2000 Es300 Check Engine Light And Trac Off On At Same Time

powerbob

2000 ES300

I have had a the check engine light and trac off light come on simultaneously. The lights will occationally go out, but then return later. No codes other than P0330 Knock sensor register on the Autozone code reader and my mechanic's Snap-on code reader. I have also noticed that the car will not go into overdrive if the wheels happen to slip with these dash warning lights lit. I have to turn off the engine to reset the computer to get the car and transmission to go into overdrive properly. The transmission will go out of overdrive after the wheels slip and the transmission drops out of overdrive.

Is this a known problem on the 2000 ES 300and what is the solution? Thanks, bob

2000 ES300

I have had a the check engine light and trac off light come on simultaneously. The lights will occationally go out, but then return later. No codes other than P0330 Knock sensor register on the Autozone code reader and my mechanic's Snap-on code reader. I have also noticed that the car will not go into overdrive if the wheels happen to slip with these dash warning lights lit. I have to turn off the engine to reset the computer to get the car and transmission to go into overdrive properly. The transmission will go out of overdrive after the wheels slip and the transmission drops out of overdrive.

The knock sensor diagnostic probably means the engine is sometimes running too lean. That can be due to a failing fuel pump, a plugged up fuel filter, or even an engine intake air filter.

It would not be unusual for OD to be disabled with a CEL and the Trac is a default condition when there is a CEL. Fix the CEL problem and Trac will be okay.

2000 ES300

The knock sensor diagnostic probably means the engine is sometimes running too lean. That can be due to a failing fuel pump, a plugged up fuel filter, or even an engine intake air filter.

It would not be unusual for OD to be disabled with a CEL and the Trac is a default condition when there is a CEL. Fix the CEL problem and Trac will be okay.

wwest,

Therefore there is no known cause for the CEL (check engine light) and Trac Off. Both come on when the check engine light comes on. I have noticed the check engine light and trac off come on going straight down the freeway. Then it may or may not be illuminated when I re-start the car. The check engine andt trac off seem to turn on for no apparent reason. Can Lexus service diagognose and read the code to determine the CEL problem? Other code readers could not read any codes related to a check engine light.

The OD will work with this check engine light and trac off illuminated until the wheels slip, then the transmission will not go into OD. The car needs to be turned off to re-set the computer to go back into OD at highway speeds.

thanks,

bob

• 4 weeks later...
2000 ES300

The Knock sensor needed to be replaced (both of them). The CEL causes the Trac Off light to illuminate. The Trac OFF light had nothing to do with the transmission, wheel sensors etc. The Autozone and other code reader read the code to be a knock sensor problem. The knock sensor replacement was expensive but it did correct the problem. By the way the car would not alway go into OD when the Trac Off light was illuminated (some protect default setting by the car computer).

Hope this helps the next guy,

bob

2000 ES300

The Knock sensor needed to be replaced (both of them). The CEL causes the Trac Off light to illuminate. The Trac OFF light had nothing to do with the transmission, wheel sensors etc. The Autozone and other code reader read the code to be a knock sensor problem. The knock sensor replacement was expensive but it did correct the problem. By the way the car would not alway go into OD when the Trac Off light was illuminated (some protect default setting by the car computer).

Hope this helps the next guy,

bob

powerbob -

i'm about to buy a 2000 Lexus ES300 and am searching the forums for info. It's a great car and I hope the deal goes through this week. This is good info to know - just curious as to how much those knock sensors cost you and whether or not you went to a dealership for that or an indie mechanic?

Thanks

FJU

powerbob -

i'm about to buy a 2000 Lexus ES300 and am searching the forums for info. It's a great car and I hope the deal goes through this week. This is good info to know - just curious as to how much those knock sensors cost you and whether or not you went to a dealership for that or an indie mechanic?

Thanks

FJU

Here the parts wesite we normally use Click here