Trunk Lid Support Struts For '03 Ls430 Needed

Jerry Bransford

Both struts that support the rear trunk lid are shot, does anyone have a good online source or any kind of a recommendation for a source? I found them on eBay but sheesh they're $79.95 for a pair of them which is way more than gas charged lift struts normally cost.

At least I think they are both bad. When I use the remote to open the trunk, it only pops up maybe a half-inch. Is the trunk supposed to open all the way when I open it remotely with the key fob or the release under the dash?

Both struts that support the rear trunk lid are shot, does anyone have a good online source or any kind of a recommendation for a source? I found them on eBay but sheesh they're $79.95 for a pair of them which is way more than gas charged lift struts normally cost.

At least I think they are both bad. When I use the remote to open the trunk, it only pops up maybe a half-inch. Is the trunk supposed to open all the way when I open it remotely with the key fob or the release under the dash?

I know that my 2002 LS-430 does the same thing. I'm not sure, but I don't think the trunk is designed to pop all the way open, but I have wondered about the condition of my struts too, since the trunk lid seems awfully heavy to lift open.

• 2 weeks later...

Stardate 11-26-07

If it's not too late for you, Pep Boys has a sale going, by one get one free, they're $15 up to around $25 each.

Made by Sachs Stabilus

Whit

Yeah I dont think new shocks will do much. I think the way the trunk is designed it is too top heavy for the shocks to be able to lift it. I know on my BMW I could retro a hydrulic system but its very $$ and requires coding.

Do they do the job halfway up? When I got new ones for my BMW they would push the trunk open and hold it open at about 6" from close. That was nice to have when you have groceries or something you cant set down.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the answer here? Is it supposed to rise when you open it?

I have a 2004 LS 430, and the trunk when released just sits there. The trunk does seem to stay open, but I'm kind of surprised that the Lexus folks wouldn't have made it auto-open (self-closing doors to wit)...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a used 03 lS430 trunk for my car, ( I have a 2001 LS430 UL), I am gonna post the OEM trunk support, plus many other items from the trunk on ebay, i will keep you posted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This company was the perfect match for my hood supports on my 96 LS400, lift supports bolted right on, no modifications like many other posts mention, the hood opens up all the way, again a problem with other replacements (to short... hood misses last few inches of opening). They were $45.00 for the pair including shipping, took ten minutes (in 22 degree weather) to install. My hood actually lifts open by itself when I open it about the first 1/3 of the way up, and when I bring it down again, I can let it go about 1 1/2 feet above latch and it drops in place perfectly! The supports measured out to exactly the same length (20.46 inches extended) as OEM and the quality is excellent. Made by Strongarm. Seriously great company offering a complete list of replacements. If they are as good as what I got for my 1996 LS400 hood lifts supports, I bet they are good for what you need! Just go to the site and enter year/make/model etc... it offers measurements, and they matched mine OEM perfectly. Any way, do not mean to rave on, but this company was awesome for me, and saved me mega $$$$ vs. $98 a piece from LEXUS!!!.

LiftSupportsDepot.com

hood shocks are easy as hell to find , trunk ones are another story all together.

OK GUYS, I FOUND THEM!! Just got trunk struts for my 2002 LS 430 in the mail from FIGS Engineering in Golden, Colorado. Cost $80 for the set. Put them on in 10 minutes...a child could do it. They work great.

http://www.figsprops.com

(strangely, I just tried their website and it's offline today! Hope it's just a temporary glitch...will keep checking)

I just ordered a pair of trunk lift struts for my 2002 LS430 from a place called Parts Avenue on eBay. They cost $75 plus $5.90 shipping plus NYS tax. They claim a lifetime warranty to boot! I'll post again after installation. Another outfit out of California was selling a similar item for $80 plus $7.50 shipping. My dealer wanted $126 EACH plust tax. Lexus Parts Online wants $100 each plus shipping. We'll see.

:)

• 11 months later...

you can go to www.partsavenue.us it is cheaper than the price you mentioned. I also found a discount code that that site offers: 190602

I know that my 2002 LS-430 does the same thing. I'm not sure, but I don't think the trunk is designed to pop all the way open, but I have wondered about the condition of my struts too, since the trunk lid seems awfully heavy to lift open.

you can go to www.partsavenue.us it is cheaper than the price you mentioned. I also found a discount code that that site offers: 190602

• 1 year later...

I just had to order a set. Does anyone have installation instructions?

I had my struts replaced a couple of years ago on my 2001 LS and it does not open all the way when released.

• 2 months later...

So what's the answer here? Is it supposed to rise when you open it?

I have a 2004 LS 430, and the trunk when released just sits there. The trunk does seem to stay open, but I'm kind of surprised that the Lexus folks wouldn't have made it auto-open (self-closing doors to wit)...

The trunk is only supposed to pop open when you hit the latch release, not swing all the way up.