Seat Belt Alarm Needs To Be Nuked

Hello-

I was hoping someone had info regarding shutting the seat belt chime audible warning off. I do not drive without the seat belt, but I do take it off sometimes when I am coming in the driveway and also sometimes I wait to get to the mailbox before fastening it. The alarm is truly abnoxious. Perhaps as simple as removing a fuse? I am sure the dealer would have nothing to do with this, so I haven't even wasted the oxygen.

Appreciate anyone with advice.

This is lifted from the Toyota Nation Avalon Forum, I don't know if it may or may not work on the GS, posted by Preskev

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthre...7377&page=3

******FOUND THE SOLUTION TO DISABLE THE SEAT BELT CHIME*****************

Well, no wiring mod is required. Here is the procedure:

1. Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO trip.

2. Press and hold the TRIP meter reset knob for ten seconds or more within six seconds of turning the ignition switch to the ON position. Fastening the driver's seat belt while holding the knob cancels the buzzer reminder. (You may have to hit the reset meter knob to cycle through b-ON to b-OFF)

3. When this occurs, the LCD displays "b-OFF". The buzzer reminder can be switched between ON and OFF each time the TRIP meter knob is pressed. The LCD displays "b-ON" or "b-OFF" according to the buzzer reminder ON/OFF status. The display changes to the ODO or trip meter if the knob is not pressed in 10 seconds.

4) Performing steps 1) and 2) again when the buzzer reminder is off exits cancel mode.

I was able to disable the seat buzzer and took a drive. IT WORKs! I am so relieved.

• 3 months later...
Clearly referring to a different vehicle. My tripometer reset is on the touch-screen and holding it seems no different from simply touching it for short period of time.

Turn Off Seat Belt Buzzers:

(a) Driver and front passenger side seat belt buzzers

(1) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

(2) Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO".

(3) Turn the ignition switch off.

(4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

(5) Press the ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

(6) Continue holding down the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the driver side seat belt.

(7) Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-oFF".

(8) Press the ODO/TRIP switch to change the display to "b-oFF".

(9) Turn the ignition switch off.

(10)Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

(11)Check that no buzzer sounds.

( B) Front passenger side seat belt buzzer

(5) Sit in the front passenger seat. Press the ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

(6) Sit in the front passenger seat. Continue holding down the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger side seat belt.

:D

Are you sure we are taliking the same switch? This 5 or 6 step procedure worked on my GS450 w/ Nav and is lifted right out of the Lexus manual. There should be an odometer reset in the door to the left of the steering column.

Clearly referring to a different vehicle. My tripometer reset is on the touch-screen and holding it seems no different from simply touching it for short period of time.

Worked great-- thank you so much-- that was horribly annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I am surprised that Lexus would make it so easy to overcome the seatbelt warning chime in such a litigious country as the US!

On VAG cars, you need to use computer software and an obdII cable to disable the seatbelt warning chimes.

Worked nicely for me. Thanks! :D :D :D

(5) Press the ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

(6) Continue holding down the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the driver side seat belt.

(5) Sit in the front passenger seat. Press the ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

(6) Sit in the front passenger seat. Continue holding down the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger side seat belt.

• 11 months later...

Re: 2008 GS 350 AWD

Pressing the ODO/TRIP button (located on the drop-out panel left of the steering wheel) (after pressing the ignition button twice to get dash power) within 6 seconds does not prompt a ODO display for me. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Worked nicely for me. Thanks! :D :D :D

• 6 months later...
Didn't work for me!

By "turning ignition switch to ON"... do you mean pressing just one or twice on the start button. Cause my ignotion switch is a start button.

pressing the start stop button once gets you to the ACC position.

pressing is a second time gets you to the ON position. (you will know the ON position because all the idiot lights are lit.)

Oh wow.. tried it one last time and it worked!! Thanks guys

Good to hear. I was going to suggest trying it one more time, but didn't want to sound like a jerk.

I left work again today and put on the belt after driving out of the parking garage, but before pulling onto the street. I didn't even notice until I went to put it on that the buzzer wasn't going off. By tomorrow, I probably won't give it a second thought.

Nevertheless, after two months, I am still seriously enjoying my Lexus. I hope it takes quite a while before driving it becomes "business as usual". :P

Question:

Do i need to have both passenger & driver sitting if I wanna do the passenger side as well?

Tried to do the passenger side and it wont work. Tried sitting the pasenger seat and doing it ( what a stetch ) and sill nothing.

• 7 months later...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I tried this on my RX400h and it worked - I have been so unbelievably annoyed at this for months and at the arrogance of Lexus to assume they know better than the consumer.

I am a real estate agent and I often have user files or a laptop bag that I place in the passenger seat. When I pull up to the next showing, I pull out a file or tow - it needs to be on the seat where I can reach it. However, even with this small amount of weight, one bump on the road and the car thinks there is a child passenger and the god damn alarm goes off. Sure, I could clip the passenger seat belt, but that is just as annoying and impractical when you alternately have passengers. I asked my service rep at Kearny Mesa Lexus how to disable this and he wouldn't help me. Some crap about company policy erring on the side of safety for product liability.

How about the liability when I get in a firey crash while I am reaching over trying to attach the F&^%#$ passenger seat belt while driving on the freeway in order to turn off that god damn alarm??

Whew, ok I feel better now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-

I was hoping someone had info regarding shutting the seat belt chime audible warning off. I do not drive without the seat belt, but I do take it off sometimes when I am coming in the driveway and also sometimes I wait to get to the mailbox before fastening it. The alarm is truly abnoxious. Perhaps as simple as removing a fuse? I am sure the dealer would have nothing to do with this, so I haven't even wasted the oxygen.

Appreciate anyone with advice.

There is a great solution for you! Get on the net and type in "seat belt alarm stop". You will love this one! Lou

Question:

Do i need to have both passenger & driver sitting if I wanna do the passenger side as well?

Tried to do the passenger side and it wont work. Tried sitting the pasenger seat and doing it ( what a stetch ) and sill nothing.

To shut off the seatbelt alarm there is a fabulour product out now. Get on line and type in " seat belt alarm stop". It's affordable and will stop or restart your alarm in seconds when you want it to. Lou

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I tried this on my RX400h and it worked - I have been so unbelievably annoyed at this for months and at the arrogance of Lexus to assume they know better than the consumer.

I am a real estate agent and I often have user files or a laptop bag that I place in the passenger seat. When I pull up to the next showing, I pull out a file or tow - it needs to be on the seat where I can reach it. However, even with this small amount of weight, one bump on the road and the car thinks there is a child passenger and the god damn alarm goes off. Sure, I could clip the passenger seat belt, but that is just as annoying and impractical when you alternately have passengers. I asked my service rep at Kearny Mesa Lexus how to disable this and he wouldn't help me. Some crap about company policy erring on the side of safety for product liability.

How about the liability when I get in a firey crash while I am reaching over trying to attach the F&^%#$ passenger seat belt while driving on the freeway in order to turn off that god damn alarm??

Whew, ok I feel better now.

OK, I'm glad you vented and have that off your chest! Please consider this solution:

There are times we need to wear seatbelts. There are times when we are on private property or on a dirt road which doesn't require a seat belt. Get on the net and type in "seat belt alarm stop" You will love this! Lou

Thanks much for this. While I always wear my seat belt, I often don't put it on immediately but wait until I'm *settled in*. That buzzer was extremely annoying. Turning it off has actually increased my enjoyment of the car.

FYI Get on the net and type in "seat belt alarm stop" Lou