How To Change Cabin Air Filter 97 Es300

jam_nc

Hi,

I am trying to locate some visual instructions on how to change the cabin air filter on a 1997 Lexus ES300. The filter that I purchased has some basic instructions, however, they do not seem to match with my vehicle. Therefore, I am looking for additional information.

I have pulled the carpet away (next to the accelerator) and exposed the cover to the filters. The instructions say to squeeze a tab at the top of the cover, and pull it out and away. I cannot locate this tab that the instructions refer to.

Thanks.

I am not the best to explain, but let me try.

There's a one inch by five inch vertical strip that you see. That strip has two tabs on the top. Squeeze those two tabs and pull upward. The plastic cover will slip off after you squeeze the two tabs. Then remove the bottom filter. Pull that halfway and bend and pull the other half out. So now pull the other tab down, and repeat again. Pull that halfway and then bend and pull it out. Hope that makes sense.

I am not the best to explain, but let me try.

There's a one inch by five inch vertical strip that you see. That strip has two tabs on the top. Squeeze those two tabs and pull upward. The plastic cover will slip off after you squeeze the two tabs. Then remove the bottom filter. Pull that halfway and bend and pull the other half out. So now pull the other tab down, and repeat again. Pull that halfway and then bend and pull it out. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. That helped. The instructions I received with the filter kit left out a step which caused some confustion for me. I was able to do as you described, and it worked like a charm. You definitely have to bend those filters at the mid-point junction to get them to insert (and come out) properly.

Thanks again for your help.

• 10 months later...

For any others that hit this topic in a search you can find the information with pictures in the Technical Service Information Bulletin.pdf (TSIB) beginning on page 104 listed under "AIR CONDITIONING EVAPORATOR ODOR" .

The PDF download is located in the forum sticky "1997 Es300 Factory Owners Manual".

It also covers Models: ’92–96 ES 300, ’93–’94 LS 400, All GS 300, SC 300/400, LX 450.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=26428

"Cabin air-filter replacement"