22 replies to this topic

#16 SOMEONE ELSE'S GOT MY NAME

SOMEONE ELSE'S GOT MY NAME

High Fiber Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Model: '06 RX400h AWD

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

Actually, I think he as refering to other manufactures who produce vehicles with integrated NAV. And on this point, Lexus really messed.
Cheers,
MadloR

Somehow the thread got switched to the NAV topic ... I hate it when the OP hyjacks his own thread :P . Reading the 1st post and topic though, it was first about Lexus' cheezy VOICE commands pertaining to bluetooth dialing. Then it hopped over to NAV. Hopefully Lexus WILL get better ... with both the nav AND voice/ bluetooth interface.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 JMR

JMR

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Model: RX 400h

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

I figured out the missing link in setting up dialing by voice. Thank you for your posts.

I had not noticed the "Edit Contact Info" screen contains a page-down arrow which leads to the voice recognition button for recording voice tags. It is covered on page 133 of the navigation manual. I entered several, tested them, and all is well.

#18 zoeydanielle

zoeydanielle

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Model: RX 350

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

I figured out the missing link in setting up dialing by voice. Thank you for your posts.

I had not noticed the "Edit Contact Info" screen contains a page-down arrow which leads to the voice recognition button for recording voice tags. It is covered on page 133 of the navigation manual. I entered several, tested them, and all is well.

I too had the same issue on my RX350, and once I followed your lead, everything went fine. I suppose as a new member of this forum I don't have the right to pontificate, but I am very pleased with all aspects of the car. Yes, it isn't perfect, but what things make of plastic and steel are. Thank G-d for that! It just seems to me that we should be grateful that we are driving a $45000+ car and even higher for the 400H. Maybe Acura and BMW have better Nav systems, but why complain if you didn't your homework to begin with. My friend just bought an Acura MDX and it rides like a tank. My wife and I just took a 110 mile round trip in our new RX and it was like floating on a cloud. I test drove the Acura RDX and the MDX and neither my wife and I liked the ride. So, be happy you have a great car or trade it in.

#19 crabman

crabman

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Model: RX400

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:24 PM

The ball was dropped on the nav/bluetooth Zoeydanielle. A well intergrated system is a thing of beauty and expectations are higher amongst users who have experienced such a system. Unfortunately Lexus is behind the curve on this as more and more people are beyond being wowed by the mere existence of a nav system. Stating these facts does not necessarily signify an overall dissatisfaction with the car. If I want to call out in my car I simply push the button, say "call blah blah" and it works every time. On my wifes car (RX) its more miss than hit. It is also needlessly difficult to upload address books or manually enter phone numbers. Does that mean the car entire is junk? Nope. The nav system needs work though and hopefully Lexus will listen to its buyers and try and improve its functionality and ease of use.

#20 sledgehamr

sledgehamr

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Model: 2006 RX-400h

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

I took delivery of my 2007 RX 400h 1 week ago and love it. One thing I haven't been able to get working is the voice command to dial the phone. Every time I use it, the system comes back with an addition to the map. It's very strange.

Here's what I am doing:

1. Press the "Talk" button.
2. I say "Call Holly" or just "Holly" after the beep. I have "Holly" setup in my speed-dial. This happens with any name I use.
3. The system responds by saying ATMs, banks, or other map features have been added to the map. The phone is never dialed.

I asked my dealer about it. He suggested not saying "Call Holly". Instead, say just "Holly". No change. Dialing by pressing the speed-dial button works fine.

I did not see any phone-related commands in the posted command list, but phone commands appear to be supported when I say "help" to the voice system. Other voice commands work fine.

I have an LG/Verizon phone. The system says I have a successful Bluetooth connection.

Any ideas?

thanks, Jim.

#21 sledgehamr

sledgehamr

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Model: 2006 RX-400h

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

I took delivery of my 2007 RX 400h 1 week ago and love it. One thing I haven't been able to get working is the voice command to dial the phone. Every time I use it, the system comes back with an addition to the map. It's very strange.

Here's what I am doing:

1. Press the "Talk" button.
2. I say "Call Holly" or just "Holly" after the beep. I have "Holly" setup in my speed-dial. This happens with any name I use.
3. The system responds by saying ATMs, banks, or other map features have been added to the map. The phone is never dialed.

I asked my dealer about it. He suggested not saying "Call Holly". Instead, say just "Holly". No change. Dialing by pressing the speed-dial button works fine.

I did not see any phone-related commands in the posted command list, but phone commands appear to be supported when I say "help" to the voice system. Other voice commands work fine.

I have an LG/Verizon phone. The system says I have a successful Bluetooth connection.

Any ideas?

thanks, Jim.

I have a 2006 rx-400h, and my voice calling does the same thing. I talked with my dealer, and he said that it is a Verizon problem. (I happen to have a Verizon account). He said it only works with Cingular/ATT Bluetooth enabled phones. Ask yor dealer if that is the case on the 2007.

#22 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • First Name:James
  • Model: RX400h
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:25 AM

It works OK in our '08 400h. Although, it is a bit cumbersome. Hit the button, say dial by name, hit the button and say the name, hit the phone off hook button and it dials. The speakerphone works REALLY well, the best I've ever seen/heard in a car. It's also real clear on the other end.

#23 JMR

JMR

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Model: RX 400h

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

I've found that using "Dial by Name" and then just hitting one of the speed dials on the screen is much more efficient. The number is dialed right away. I have a pretty good hit rate for the 6 numbers entered on the first screen.

The voice menu system is much more cumbersome than necessary.

-Jim.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have