Tilt And Telescope Wheel Not Restracting

userflw

I have a 2001 LS430 with a tilt and telescope steering wheel that intermittantly does not retract when the ignition is turned off. This happens with no failure pattern.

The dealer and Lexus field reps (3 have looked at the car) do not know what is the cause. The ignition switch has been replaced twice, the motors in the steering column have been replaced twice and the solenoid behind the ignition switch has been replaced once.

The problem is still there!

Does anyone have an idea besides replcaing the entire steering wheel assembly and controls?

Thanks,

Fred

Hi. I seem to remember reading a thread on this forum about this problem before. If it's the same thing, the problem is down to an electrical connector in the guts of the steering column that connects to a position sensor on the column. The problem is that the wiring as it exits the loom to go to the connector is a bit short, which results in the connector being pulled out of its receptacle a bit, resulting in intermittent tilting of the column. There's an article somewhere on how to fix it up. Basically, you just (carefully) cut away a bit of the loom tape to allow a bit more slack and take the tension off the connector. Search the forum (keywords: tilt, steering column?) and you'll (hopefully) find the thread.

Hi. I seem to remember reading a thread on this forum about this problem before. If it's the same thing, the problem is down to an electrical connector in the guts of the steering column that connects to a position sensor on the column. The problem is that the wiring as it exits the loom to go to the connector is a bit short, which results in the connector being pulled out of its receptacle a bit, resulting in intermittent tilting of the column. There's an article somewhere on how to fix it up. Basically, you just (carefully) cut away a bit of the loom tape to allow a bit more slack and take the tension off the connector. Search the forum (keywords: tilt, steering column?) and you'll (hopefully) find the thread.

Thanks for quick response; I will refer this to the dealer!