Why Are My Dash Warning Lights On?

godpossessed

The "brake" light was on all the time, and the light that is the symbol of the car with light coming out of the rear went on as soon as the brakes were applied. I checked the fluid (fine) and replaced the 2 bulbs that were out in the trunk lid (double filament tail/brake). The warning lights went out for a little while, but now they are back on. The bulbs are still good. Any ideas?

thanks

m

are you sure that all your bulbs light up when you press the brake?

ask some1 to stand behind the car when you press the brake pedal and check.

as to the brake light on, is it the big red rectangle with the word brake in it?

or is it the circle?

are you sure that all your bulbs light up when you press the brake?

ask some1 to stand behind the car when you press the brake pedal and check.

as to the brake light on, is it the big red rectangle with the word brake in it?

or is it the circle?

Do as VFM suggests. bad connections on the bulb sockets will cause this problem. make sure the new bulbs are seated good. I have seen new bulbs be bad also. As VMF said, make sure all lights are on when brakes are applied and when headlamps are on. Just one bulb being out will cause the indicator to show as bad lamp.

OK I finally got all the bulbs replaced. They were all lighting up but I changed them and squirted the sockets with contact cleaner. No change! The "brake" light on the dash still remains lit and the cruise won't work. The light is about half lit. It becomes fully lit when I set the e-brake. Any thoughts?

Mark

I guess I would first screw around with the brake pedal position indicator if you can find it. I know most cars use some type of a switch near the pedal. Maybe it is just hung up or slightly out of adjustment. With a little luck you might be able to get it off. I suppose if the master cylinder had an internal leak it might cause it. Wwat happens if you hold firm pressure on the brake pedal?

i remember there was a thread here about the circuit that is responsible for that light. as far as i remember it is located somewhere around the middle brake light. it is worth checking if that circuit is still working as expected.

Well, I think I found the problem. I replaced the center brake lights and it didn't help. I checked the fluid agian, just to be sure and it was full. Then, I took the lid off of the reservior and jiggled the floaty. No help. The light was still on. Then I unplugged the sensor to the lid and, voila!, the brake arning goes off. I am assuming that would indicate a failed sensor. Any thoughts?

m