Trans Fluid Level Check

tgcLS430

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I am a new owner of a 2004 LS430 and I cannot find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid level. Can anyone tell me how to check the transmission fluid level? Thanks in advance...

they dont want you find it , on my 2001 its beside the valve cover on the drivers side about 4-5 inches down if i remember correctly , put on gloves or use a pair of pliers if your engine is hot, its a tight fit . i think it was a green colored end. i ges lexus doesnt think its owners should check tranny fluid cause its a pain to get to

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I am a new owner of a 2004 LS430 and I cannot find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid level. Can anyone tell me how to check the transmission fluid level? Thanks in advance...

they dont want you find it , on my 2001 its beside the valve cover on the drivers side about 4-5 inches down if i remember correctly , put on gloves or use a pair of pliers if your engine is hot, its a tight fit . i think it was a green colored end. i ges lexus doesnt think its owners should check tranny fluid cause its a pain to get to

Thanks for the reply. I checked where you described and no dipstick. None on the other side or anywhere to be seen. The owner's manual is silent on checking trans fluid level (numerous pages of radio features, though), so I am afraid this is a dealer check item, if in fact they even check it. Why that is, I can't imagine. I don't think it is the $10 they saved by not including a trans dipstick on a $60k car. I know BMW does not have an engine oil dipstick on the new 3 Series, only an electronic level sensor that alerts you when a quart low. This is not a good trend when the manufacturers start eliminating features that allow owners to check the condition of their cars. I'll give the dealer service dept a call tomorrow to ask how the fluid level is checked. I've always done my own basic maintenance but this is my first Lexus and I may not fit the demographic for a typical owner. End of rant...thanks for listening!

Follow up to my original posting :

I spoke with a dealership service person and it turns out that during the 2004 model year the LS430 was switched to a new "lifetime fill" ATF fluid, meaning it is supposed to be good to at least 100k miles. At the time they switched to the lifetime fluid they also eliminated the dipstick to prevent owners from topping off the trans with conventional ATF fluid. There is a way to check the fluid level without the use of a dipstick but it requires access to the car from underneath while the car is on a lift. This dealer said they will change the "lifetime" fluid at 100k if the owner requests, but it is more expensive due to the special fluid and the procedure involves pumping the new fluid in from beneath and takes more labor. I'm not a big fan of the new "lifetime" or "extended life" fluids such as coolant and now trans fluid.

I addition to my pair of Lexus' I own, I also own a 2002 Ford Explorer 2WD and guess what? - NO TRANNY DIPSTICK !!!

However, I can get underneath the vehicle and check the fluid level. There is a plug that is removable located about two inches

below the top of the fluid pan. I unscrew the plug, insert finger, if I "feel" fluid, it is full. Go figure!!!!!!