non remote key cut for $50; much cheaper that the locksmiths who said they would need to find my code and then take apart my steering column to make an ignition key.

Don't ever ask LockSmiths for key problem (At least, for LS400). The key does not have chip so there is no need to reprogram and dealership make it for you for less than $100. I think it is expensive, but worth the headache with Lock Smith folks. Been there, done that.