4 replies to this topic

#1 kap

kap

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Model: 2001 RX300

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Mt 2001 RX300 makes a squealing noise when starting. It sounds just like slipping belts. I replaced both drive belts last year, and the noise decreased, but with cold weather returning, the noise has returned with a vengeance. The squealing only lasts about 5 seconds after starting, then abruptly goes away. It occurs most every time I start the enigne. I tried re-tightening the belts today, and adding a bit of belt dressing. With the inner fender trim off, when the engine was started, it sounded like the A/C compressor bearing may have been the cause of the squealing. Has anyone heard of the A/C compressor being the cause of a noise like this. Once again, the noise only lasts about 5 seconds and does not return under any conditions - only initial startup.
Thanks,

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 lenore

lenore

papa x9 2boys, 7 girls love them all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • First Name:Thomas
  • Model: 2008 Lexus RX400h 2nd Lexus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

The AC belt probably needs to be tightened just a little bit more. If you can twist the belt more than 1/2 from it movement it is too loose. You should be able to twist it a little, but not a full 90 degrees.

#3 tjmc11

tjmc11

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Model: '04 rx330

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

The above reply is true. The only catch is that you do not have an adjustment bolt as in most vehicles. You actually have to pry the belt / pully back and then tighten the securing bolt once you have it pryed to the correct tension. This is a bit of a project just to access the belt area etc. I had the exact same symptoms so I can understand the frustration of starting your car and receiving the loud noise. Hope this helps. Email me @ tjmc11@hotmail.com if you need any pics or video on how to do it.

#4 artbuc

artbuc

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Model: RX300

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:52 AM

The AC belt probably needs to be tightened just a little bit more. If you can twist the belt more than 1/2 from it movement it is too loose. You should be able to twist it a little, but not a full 90 degrees.

Lenore, I just posted a question re alternator belt tension then I found this thread. Could you elaborate? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Thanks.

#5 lenore

lenore

papa x9 2boys, 7 girls love them all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • First Name:Thomas
  • Model: 2008 Lexus RX400h 2nd Lexus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

grab the belt on the half way point between the alternator and the next pulley and try to twist it 90 degrees from its normal motion. It you can turn the belt more than 90 degrees it is too loose.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have