Power Steering Leak!

Lexus ES300

I'm surprised it's still running. That kind of leak usually gooses your alternator so get it fixed a.s.a.p. you can find all you need to know at www.lexls.com and by searching this forum. It is a diy job for anyone with average know how.

Hi,

The most probably cause is the o ring seal on the reservoir this is available from Lexus at around $6.00 Part # 90080-30040

You need to remove the low pressure return pipe and 3 bolts holding it to the pump. ( you don't have to remove the pump itself)

Remove as much fluid as you can 1st using a rubber bulb type chicken baster then put plenty of rags under the pump to catch any remaining fluid.

Here are some pictures showing the bolt locations and the o ring.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/ste...exuspspump1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/ste...exuspspump2.jpg

Reassemble then top up the ps fluid and bleed the system.

Good luck

Hi,

The most probably cause is the o ring seal on the reservoir this is available from Lexus at around $6.00 Part # 90080-30040

You need to remove the low pressure return pipe and 3 bolts holding it to the pump. ( you don't have to remove the pump itself)

Remove as much fluid as you can 1st using a rubber bulb type chicken baster then put plenty of rags under the pump to catch any remaining fluid.

Good luck

I just ordered power steering kit from Lexus (o rings, seals....) for 20 and some change.

They didn't have it in stock, they told me for tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm planning to change all o-rings.

I'll try to take some pictures to show you how I did it.

Thank you for help!

Hi,

Good luck

I just ordered power steering kit from Lexus (o rings, seals....) for 20 and some change.

They didn't have it in stock, they told me for tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm planning to change all o-rings.

I'll try to take some pictures to show you how I did it.

Thank you for help!

I just got this 95 LS400 but there is a small power steering leak, maybe 1 liter per month.

Power steering pump is wet.

Is there any trick to stop this leak?

Thanks!

if the pump is wet then its leaking on the outside, so more likely to be the o-rings. The white smoke on start up usually has no visible leaks on the pumps. Is yours blowing smoke on start up?

I just got this 95 LS400 but there is a small power steering leak, maybe 1 liter per month.

Thanks!

if the pump is wet then its leaking on the outside, so more likely to be the o-rings. The white smoke on start up usually has no visible leaks on the pumps. Is yours blowing smoke on start up?

I changed this o-ring:

The old one was baaaad.

My Lex is blowing smoke on start up but I'll see tomorrow because my car now runs without Idle Control Valve.

I wish I would have read this post a month ago...when I found out my power steering fluid was leaking. I thought I could just add fluid and it would be ok...but 2 nights ago alternator went bad and I was stranded in the in highway 3 miles away from my house at 3 a.m. in the morning when my battery died. Now my car is at the mechanic and I'm hoping I'll have it back soon. I am getting the alternator replaced and the seal on the power steering changed.

hi from france

lexus ls 400 1990.

i change my power steering liquid every month. Because every month there is a noise like air in the system. It's tired to do this every month. I hope there is something else whose wrong.

thanks all guys for your answers and questions on this forum.

We love our cars.

regards

Denis

hi from france

lexus ls 400 1990.

i change my power steering liquid every month. Because every month there is a noise like air in the system. It's tired to do this every month. I hope there is something else whose wrong.

We love our cars.

regards

Denis

i have answers to all these powersteering issues, first off if u r getting smoke at start up it is the valve on your pump, it has 2 vacuum lines going to it and one goes to the intake manifold

next ......if u replace one component of the power steering you need to replace hoses and the rack, contaminated fluid will kill one and cause the others to fail, if u plan on keeping your car fix it and fix it right do not do this job half assed, other wise u will be replacing components later on 2 or 3 times until u have them all fixed anyways, i have fixed just about everything on my 92 so any questions any of u have u can email me, i work for NAPA auto parts and used to be a mechanic, i have extensive knowledge and would like to help on any situation i can

I've been having problems with my 1990 LS400 Power Steering too. The PS has air bubbles in the fluid, which points me to believing that there's a leak somewhere, yet I still cannot find it. Would this O-ring be the source? There is nothing on the alternator.

hi from france

lexus ls 400 1990.

We love our cars.

regards

Denis

Welcome men, nice to hear a frenchmen have a Lexus :)

If you get smoke at start up, that means you have to change a Idle Control Valve.

• 1 month later...
hi from france

lexus ls 400 1990.

We love our cars.

regards

Denis

i have answers to all these powersteering issues, first off if u r getting smoke at start up it is the valve on your pump, it has 2 vacuum lines going to it and one goes to the intake manifold

next ......if u replace one component of the power steering you need to replace hoses and the rack, contaminated fluid will kill one and cause the others to fail, if u plan on keeping your car fix it and fix it right do not do this job half assed, other wise u will be replacing components later on 2 or 3 times until u have them all fixed anyways, i have fixed just about everything on my 92 so any questions any of u have u can email me, i work for NAPA auto parts and used to be a mechanic, i have extensive knowledge and would like to help on any situation i can

hi from france

lexus ls 400 1990.

We love our cars.

regards

Denis

i have a 1994 ls 400 my powersteering was leaking for months. finally i put a oring on my the bottom of my fluid canister. that stopped the leak but now sounds like maybe my steering pump is making a noise all the time. waht to do?

Thanks!

I changed this o-ring:

The old one was baaaad.

My Lex is blowing smoke on start up but I'll see tomorrow because my car now runs without Idle Control Valve.

If you've blocked off the intake manifold and are still getting smoke,

chances are there's a different reason for it. You didn't mention the

mileage on your '95, but some with high mileage have valve seal issues.

I would also clean/flush the reservoir screen, but you do have to

remove the reservoir to do this. It's good practice to review old threads

from time to time, you always find something new. Like the link VB posted

to planetsoarer.com.....one of the best I've seen on the subject.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys.. this is my first attempt to do some mechanic work of any kind. so please bear with me. i have a ps fluid leak. my alternator went out. i want to fix this. i have been reading all posts regarding this. i know im going to sound dumb asking this. but how do you remove the power steering pump, return line, alternator? is there a guide somewhere that shows how to remove these. i have a 91 ls400. i was hoping python or somebody could point me in the right direction. im afraid of making a bigger mess of things if i just start taking bolts off left and right.. thanks guys... :huh:

• 10 months later...

Well, there is no doubt that I have a pretty big external power steering leak, as well as internal. The front part of my frame rail is covered in the power steering fluid under the pump areas. I have also seen and smelled the white smoke on startup, but only occasionally. Mine seems to be worse when the air temperature drops below 40°f (when I have to add more fluid). If above 60°f, it never leaks, or its very minimal. Why is that? <_<

There are countless threads on this issue, but I have yet to find one that has a detailed description of how to fix the external leak and how to easily bypass the hose that causes the internal leaks. :(

Mine seems to be worse when the air temperature drops below 40°f (when I have to add more fluid). If above 60°f, it never leaks, or its very minimal. Why is that?

Cold temperatures cause the seals to shrivel up and become brittle so more fluid leaks out of them.

There are countless threads on this issue, but I have yet to find one that has a detailed description of how to fix the external leak and how to easily bypass the hose that causes the internal leaks. :(

I'm not sure what you mean by "external" and "internal" leaks, but you can bypass the speed-sensitive steering by removing the flow control valve, installing a bolt where it used to be, removing the small hoses connected to the intake manifold, and installing vacuum caps where they were connected.

If you replace the pump you should do this unless you want to pay an additional $175 for a replacement flow control valve. Yours is surely shot at your car's age and mileage. PS fluid leaks come from many different places, the flow control valve is one of them.

PM or e-mail me if you want a detailed description.

Ah, I see. Good thing I do not live in Alaska. :)

Yes, I will send you a PM, as I need that detailed info.

When I say leaking externally, I meant was leaking fluid out and onto the cars frame rail and under hood. Internally- I meant the fluid is being sucked in and burned out the exhaust.. I occasionally get that white smoke/smell on startup.

Thanks!

Cold temperatures cause the seals to shrivel up and become brittle so more fluid leaks out of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "external" and "internal" leaks, but you can bypass the speed-sensitive steering by removing the flow control valve, installing a bolt where it used to be, removing the small hoses connected to the intake manifold, and installing vacuum caps where they were connected.

If you replace the pump you should do this unless you want to pay an additional $175 for a replacement flow control valve. Yours is surely shot at your car's age and mileage. PS fluid leaks come from many different places, the flow control valve is one of them.

PM or e-mail me if you want a detailed description.

• 10 months later...

I've been having the same problems with my 1990 LS400 Power Steering. The Power Steering has air bubbles in the fluid, but I took it to a mechanic, and they didn't find any leaks anywhere, so i was reading this thread, and was thinking it might be the o ring too? Also the part number that was given; 90080-30040; i can't find it anywhere. Is there another part number or another website anyone can refer me to?