Replacement Speakers For Ls430

Bermuden

I recently purchased a 03 LS 430 and love it. The only problem I have is at least one blown speaker (ML audio and nav system). Local shops want to replace the front door speakers with sony or pioneer without looking up any specs or at the speakers themselves. They say this will work unless the speakers are self amplified and the will check that when they start to install. It seems to me that they have a few speaker types they like to use and conceder very little besides the size of the mounting. Dose anyone know if the ML speakers are self amplified or, better yet, know of good replacement speakers to match or improve the factory sound without replacing the amp?

Wow, wanting to replace a Mark Levinson speaker with a sony or pioneer?????? Ouch! I'd say take it to someone who know's their stuff!! Would it be out of the question to just order new ones from the dealer?? I know the stock systems are pretty amazing unless you want a bunch of subs and new receiver and everything.

Actually the speakers in the Mark Levinson system aren't really crazy expensive speakers. It does sound good, I have the Levinson system in my 04 LS, but it isn't super duper crazy. I think the only self-amplified speaker in the system is the sub.

The money is really in the placement and design so the soundstage would be just right, etc. I remember reading somewhere that the speaker elements weren't anything special. You can probably open one up an see for yourself. I'll bet you find paper cones, etc.

But even though an aftermarket speaker will be better constructed, I would be really careful before I just threw something in there. Everything in the Lexus is designed to work together.

I don't think any of them are self-amplified; including the sub.

The door OEM parts are expensive but not outrageous; Sewell has the door mids for about $100 a pop:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/assembly.asp?id...10&year=164

$300 for the sub though is a ripoff.

Interestingly they are the same price as the Pioneer parts. I think Harman makes the speakers (ML, JBL and HK are all part of the same company). Lots of money went into both speaker placement as well as the electronics and DSP processing in the amp itself. The amp I'm sure is designed with the specific limitations and response curves of the speakers themselves; the results of putting non-spec parts in there are probably unpredictable.

It's rare to hear about the doors being blown; usually it's the sub (this does happen). You also might check fleabay..sometimes these parts come up there.

I recently purchased a 03 LS 430 and love it. The only problem I have is at least one blown speaker (ML audio and nav system). Local shops want to replace the front door speakers with sony or pioneer without looking up any specs or at the speakers themselves. They say this will work unless the speakers are self amplified and the will check that when they start to install. It seems to me that they have a few speaker types they like to use and conceder very little besides the size of the mounting. Dose anyone know if the ML speakers are self amplified or, better yet, know of good replacement speakers to match or improve the factory sound without replacing the amp?

• 8 years later...

The Mark Levinson system is an audiophile level, clean sounding and balanced sound system. There is nothing better out there, full stop. Putting in aftermarket speakers is a terrible, horrible mistake. If you're having trouble. go to "Simplyspeakers.com" and contact their support number/email. 

• 2 years later...

I think Mark levinson speakers are Junk. ALL my ML speakers broke (sounded like all cones wereshot) after only 80k miles of driving and NO loud music. 2003 Lexus ls430. Even in this forum people are talking having to replace after only a few years. I have had Nissan sports cars where the speakers lasted 20 years. Personally I think Pioneer, Sony or Polk are far superior speakers than ML speakers, and last 10 times longer. For a car that cost $80k I say the speakers are *BLEEP*.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, new to this site. Thanks Tony.T for the post, I thought I was the only guy dissatisfied with the Mark Lev system. Had a reputable audio store in my area replace the speakers shortly after I purchased my 430 7 years ago, never regretted that. (Since then had to replace a blown subwoofer, and the whole CD changer/ stereo receiver. Both of those were replaced at the Lexus dealer)