Ipod Connector Cable

sandiegomike

Thanks for the feedback. I had a follow-up question that your explanation brings to mind. When I sell/trade this car in the future and get another Lexus, will I be able to take this $200-$300 part with me or is it going to be a pain ($$) to remove it?

Thanks.

It will be just as much work to remove as it was to install and you will have to deal with the 1 1/8" hole drilled in the glove box. Also, unless you plan to sell the car in a year or so it will probably not be compatible with your newer Lexus. The life span of technology is quite short in these modern times. It is also possible that the iPod interface will be a standard feature on cars in the future.

Enjoy your new ride.

John

Thanks for the feedback. I had a follow-up question that your explanation brings to mind. When I sell/trade this car in the future and get another Lexus, will I be able to take this $200-$300 part with me or is it going to be a pain ($$) to remove it?

Thanks.

It will be just as much work to remove as it was to install and you will have to deal with the 1 1/8" hole drilled in the glove box. Also, unless you plan to sell the car in a year or so it will probably not be compatible with your newer Lexus. The life span of technology is quite short in these modern times. It is also possible that the iPod interface will be a standard feature on cars in the future.

Enjoy your new ride.

John

John - Good point on the lifespan of the technology. I just got the car and will have it at least 3-4 years so you're right. I would certainly hope this would be standard issue by then. Good luck with your new unit as well. Thanks!

Thanks.

Enjoy your new ride.

John

John - Good point on the lifespan of the technology. I just got the car and will have it at least 3-4 years so you're right. I would certainly hope this would be standard issue by then. Good luck with your new unit as well. Thanks!

By the way...a few new points on this iPod connector thing. First the total cost of the Toyota part (PT545-00082) and installation by my dealer is out of whack if you ask me. The want $595. My search of prices for the part indicate I can get it for as low as $219 (including shipping) on the net. I understand the dealer is looking to make a profit on the part but geeze. They inidicated the price is basically $300 for the part (MSRP is $249 by the way) and three hours labor is about $100/hr for a total of $595.

I checked with my Toyota dealer (I also own a Sequoia) and they indicated they would install for $200. So a little bargain shopping and labor shopping I think will pay off. To a point that SW03ES posted in another thread I don't think there's any issue with a Toyota (or another independent mechanic/shop like STS, etc.) doing maintenance or accessories installation. (anyone care to confirm that assumption?!)

Item two relates to this part's functionality. Through other research on the net I've seen people post is that this accessory is greater than sliced bread and others have posted it has limited functionality in terms of showing all the playlists or all the songs on the iPod. For example I think I read it will only show 100 songs on the iPod. Can anyone confirm?

For those of you who've installed this in your ES 350, please share some specifics about your experiences and what the NAV screen will show from your iPod, AND, please also tell us what kinds of things you can do from your steering wheel. I know I'm not the only one reading this thread who's interested in this functionality.

Thanks!

By the way...a few new points on this iPod connector thing. First the total cost of the Toyota part (PT545-00082) and installation by my dealer is out of whack if you ask me. The want $595. My search of prices for the part indicate I can get it for as low as $219 (including shipping) on the net. I understand the dealer is looking to make a profit on the part but geeze. They inidicated the price is basically $300 for the part (MSRP is $249 by the way) and three hours labor is about $100/hr for a total of $595.

I checked with my Toyota dealer (I also own a Sequoia) and they indicated they would install for $200. So a little bargain shopping and labor shopping I think will pay off. To a point that SW03ES posted in another thread I don't think there's any issue with a Toyota (or another independent mechanic/shop like STS, etc.) doing maintenance or accessories installation. (anyone care to confirm that assumption?!)

Item two relates to this part's functionality. Through other research on the net I've seen people post is that this accessory is greater than sliced bread and others have posted it has limited functionality in terms of showing all the playlists or all the songs on the iPod. For example I think I read it will only show 100 songs on the iPod. Can anyone confirm?

For those of you who've installed this in your ES 350, please share some specifics about your experiences and what the NAV screen will show from your iPod, AND, please also tell us what kinds of things you can do from your steering wheel. I know I'm not the only one reading this thread who's interested in this functionality.

Thanks!

I think the hours quoted for the install are probably reasonable, lots of dis-assembly and reassembly. I am sure you can find places that are much less than $100/hr. Since a scan tool is not required anyone can do the install. I plan doing my own install. You can purchase the Lexus unit for under $200 (without shipping), see

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...erryb@safro.com. That is where I got mine.

I can't tell you anything about operation as I have not installed it yet - maybe someone that has one installed can chime in here.

I think some of the non Lexus units may have more capability, I don't know for sure. I know some of them allow both an iPod and Satellite radio to be installed, the Lexus unit does not. This is not important to me, I have two GM vehicles with XM radios and I don't have them enabled. Way overpriced subscriptions and poor audio quality (very limited dynamic range), at least with the GM units.

John

I think the hours quoted for the install are probably reasonable, lots of dis-assembly and reassembly. I am sure you can find places that are much less than $100/hr. Since a scan tool is not required anyone can do the install. I plan doing my own install. You can purchase the Lexus unit for under $200 (without shipping), see

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...erryb@safro.com. That is where I got mine.

I can't tell you anything about operation as I have not installed it yet - maybe someone that has one installed can chime in here.

I think some of the non Lexus units may have more capability, I don't know for sure. I know some of them allow both an iPod and Satellite radio to be installed, the Lexus unit does not. This is not important to me, I have two GM vehicles with XM radios and I don't have them enabled. Way overpriced subscriptions and poor audio quality (very limited dynamic range), at least with the GM units.

John

John - Thanks again for the reply. I too don't care about the satellite hookup and is why I'm not interested in the other non-Toyota parts which provide the dual capability. I did find another site (ToyotaPartsCheap.com) that had the part for $196.80 (20% off MSRP) but I'll check with your guy to see if shipping is cheaper.

Before I do make a purchase I'm actually going to wait a bit as I haven't yet received the car (next week) and, to be honest, I'd like to wait and hear about your thoughts on its functionality once you've installed. Once you've received it and installed (when do you think that will be?) please come back and post your thoughts for everyone. Good luck and enjoy!

John - Thanks again for the reply. I too don't care about the satellite hookup and is why I'm not interested in the other non-Toyota parts which provide the dual capability. I did find another site (ToyotaPartsCheap.com) that had the part for $196.80 (20% off MSRP) but I'll check with your guy to see if shipping is cheaper.

Before I do make a purchase I'm actually going to wait a bit as I haven't yet received the car (next week) and, to be honest, I'd like to wait and hear about your thoughts on its functionality once you've installed. Once you've received it and installed (when do you think that will be?) please come back and post your thoughts for everyone. Good luck and enjoy!

The price you found is what I paid. I did find it a few dollars cheaper at a dealer in NC but bottom line price was higher when shipping and taxes were added.

The one I ordered arrived yesterday. I don't know when I will get to install it. I want to reserve the better part of a day just in case. It is going in my wife's car so it depends on both of our schedules (she does not like to drive the Silverado [way too big for her] and she does not drive my Corvette [she is afraid to scratch it]).

I just glanced at the owners manual and did not see anything about limitations on number of songs displayed, but that does not mean there are no limits. I don't think it will make a difference to my wife as she has a 8G device. I have a 60G that has about 4000 songs. We would only use mine if we used the car for a trip.

John

I installed the PT545-00082 today. It took about 3 hours, it would take me about 1 hour less if I had to do it again.

I used the ES350 install instructions available on TIS.

There is a section in the instructions that instructs you to remove the lower cover under the glove box. My car does not have this cover. I think it is part of the front passenger side knee airbag assembly on my car.

The instruction do not tell you to remove the two connectors on the glove box and the clip that retains the cable. This is necessary if you want to drill the hole in the glove box in your workshop. It was a lot easier to do at my workbench.

When I got to the section where the upper console trim is to be removed, I wasted some time. You cannot get the trim piece removed with the shift lever in park (unless you want to scratch something). I had to reconnect the battery so I could shift into Neutral with the Emergency Brake on and then disconnect the battery again. I did not want to use the emergency procedure described in the Owners Manual. The instructions should have included placing the car in Neutral before disconnecting the battery. The instructions do have you set the parking brake.

The remainder of the instructions were fine.

I have not used the unit much but I did test with our 2 iPods to make sure they worked.

I also verified that the steering wheel controls worked.

I did see the limit of 100 items mentioned in other posts, however, it does not limit you to 100 items. I have several hundred albums on my iPod and when I incremented from album 100 to 101 the display went from 100 to 001, however, it was actually displaying album 101. This happened at every 100th album.

The other limitation is the amount of text that can be displayed. This is not a limit of the ipod adapter, but the Multi-Display. This text limit may not exist it you have the NAV installed - I don't know.

Overall I am happy with the device and it will allow us to listen to music we like while on trips.

John

John, just for clarification, you do not have the NAV? How was reassembly? Did the parts just come back together without much tweaking, bending, forcing?

That is correct, I DO NOT have the NAV.

I purchased some plastic trim removal tools at Harbor Freight (believe it or not, none of the Auto Parts stores had these tools - they sent me to Harbor Freight).

The scary part was taking parts off, I was always waiting for something to break, but nothing did. I did follow all of the instructions including putting tape on the dash.

Reassembly was much easier, it probably took less than 15 minutes to put all of the parts back.

John

John, just for clarification, you do not have the NAV? How was reassembly? Did the parts just come back together without much tweaking, bending, forcing?

That is correct, I DO NOT have the NAV.

I purchased some plastic trim removal tools at Harbor Freight (believe it or not, none of the Auto Parts stores had these tools - they sent me to Harbor Freight).

The scary part was taking parts off, I was always waiting for something to break, but nothing did. I did follow all of the instructions including putting tape on the dash.

Reassembly was much easier, it probably took less than 15 minutes to put all of the parts back.

John

John - Thanks for the reply and personal emails. I just picked up my car today and have been using just the regular MP3 aux port hookup. Not good enough. I'm definitely going to order this part and have it installed at a local place that installs aftermarket stuff for a local Lexus dealer (there's no way I'm going to attempt what you did...but I am going to pass along your notes for them to follow. Great job!

• 3 months later...

For those of you connecting the ipod to the car with the simple cable, are you simply leaving the middle console open while using the ipod? I don't want to forcefully close the console, squeezing the cable, but I also don't like driving with the console open.

Thanks

Is there someplace on the internet that I can see what kind of a connecting cable it takes to link my iPod to my ES350 audio system? Barring that, I would just like to know what the connector plug name, type, and size is. Thanks.

Hi,

I just ordered one from E-Bay for 1.68 including shipping. Good Luck!!!

when i want to keep th ipod out i close it no issues...othertimes when i am on a consant playlist i just leave it in the console

PS i got one that was retractable off ebay last year for like 8 bux...

when i want to keep th ipod out i close it no issues...othertimes when i am on a consant playlist i just leave it in the console

You must have one skinny cord, because i really have to force the center console to close

You must have one skinny cord, because i really have to force the center console to close

The retractable ones are really thin, they have to fit in the thing that they retract into. The one I have is a regular one, like what you use for computer speakers (it's that cable that I am using). This cable does not have to be thick like a Mon$ter cable, it's overkill. It feels like a little bit of a force, but not too bad and no damage is done.

Is there someplace on the internet that I can see what kind of a connecting cable it takes to link my iPod to my ES350 audio system? Barring that, I would just like to know what the connector plug name, type, and size is. Thanks.

Hi all I just received the I-pod cable I had bought on e-bay for 1.68 including shipping and it works great :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try this website:

http://www.negsm.com/3stmatomahej.html

The output audio is 3.5mm located in the console. Connect one end of the cable to the headphone jack on the ipod and the other end to the output audio 3.5mm in the console.

IF you have the car adapter you can plug it in the cigarette lighter jack inside the console too.

You will need to switch the audio option from CD or radio to "aux".

• 2 weeks later...

Try this website:

http://www.negsm.com/3stmatomahej.html

The output audio is 3.5mm located in the console. Connect one end of the cable to the headphone jack on the ipod and the other end to the output audio 3.5mm in the console.

IF you have the car adapter you can plug it in the cigarette lighter jack inside the console too.

You will need to switch the audio option from CD or radio to "aux".

Hope this isn't a dumb question....I have an iPhone but it is a pain in the butt to put it in the console & connect it (for music) when I make several short trips. After each stop, I have to remove the phone and take it with me. So, I ordered an iPod Nano. Will I be able to use the same cable I now use for the iPhone, to charge the iPod and the other cable to play the music?

I'm disappointed with the FM reception in the ES, so I'm resorting to my own music. I miss XM that I had in my old vehicle (TL), but I hear XM/Sirus is going belly up (in about a year), so I don't want to invest in an XM radio.