Cabin Smell From Airducts

Hey all,

I have had this problem for about 3 dealer visits ( Last 15K miles ) I have an 06 IS250. Everytime i turn on the AC, i smell this foul MOLD (for those who don't know, smells like a OLD wet Rag). I use the AC often because I live in LA area, but 99 percent of the cheaper cars don't get this smell. Does anyone else have this problem? The dealer keeps spraying (OZIUM)? but it just seems to deodorizes the smell for a couple days and it comes back. They recommend I open the vent before I leave the car and still I have the problem. Any advice/ help appreciated. I have already changed the cabin filter 3 times without any success.

Albert

You need something that will clean the mildew off the evaporator coil that's located under the dash. The best stuff I've found is the cleaning system at the following link.

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=...e=coretreatment

I used this on my IS300 and it had no odor a year later. However, it's surprising that your car would have this mildew buildup so soon.

There's also a forum at their site where you can ask A/C questions and get advice.

http://www.autoacforum.com/

Barkat is right, I had the same problem with my 02 GS300. The smell was horrible. Although it did go away on its own after leaving my windows slightly down for a few nights (I think it helped some of the excess moisture dry out) I still have a friend use some type of cleaning product, probably the same stuff recommended in this thread. No problems since.

You need something that will clean the mildew off the evaporator coil that's located under the dash. The best stuff I've found is the cleaning system at the following link.

I used this on my IS300 and it had no odor a year later. However, it's surprising that your car would have this mildew buildup so soon.

There's also a forum at their site where you can ask A/C questions and get advice.

Ok, Ill look into it. It's actually getting really annoying.

Ok, Ill look into it. It's actually getting really annoying.

I really have no idea if this will work, but try turning your heat on full blast for a few minutes. Maybe that would help dry it out??? It's a quick solution to try, and won't cost you anything (other than a few drops of sweat) if it fails. You never know.

How do you use this stuff? Do you have to tap into the A/C lines or does in go into the vents?

How do you use this stuff? Do you have to tap into the A/C lines or does in go into the vents?

You tap into the air duct that carries air from the fan. Then you spray the stuff in with the A/C running and it foams up, cleans the evaporator, and comes out the condensate drain under the car. Then you just plug or tape over the little hole you made in the duct.

• 9 months later...

Did you guys try this? Did it work? I too have a terrible smell in my 07 IS 250 that I got 3 days ago. My brother in law had to leave the country suddently, I bought his car, can't talk to him to see how long the smell has been there but I suspect they will tell me they didn't ever smell it when I talk to them.

The smell does not smell like mold, it does not smell like rotten eggs or any of the other smells that were described here. It IS very annoying, it DOES give me a headache, it IS worse when the AC is on recirculate. I describe it as a chemically odor. It's as if you have your head in a jar of chemical. That is the only way I can describe.

So, let me know about what you all did and how the smell is now.

Thanks

Did you guys try this? Did it work? I too have a terrible smell in my 07 IS 250 that I got 3 days ago. My brother in law had to leave the country suddently, I bought his car, can't talk to him to see how long the smell has been there but I suspect they will tell me they didn't ever smell it when I talk to them.

The smell does not smell like mold, it does not smell like rotten eggs or any of the other smells that were described here. It IS very annoying, it DOES give me a headache, it IS worse when the AC is on recirculate. I describe it as a chemically odor. It's as if you have your head in a jar of chemical. That is the only way I can describe.

Thanks

I think your having a catalytic converter issue. I would take that in to the dealer as it's still under warrentee.

I located and changed the cabin filter that is located behind the glove box. This did little for the smell. Thanks for the info, I will go to the dealership for the cc check. Thanks so much!

Have a good weekend!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Seen (smelled this) a bunch in many cars. But on the Lexus we have a unique problem which is AUTO climate mode not only controlling the temperature but also the air source for the cabin (fresh air or recirculated air). As we all know, recirculated air gets much colder and therefore is desirable. In fact, Lexus has programmed your AC to spend most of its time recirculating air. *Unless you had it set not to default to this behavior by the dealer changing the "Lexus Personalized Settings" http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/IS_LPS.pdf But if you did, you are not likely to be having this issue. If you DO have them make this change, fresh or recirculated air is then not handled by the AUTO mode. It becomes a manual setting selected by pushing the dash selector button. (blah blah, read the manual)

Although the recirculated air is dryer and cooler when you are driving, the recirculate mode presents a problem as all vents to the outside are closed. Thus normal moisture from condensation is retained inside the AC system when the car is turned off. That is to say, the AC system remains in the state at which you leave it – sealed for the most part.

Mildew then sets up and creates your problem. Mold and mildew (the smell) we know to thrive in damp, cool, dark locations – as in basements. But we do not want it in the depths of our expensive sleds. We need to make it hard for mildew to continue doing business by providing a lot of fresh air to the system when driving and more importantly, when we shut off the car.

Here’s how:

1: Start by setting system to "fresh air" as much as possible while driving and for sure set it to fresh air 15-20 seconds before shutting down the car for the day or at night. (Open the VENT as you say???)

2: Cut a deal with service guys to change the AC LPS standard setting. (#15 in the above PDF)

3: During the day - and after step 1 - park in the sun with windows rolled up with no sun shields up and sunroof shade pushed back exposing as much glass as possible. (yes I see the posts about having the windows cracked, but more heat in the cabin will dry the system and fix this issue faster after doing step #1) ((Just trust me... or I can provide references from happy people who have followed these steps for resolving)) (((plus, its free!!!)))

Fresh (dry) air and heat will eventually take care of this if you do as I suggest. Likely it is too late to get the free LPF change by the dealer so just don’t hit the AUTO button if you wish not to pay them to make the change. That is to say, control the system manually via the climate screen and leaving it on FRESH air.

It may take several weeks to permanently clear up, but it will. I mostly see cars with this issue who are in home garages at night and covered parking during the day.

The above steps should also be used to PREVENT this problem. And this problem really does suck!

Thanks

my 2007 rx 350 has the same problem . we get headaches and nausea and it is a chemical smell.

we saw other people on this site with rx 330's were getting sick too. Lexus has done nothing to help us except try to clean off with brake fluid cleaner, not a bit of help and we have kids in the car getting sick too. very disappointed with lexus.

others on the site say it is cosmoline and it will burn off. but ours has not burned off in over 9,000 miles so we try to not drive the car and keep trying to get lexus to do something. i even purchased an extended warrenty for 7 years

we have another lexus and not a problem and had 2 toyota's before that.

hope someone can find out what to do to get lexus to step up to the plate for us. as a loyal customer. they should be doing more for us.

dcj

• 6 years later...

Browning v. Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc., 2012-0347/FTL (Fla. NMVAB February 15, 2013)

This Consumer complained of a foul odor emanating from the air conditioner in her 2012 Toyota Venza when the a/c was first turned on, and often times while the vehicle was being driven. The Consumer’s husband testified that an “unpleasant, obnoxious smell” started coming from the air conditioner vents about one month after they took delivery of the vehicle. The odor did not go away but started to get worse, and the hotter the ambient temperature, the longer the odor would last. When he entered the vehicle, he turned the air conditioner on, put the windows down, and held his breath while he blasted the air conditioner to blow some of the odor out of the vehicle. Nevertheless, sometimes the foul odor lasted 20 to 30 minutes into the drive. The Consumer testified she was the intended driver of the vehicle, but after the odor problem arose she started having allergy issues and she began driving her husband’s vehicle instead. She testified her allergy issues stopped with the change of vehicles. A service writer at one of the Manufacturer’s authorized service agents, told the Consumer nothing could be done and they would not even attempt a repair. The Manufacturer asserted the alleged nonconformity did not substantially impair the use, value or safety of the motor vehicle; and the alleged nonconformity was the direct result of “environmental conditions.” The Manufacturer’s representative testified he conducted the Manufacturer’s final repair attempt. He acknowledged that, when he turned on the air conditioner, he experienced an odor that was “not desirable.” When he drove the vehicle the odor began to dissipate. He explained that the evaporator in the air conditioning unit was warm, and when the air conditioner was turned on it blew cold air on the evaporator, causing condensation to build up in the unit. Therefore, when the vehicle was shut off, the air conditioner should be switched to outside air for the air to circulate in the unit and help dry out any water that has accumulated; otherwise, the accumulated water can start to smell. Following that practice will not eliminate any air conditioner odor, but it will lessen it, and, according to him, this problem was more prevalent in South Florida because of its wet environment and high humidity. The Board found that the foul odor emanating from the air conditioner substantially impaired the use and value of the vehicle, thereby constituting one or more nonconformities as defined by the statute and the applicable rule. Accordingly, the Consumer was awarded a refund.

I too had the "smell", so I took the advice of turning my air flow selector to outside air each time I left the car and it has eliminated the "smell" when I first enter the car. Great Tip!

Maybe that's the answer.

My 07 IS350 never has this problem.

Here's my practices (which might be preventing it):

1. Almost always you outside air mode. Rarely do the use recirculation mode, unless I'm behind some old pos diesel gross polluter 240D.

2. Sometimes I leave car in the garage for up to 2 weeks at a time without driving. I always leave moonroof in vent position when garaged.