Dealer Installed Xm Radio On 08 Es 350 ?

8888LexusES

They do recommend putting it on the trunk for best reception. The antenna is actually quite small now, not like the previous version which was rather large and ugly. Why don't you ask them to show you what the antenna looks like. Another possibility would be to ask them if they could install the antenna in the back shelf. Some people have done that without reception issue. Personally I prefer outside. FYI, the antenna is taped down, not magnetic which I'm not too crazy about.

Because your car is black it wont show up as bad as mine did 07 Gold color....which I sold because I slid down my driveway in the snow into oncoming traffic. There is no traction control shut off, so it also cut down the power to the engine when the stablitrac kicked in..... WHAT FUN THAT WAS.. Sliding down a hill in drive but going backwards with no power to the engine. I still have my 07 RX 350 though, all wheel drive, thank goodness.

• 7 months later...

• 3 months later...

I have the antenna on the rear package shelf and with the black interior you don't notice it. I also get signals inside my garage so the reception is pretty good.

Obviously the unit doesn't cost the dealer anywhere near what they charge us so they'll give it away a lot quicker than they'll discount the vehicle (retail price to us). My unit was no-charge as part of the purchase deal. It costs them less to give it away while the vehcile cost me a lot less because they won't discount the car for the lost profit they didn't have.

So for people who are thinking about getting an ES, negotiate a price without Sat Radio and then decide you want it.

• 3 months later...
Rather than dealer installed, I installed a Vaistech XM interface with the new XM mini tuner. Unit maintains all the steering wheel controls and shows the XM text on the radio LCD or Nav screen. Price with the mini tuner was less than half what the dealer wanted for an install. Took 1.5 hrs to complete. Basically plug and play once access to the rear of the radio is gained. Ran the antenna to the rear shelf next to the light. Haven't had any reception problems so far, of course I live out in the midlands without many obstructions.

How did you run the cable to place the antenna in the back? How did you access the back of the radio?

• 2 weeks later...
Had XM installed on 08 ES 350 with antenna on back shelf next to stop light last week- no problem with reception- looks fine. Went to Chicago from MI and it worked like a charm-dealer had mentioned it may not work as well there versus on the trunk- and offered to move to trunk at no charge if it did not perform as expected. It does, so after 4 years having XM- in a couple different cars- still able to enjoy XM and the ES 350 (now with 1000 miles on it.)

The dealer relocated the xm antenna today to the rear shelf. I am a lot happier now without that ugly thing on the trunk. No problems at all with the signal.

Why can't Lexus be like most other manufacturers who have XM and Sirus ready radios have the shark fin or some other system other than a dealer installed antenna. This is ridiculous!!! I enjoy my XM on my 05 ES330 but still hate the ugly toothbox size antenna the dealer installed on the truck. I will probably buy and 08 this month and ask to have the antenna installed on the rear deck but Lexus needs to resolve this as it detracts from the appearance of the car! Doesn't Lexus have the shark fin antenna on other models?

The IS and the LS both have the shark fin, so I don't understand why Lexus decided not to put it on the ES.

[/

When I got my ES last November, I asked the salesman about that. He was quite candid. The everage age of the ES owner is the highest of all the Lexus models. Statistically, this older group do not buy Sat Radio. Therefore is wasn't worth Lexus's money to put a sharkfin on the ES.

IMO, Lexus tries harder than any other car maker to suck funds out of its clients so I'd have to accept that logic as mathematically correct. Personally, I think they should add the fin and a better standard radio to attract a few more 'younger' customers.