14 replies to this topic

#1 theoldpaths

theoldpaths

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Model: LS400

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:33 AM

My 1990 LS400 is in great shape, but the gray leather seats, front and back, are starting to show some cracking. Is there a product that will "fill" the fine white cracks with a gray color to hide them?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 ROBERT THOMASON

ROBERT THOMASON

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Model: 00 LS400

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

Not sure if these guys or someone similar are in your area but they do leather restoration. If you do a search in this forum I have saw the whole process talked about and shown with the correct products.

http://www.myinterio...om/services.htm

#3 DobieG

DobieG

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Model: 2001 LS430, 1999 ES300 Coach

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

I swear by the Lexol product line. I bought mine at Pep Boys. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. I use it about every 6 months and the leather in both of the Lexus' looks brand new!

#4 ROBERT THOMASON

ROBERT THOMASON

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Model: 00 LS400

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

I swear by the Lexol product line. I bought mine at Pep Boys. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. I use it about every 6 months and the leather in both of the Lexus' looks brand new!

Lexol has great products but it want fix craked leather.

#5 theoldpaths

theoldpaths

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

ROBERT,
Yea that's what I'm looking for, "filling/hiding" the cracks. If the white in the cracks could be colored somehow it would help hide the cracks I am hoping.

Lexol has great products but it want fix craked leather.

#6 JIBBBY

JIBBBY

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • Model: 1992 SC400 MODIFIED/NOS

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

You can't restore CRACKED leather, you can make it look a little better with these leather products but that's it... Ebay for leather new covers is what I did, then went to an uphostery shop and had them installed...$600 for the new leather covers and $300 to install.. New interior....Vallla...

Attached Files

#7 2JZTWIN TURBO

2JZTWIN TURBO

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Model: ES300

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

If the cracks are not through the leather you can try dye. It can darken the lighter cracked areas. It may be difficult to find a perfect match though. If the cracks go through the cover, I'd say you'll have to buy new covers.

#8 JIBBBY

JIBBBY

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • Model: 1992 SC400 MODIFIED/NOS

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:17 PM

Dye will work for a while but eventually fade and fade onto your clothes... I've tried the dye method before and it a temporary solution...

#9 theoldpaths

theoldpaths

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. The cracks don't go all the way through, they are just on the surface. What kind of dye would I use?

If the cracks are not through the leather you can try dye. It can darken the lighter cracked areas. It may be difficult to find a perfect match though. If the cracks go through the cover, I'd say you'll have to buy new covers.

#10 2JZTWIN TURBO

2JZTWIN TURBO

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Model: ES300

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

There is a product called Marhide that should work well.

#11 pishta

pishta

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Model: '92 LS400

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

This is the stuff/procedure that I would recommend. It is a filler and a dye. Cracked leather will not dye uniformly, you need to fill in the cracks with an elastic filler and then dye area or entire panel for a uniform look. I saw another product on Ebay that was US sourced and was specific to the Lexus LS400 gray interior that I have, but I cant find it anymore. Same type of stuff, a filler and a dye, sealer. Ebay item 140166319788

#12 theoldpaths

theoldpaths

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

This is the stuff/procedure that I would recommend. It is a filler and a dye. Cracked leather will not dye uniformly, you need to fill in the cracks with an elastic filler and then dye area or entire panel for a uniform look. I saw another product on Ebay that was US sourced and was specific to the Lexus LS400 gray interior that I have, but I cant find it anymore. Same type of stuff, a filler and a dye, sealer. Ebay item 140166319788

Thanks for the idea, I am going to try it.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

#13 pishta

pishta

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Model: '92 LS400

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

How about a few pics before and after and a review of the product. Ill do it if it works.

#14 theoldpaths

theoldpaths

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

How about a few pics before and after and a review of the product. Ill do it if it works.

You got it, I will post before and after pictures.

#15 JimsGX

JimsGX

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Model: 08-GX470, 08-ES350, 91-LS400

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

My 1990 LS400 is in great shape, but the gray leather seats, front and back, are starting to show some cracking. Is there a product that will "fill" the fine white cracks with a gray color to hide them?

Except for replacing the leather, you may be chasing your tail on this one. I have a similar problem from when I bought my 91 recently. The previous owner who purchased the car new had never conditioned the seats. The seats were hard, more like a 91 Mercedes than a 91 Lexus. Once I started conditioning them, the cracks started showing up. I think the only good remedy if you plan on keeping the car is to replace the leather... I found this company online. I think the total cost of materials is around $750 or so. They recommend professional install but you may be able to do it yourself.

Katzkin Leather Upholstery's

Jim

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have