Check Vsc, Check Cruise Control, Cneck Engine Light

fyounes

mine still has the original battery, but it starts fine and have no symptoms that the battery is weak,,,

Having a working original battery in a 2001 LS430 seems amazing to me. I'm about as obsessive as one can get about maintaining batteries -- checking weekly and topping up with distilled water -- and I rarely get much more than four years out of a battery in an LS. Maybe I should ignor them, LOL.

My 2000 LS400 in-service date was 31 July 2000 and it is already on its third battery. The original battery was replaced 14 Oct 2004 after its failure was verified by my regular mechanic -- so it lasted a little over 50 months. The second battery, a rather expensive Interstate installed by my mechanic, failed in March 07 -- it lasted only 29 months. This time I replaced it with a battery from Wal-Mart since it was a weekend, failure was total and I was stranded - in a cemetery, no less.

I've gone through a butt-load of batteries in the almost 18 years I've been driving Lexus LS cars. The owner of the indie repair shop (specializes in Lexus) who maintains our cars told me that the LS is particularly hard on batteries due to all the electronics/power gadgets. I'm thinking that his theory is correct since my wife's 10 year old Camry is on only its second battery.

On my LS cars, batteries have generally exhibited signs of failure over a several month period before failing completely. Symptoms have included the engine dying when driving hard around a low speed curve and/or hitting a bump or pothole -- and on my 2000 LS400, the display of the "Check VSC" message. During this period of gradual failure, the batteries have sometimes checked out as still being OK when the specific gravity of the electrolyte was checked with a battery tester.

Unless you are trying to set a record, you might as well replace your battery.

mine still has the original battery, but it starts fine and have no symptoms that the battery is weak,,,

Having a working original battery in a 2001 LS430 seems amazing to me. I'm about as obsessive as one can get about maintaining batteries -- checking weekly and topping up with distilled water -- and I rarely get much more than four years out of a battery in an LS. Maybe I should ignor them, LOL.

My 2000 LS400 in-service date was 31 July 2000 and it is already on its third battery. The original battery was replaced 14 Oct 2004 after its failure was verified by my regular mechanic -- so it lasted a little over 50 months. The second battery, a rather expensive Interstate installed by my mechanic, failed in March 07 -- it lasted only 29 months. This time I replaced it with a battery from Wal-Mart since it was a weekend, failure was total and I was stranded - in a cemetery, no less.

I've gone through a butt-load of batteries in the almost 18 years I've been driving Lexus LS cars. The owner of the indie repair shop (specializes in Lexus) who maintains our cars told me that the LS is particularly hard on batteries due to all the electronics/power gadgets. I'm thinking that his theory is correct since my wife's 10 year old Camry is on only its second battery.

On my LS cars, batteries have generally exhibited signs of failure over a several month period before failing completely. Symptoms have included the engine dying when driving hard around a low speed curve and/or hitting a bump or pothole -- and on my 2000 LS400, the display of the "Check VSC" message. During this period of gradual failure, the batteries have sometimes checked out as still being OK when the specific gravity of the electrolyte was checked with a battery tester.

Unless you are trying to set a record, you might as well replace your battery.

No, I m not trying to set a record on my battery, haha. I had the Battery checked and the alternator as well, they seem to be fine.

But, I was reading other posts on club lexus.com, its funny someone mentioned almost similar symptoms as mine,

he had his car checked by autozone scanner tool, and it trigered his VSC off light, he said he paid someone with the lexus hand tester to reprogram the sensor.

Yes, this was the original battery on my 99 LS400. It was the cause of the VSC problems. Car would stop suddenly. In the end, it would not start. Always started before though. Car does not tell you when battery goes weak.

Anyway, as I said, it screwed up the computer, which had to be reprogrammed. All's OK now.

i got the problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally, i reset the vsc light by jumping the DLC3 Ts and Gc connectors, waited till i got a message vsc test,

shut off the car, took the jumper out....voila...lights off,,,,,

• 1 month later...
Got mine fixed today! the VSC etc. problem, at a cost of $360 at a non Lexus dealer really good mechanic.

The problem was the battery, original, old, and needed replacement. According to him, the low voltage caused problems in the computer, reading bad values from sensors and really !Removed! it up.

He reprogrammed the computer after replacing the battery and the Lexus runs like a new one.

PS: the $360 includes towing charges of $85, not so bad.

Hope this will help someone.

Thank you so much for this info. I hope it helps me as well.

dv

• 1 year later...
i got the problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally, i reset the vsc light by jumping the DLC3 Ts and Gc connectors, waited till i got a message vsc test,

shut off the car, took the jumper out....voila...lights off,,,,,

Hi,

I'd very much like to get my Check VSC light to go out. Can you please tell me (in laymans terms) where to find the said "DLC3 Ts and Gc connectors"

Many thanks,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hey all-

This thread was really helpful...

For what it's worth, the VSC/Check VSC warning message came up on our 2004 LS430 mid-trip a week or so ago (about a 400 mile trip). Just got back and had a chance to look into it. Sure enough, after charging the battery for about an hour, the warning message doesn't come on anymore. Didn't have to reset the code or anything; it just went out (briefly came on, then went off after first start after charging the battery).

Just throwing my experience in there... check the battery first if you have this warning come on!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...