Radio/climate Control Lights Relay?

radiohound

Greetings form Florida:

just got an 95 LS 400 and have noticed that when I turn my headlights on, the LCd displays in the radio and climate control go out. The light in the glove box works when I open it ..but when the headlights are on, it goes out.

is there a relay or something that needs replacing?

can some one guide me? if it is a relay, where is it located and the part #, if possible

thanks and warm thoughts

-f-

by lcd displays going out you mean all the information disappears from the screen or you mean the backlight is out? is it only for headlights or when you put your parking lights on? when u put just the parking lights do all buttons light up?

what happens to lcd when you put the parking lights on?

by lcd displays going out you mean all the information disappears from the screen or you mean the backlight is out? is it only for headlights or when you put your parking lights on? when u put just the parking lights do all buttons light up?

There is a dimmer for your dashlights and what not, it may be the problem, because when the headlights are off, all the lights might be on all the way, and when the headlights go on, it passes the control to the dimmer.... Check and see if the dimmer is working, if it isn;t, then shake it a bit and see if anything happens, and if still nothing, than I am sorry :(

Okay;

checked when the parking lights go on ...

the display lights go off ... also, the glove box.

Headlights on ..display and glove box lights off.

Hope this narrows it down some. thanks for your help.

-f-

so lcd lights are off in both parking lights mode and headlights mode?

when the ligts DO go off, how are the lights on the buttons? are they also off or are they on?

here is the sequence i would like you to do

1. monitor the lights when the key is in the acc mode and lights switch is in the off mode. and let me know the status of the lights for LCDs and for the buttons on the climate control and stereo.

2.turn the lights switch to parking lights mode and report the same

3. do the same for the headlights on postion of the switch.

so lcd lights are off in both parking lights mode and headlights mode?

when the ligts DO go off, how are the lights on the buttons? are they also off or are they on?

here is the sequence i would like you to do

1. monitor the lights when the key is in the acc mode and lights switch is in the off mode. and let me know the status of the lights for LCDs and for the buttons on the climate control and stereo.

2.turn the lights switch to parking lights mode and report the same

3. do the same for the headlights on postion of the switch.

Okay, thanks for the reply.

In and ACC mode, the LCD lights are on, the leds are off for the fan speeds and the air flow modes .. but no background lighting for the overall buttons.

In the parking mode, the same, LCD lights are on, the leds are on for the fan speeds and the ir flow modes .. but no background lighting for the overall buttons. the glovebox light now works. but no background lighting for the overall buttons.

When the headlights come on, the lCD's for the radio and the clinate control go off, the led's stay on, but no background lighting for the overall buttons. the glovebox light now works. hmmm

I appeciate your help in this matter. driving at night, trying to figure out the heating system is very tricky. that backlighting of the controls is really impirtant.

Hope this helps.

-f-

so if i say that your buttons NEVER light up i would be correct?

Gosh, I sound like such a potato. I assume that the buttons are backlighted, as they are in other cars. In mine, never. In any mode. the leds within the buttons however are.

Also a question: is lexus the only car company in the 90-s that did not put a light in their console storage area. can't believe there isn't one there.

Thank you for your help.

-f-

this pretty much means that the switch that is responsible for the dimmer and interior dashboard lighting is not working. i assume exterior parking lights are on when you put in the switch into parking lights on mode?

i dont have electrical schemes for your year, lets hope another member might be able to help you pinpoint the location of the relay or switch, not sure what it is in your case

• 1 month later...
this pretty much means that the switch that is responsible for the dimmer and interior dashboard lighting is not working. i assume exterior parking lights are on when you put in the switch into parking lights on mode?

i dont have electrical schemes for your year, lets hope another member might be able to help you pinpoint the location of the relay or switch, not sure what it is in your case

I have the same problem in my 95 Ls400 with the Radio LCD, the tuner display is dimly lit (buttons not backlit) when the headlight are off. When I turn the lights on, the radio light goes out. The buttons are never lit. The radio spontaniously lit up one night while I was driving, with all the buttons back lit, but has never done so again. Seems like some sort of electrical short, but I'm not sure what to look for. My climate controls are lit up properly.

Thanks!

Still sounds like the dimmer pot. Try putting your parking lights on and rotating the dimmer until it clicks into the "full on" position (clockwise) and back a few times and notice any changes. With the dimmer all the way down you should have nothing lit up except the led's. With it locked in the "full on" position everything should light up with your speedo & tach at daylight levels.

• 6 months later...

I HAVE A LEXUS LS400 1996 AND I HAVE BEEN CONFRONTED WITH MY RADIO LIGHTS WHEN I START MY LEXUS THE RADIO LIGHT DOESNOT WORK WHEN I TURN ON THE HEADLIGHTS.

I DID CHANGE SOME BULBS STILL SAME PROBLEMS AND I DECIDED TO HIT AT THE SIDE OF THE RADIO AND ALL LIGHTS WHEN ON AND WHEN i TURNED OFF THE ENGINE AND STRTED AGAIN THE RADIO LIGHT DID NOT WORK AGAIN.

MY QUESTION IS: MAYBE THE RELAY???

GREETING FROM ARUBA.

• 3 months later...
Greetings form Florida:

just got an 95 LS 400 and have noticed that when I turn my headlights on, the LCd displays in the radio and climate control go out. The light in the glove box works when I open it ..but when the headlights are on, it goes out.

can some one guide me? if it is a relay, where is it located and the part #, if possible

thanks and warm thoughts

-f-

see next post for solution

Greetings form Florida:

thanks and warm thoughts

-f-

I had a similar problem with my lights, for 7 months I searched for an answer trying all of the solutions presented in this forum. Finally a mechanic suggested that I Make sure that the circuit was grounded. I removed the ash tray and found the wire that powers the light in the ashtray, connected a wire to the ground and a screw on the body of the car and all of the backlighting came on for the radio, climate control, ash tray light and shift indicator. Oh Happy day!!! After 7 months of darkness this was resolved by simply grounding the circuit. Time required 3 minutes, cost: a wire and a connector, .50.

• 3 months later...

:( I just bought a 95 LS400 and have the same issues (climate control LCD is backlit, climate control buttons are not (appears the (5) bulbs are all dead), radio/stereo there is no backlighting at all (have checked each bulb and they are fine). I'm going to try the ground wire solution noted in this thread for the stereo and replace the climate control bulbs with parts from Radio Shack. I have seen a previous topic (from around 2004) where a little soldering to the radio/stereo fixed that issue? Does anyone know what specifically needs to be soldered? I can provide photos of the stereo with both the upper and lower circuit boards exposed. Thanks.

Greetings form Florida:

thanks and warm thoughts

-f-

I had a similar problem with my lights, for 7 months I searched for an answer trying all of the solutions presented in this forum. Finally a mechanic suggested that I Make sure that the circuit was grounded. I removed the ash tray and found the wire that powers the light in the ashtray, connected a wire to the ground and a screw on the body of the car and all of the backlighting came on for the radio, climate control, ash tray light and shift indicator. Oh Happy day!!! After 7 months of darkness this was resolved by simply grounding the circuit. Time required 3 minutes, cost: a wire and a connector, .50.

• 2 weeks later...
:( I just bought a 95 LS400 and have the same issues (climate control LCD is backlit, climate control buttons are not (appears the (5) bulbs are all dead), radio/stereo there is no backlighting at all (have checked each bulb and they are fine). I'm going to try the ground wire solution noted in this thread for the stereo and replace the climate control bulbs with parts from Radio Shack. I have seen a previous topic (from around 2004) where a little soldering to the radio/stereo fixed that issue? Does anyone know what specifically needs to be soldered? I can provide photos of the stereo with both the upper and lower circuit boards exposed. Thanks.
Greetings form Florida:

thanks and warm thoughts

-f-

Problem solved with the stereo backlighting. I reheated most of the solder points in the back left corner of the lower circuit board, including some components I did find that were loose and now the backlights all work. I can not tell you which specifically solved the issue so I may have soldered more than necessary.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have just bought a cheap 1993 LS400 (as a cheap bit of fun to do up) and I have noticed that I have the same problem as Rondy had whereby my climate control and stereo LCD screens are illuminated when the main headlight switch is OFF, but as soon as I switch to lights ON they both go out and none of the backlighting for stereo, climate and gearshift turns on. the dimmer switch will only dim the speedo display in the dash and has no effect on the backlighting in the central section at all. I have checked that there is power to the bulb holders and they receive power when the light switch is turned on, so I am happy it is not the bulbs at all. I am sure that this is the same problem rondy had ( a ground fault ) and i wondered if he (or anybody else!) could be more specific as to what I need to ground to try and fix it. Rondy said " I removed the ash tray and found the wire that powers the light in the ashtray, connected a wire to the ground and a screw on the body of the car and all of the backlighting came on for the radio, climate control, ash tray light and shift indicator" - any further help and elaboration would be enormous help as this is very frustrating!

Best Wishes,

• 6 years later...

Does anyone know if the resistors in the back LH side of the radio are the same value. My lights are out on the radio (the LCD and backlight is fine) but the lights for the buttons are dead. Upon pulling the tuner apart I find one of the surface mount resistors is completely missing and the one next to it had one end lifted from the solder pad. The one resistor ...closest to the middle of the radio has 1R0 written on it (1 ohm). Can anyone please give me the number on the outer resistor.??

regards,

Graham  

• 3 years later...

Hi i have the similar issue when i turn on the headlight 

the lights on the center consule goes off when i off the head lights the display everything comes back 

please help me 

and can u explain me the wires that i should connect to the car body

Please my email 

revithpillai@icloud.com 

(Im sorry for my bad english )