This Whole Timing Belt Change Thing At 90,000 Miles...

eddielasvegas

2uzfe is in 98-2000, and 3uzfe is in 2001-2006 models

Stop spreading BS! The 2UZ-FE is the 4.7 liter V8 found in the previous generation Tundra, the GX470, LX470, V8 4Runner, etc, etc...

95-97 have the same engine as 90-94 LS, just a lil extra power, but no vvti

There are so many changes from the 1990-1994 to the 1995-1997 engine that it would take a whole thread just to go over them. One of the biggest changes was an increase in compression up to 10.4:1. Many, including myself, believe that this change made the 1995-1997 engine an interference design, regardless of what online sources say because pistons have hit valves in at least one case in a 1995-1997 engine when the belt has broken. Now I don't care if you say otherwise but please don't keep spreading misinformation because it's going to cost someone an engine.

it really is non interference engine, when the belt snaps, engine just dies.

Again, please stop spreading misinformation. The 1998-2000 1UZ-FE is also an interference motor. The pistons may hit the valves, resulting in a catastrophic event leading to an engine rebuild or replacement!

In short:

1990-1994 Non-interference

1995-2000 Interference!

In short:

1995-2000 Interference!

I have done a little forum searching and the above seems to be generally agreed upon.

Shouldn't this info be on a sticky? it comes up so often, I think we should get consensus on the issue and have it sealed away in the reference section, as I agree with Sonyman, it may cost someone an engine.

VMF, please check your PM's.

Thanks.

agree about 2uzfe, my mistake, while i witnessed 2 cases of snapped timing belt on 96 and 97 LS models that did not resulted in the engine rebuild. this is the reason that leads me to believe that it is a non interference engine, tech at lexus confirmed that only 1uzfe with vvti is an interference engine. my 1996 lexus repair manual also states that all 1uzfe engines prior to 98 are non interference engines, yes the engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter conrods and pistons and compression, but please do tell me how does that make it an interference engine? vvti on the other hand will let the piston and the valve collide due in case of the belt failure.

i understand that you like to use strong language to make sure that people understand the gravity of the situation, but please refrain from doing so in the future.

agree about 2uzfe, my mistake, while i witnessed 2 cases of snapped timing belt on 96 and 97 LS models that did not resulted in the engine rebuild. this is the reason that leads me to believe that it is a non interference engine, tech at lexus confirmed that only 1uzfe with vvti is an interference engine. my 1996 lexus repair manual also states that all 1uzfe engines prior to 98 are non interference engines, yes the engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter conrods and pistons and compression, but please do tell me how does that make it an interference engine? vvti on the other hand will let the piston and the valve collide due in case of the belt failure.

i understand that you like to use strong language to make sure that people understand the gravity of the situation, but please refrain from doing so in the future.

I myself was wondering about whether the 95-97 was a interference or non interference engine as it was my understanding prior to now that is was an interference engine.

Anyone can be mistaken here, but that certainly does not mean that they're deliberately spreading misinformation. I agree with VMF that condemning and accusing someone of deliberately misleading others is totally uncalled for. If someone is wrong or another is correct, that can be easily established with a distillation of the facts.

I've been on enough boards where there's a lot of rancor. What's nice about these boards is that everyone is cordial. I'd like to see it stay that way.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

I am glad I bought another gen 1 LS400 (1991 - which has just had the timing belt replaced anyway) instead of that 1995 LS400 (in which the last timing belt change was unknown).

My old 2000 Toyota Tundra had that 4.7L V8, which was an interference engine had 107K when I sold it and the timing belt had never been changed and the interval was 90K. I told the buyer that the belt was due and needed to be changed posthaste, because if it were to snap, the engine damage would be catastrophic. I have however seen some Tundra's with as much as 170K with the original timing belt, but thats just walking on very thin ice!

In short:

1995-2000 Interference!

I myself was wondering about whether the 95-97 was a interference or non interference engine as it was my understanding prior to now that is was an interference engine.

Anyone can be mistaken here, but that certainly does not mean that they're deliberately spreading misinformation. I agree with VMF that condemning and accusing someone of deliberately misleading others is totally uncalled for. If someone is wrong or another is correct, that can be easily established with a distillation of the facts.

I've been on enough boards where there's a lot of rancor. What's nice about these boards is that everyone is cordial. I'd like to see it stay that way.

I accused no one of being deliberate in their ways. I did, however, tell him to stop because he needs to substantiate his facts. If he had gone fact-finding, he would have come to a different conclusion. Interference vs non-interference is a very serious topic as it can easily cost a misinformed individual an engine. I'm sorry if I appear harsh or blunt, but that's just the way it goes.

havn't visited the forums for a while, and looks like this infamous "NI vs Interference" debate is flaring up again!

in short, 2nd Gen 1UZFE (1995~1997 LS400) is definitely an INTERFERENCE engine, don't take chances! almost 2 years ago, we, the old timers, had a very long and heated discussions:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25946

member JPI who did lots of 1UZFE engine repairs finally reported that "Valves slight touch the pistons" in a 95 LS400 engine he was working on at that time:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...25946&st=59

well, IMHO, no matter how slightly it can be, as long as pistons can contact valves, it still can cause great damages, and no way it can be called "non-interference". also, the service manual for my 97 LS400 does have this exact warning "piston head and valve head can make contact" if crank pulley is not turned before removing timing belt.

thus, it's pretty convincing to me that it's an interference engine and we must take cautions accordingly.

How about we agree to the following;

89-94...non-interference...won't hurt engine if breaks

95-97...quasi-interference....50/50 chance of killing the engine if it breaks

98+...interference...100% of killing engine if it breaks

Because, quite frankly, after all of us over the years have argued about this, we still don't have a 100% answer for the 95-97 models. If anyone should ask if they should change their belt in those model years, tell them it's a 50/50 chance, and if they choose not to change the belt, ask them to post up the results when the belt does indeed break.

deal?

what next, wanda, we want to pull up the whole synthetic oil thread again? how about the tires? hahaha...:cheers: Good to see you back on the boards ;)

Hi All ,. Just curious if you dont change your belt at 90,00 just how long are you going to wait to change it? How long will you put it off. If you are going to go another 10,000 to 20,000 miles then change it ,why wait ? Its going to get changed anyway. Other than that would u want to go another 50,000 to 100,00 miles you would be taking a big risk. Just curious

I had a 4 cylinder car a 1994 I only changed the belt earlier this year, it lasted. The belt seemed in ok condition but i knew it was not safe to run.

The rubber gets old and hard and the teeth can get torn off and the belt may not break .