Headlights: Automatic Shut-off Problem

So I have had my 2006 Gs300 for 2 yrs now (i got it in 05) and have had very few problems with it.

This one is mind-boggling. For the past 2 yrs when i park the car in my garage (with the headlights set on auto) they turn off automatically after a few minutes after i leave the car. But recently, they have been staying on sometimes! I have to go back and manually turn the switch to off. Any idea what might be causing this?

Please post, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

So I have had my 2006 Gs300 for 2 yrs now (i got it in 05) and have had very few problems with it.

This one is mind-boggling. For the past 2 yrs when i park the car in my garage (with the headlights set on auto) they turn off automatically after a few minutes after i leave the car. But recently, they have been staying on sometimes! I have to go back and manually turn the switch to off. Any idea what might be causing this?

Please post, thanks!

I have the same problem with my 07 GS350. Basically, the timing has to be just right. It has something to do with the lights coming on because the garage is somewhat dark (enough to activate the headlights even during the day). When I get into the garage quick enough to turn the car off as it is turning on the headlights, it forgets to turn them back off. I have not taken it in yet.

I think I have a solution.

The headlights only turn off once you have opened and closed the drivers door. If they're on and you shut the car off and stayed inside the lights would stay on. They also stay on if you have any door or the trunk open.

Are you shutting the car off before you open the door in those situations? If you open the door and then shut the car off (even within a split second) I bet it would leave the lights on since the driver never opened the door.

Check to make sure everything is closed too, if a door or the trunk is ajar the lights will stay on.

• 3 months later...

Please post, thanks!

me too...i been taking it to the dealer they change the lamps and i still have the same problem first the left headlight now its the right,they change the lamps now my day time running lights dont work when headlights r on....i called the lemon law they said i have a case its a defect.....so my case started already...lets see what happens..........i will keep everyone posted

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, I fixed this problem and recorded the entire process. You basically have to change out your HID Ds4 bulbs and not the ballast. This happened to me twice already, and both times I just installed new HID bulbs on my 2006 Lexus GS300 and the problem went away.

I recorded a video because I already made a whole collection on my car for routine maintenance items like brakes, resetting the maintenance required light, changing to a k&n air filter & installing an amp and subwoofer to the stock Lexus radio to name a few.

Here's a link to swapping out the HID bulbs procedure, which I admit was a bit of a pain in the !Removed!, that's why I went through the trouble of making it. If you have any questions, just post a comment on Youtube and I'll try to get back to you guys.

How to Repair Lexus Intermittent HID Headlight Problems