How Bad Did I Screw Up 1997 Ls400

pondfisher

I recently purchased a 1997 LS400 in great shape. I noticed that the coolant level was down about an inch. Not knowing better I poured a small amount of green Prestone Antifreeze into the reservoir to return the level to full. Is this a major issue where I need to drain the coolant from the car? I just read here on the forum I should have used the Toyota red antifreeze coolant.

I recently purchased a 1997 LS400 in great shape. I noticed that the coolant level was down about an inch. Not knowing better I poured a small amount of green Prestone Antifreeze into the reservoir to return the level to full. Is this a major issue where I need to drain the coolant from the car? I just read here on the forum I should have used the Toyota red antifreeze coolant.

You know, I did the same on my 1991 LS400. I don't think it will do any harm. The reservoir, from what I was told from a mechanic, is for the radiator overflow - meaning if there is too much water in the radiator, it dumps into the reservoir.

Next time, let the car cool down, open the radiator cap and add your antifreeze and water in. -Tony Lanz, Austin, TX

You know, I did the same on my 1991 LS400. I don't think it will do any harm. The reservoir, from what I was told from a mechanic, is for the radiator overflow - meaning if there is too much water in the radiator, it dumps into the reservoir.

Next time, let the car cool down, open the radiator cap and add your antifreeze and water in. -Tony Lanz, Austin, TX

Better yet, if you need to bring it up a bit, just add a pint or two of water.

Joe

Joe

Distilled Water

You didn't screw up at all. What you read on the forum from some people stating that you have to use the red Toyota coolant is complete and total bs. My factory repair manual and owner's manual says that the coolant only needs to be ethylene glycol type; never do they make any reference to a specific brand of coolant. The doom and gloom stories about what might happen if you don't use the Toyota coolant sound convincing, but I've got my own experiences that prove otherwise. I've had green coolant in my '95 for over 150k miles with no cooling issues at all.

Other than being certain it was not Toyota I have not a clue as to what brand anti-freeze I put in my 92 LS400 after running ten years and 100,000 miles on the factory original. Now at 165,000 and still going strong.

Joe

Distilled Water

You're thinking of a battery. No need for distilled water in a radiator. Unless you have REALLY hard water, I guess.

Joe

Joe

Distilled Water

You're thinking of a battery. No need for distilled water in a radiator. Unless you have REALLY hard water, I guess.

Joe

I believe Toyota/Lexus and other manufacturers recommend the use of distilled water in the radiator since water conditions can vary greatly. I know where I live, the water is very acidic. I wonder what the dealers do?

The 50/50 mix that Prestone sells uses demineralized water. I think I'd rather pay the $3 to $5 extra to fill it up with distilled water than chance it...

Jim

Jim,

I have looked around and do agree that distilled or de-ionized water is recommended.

In my 37 years of car ownership, I've never used distilled water, and never even considered it. I'm guessing it's probably about as important to use distilled water as it is to use only the red coolant in the Lexus.

Joe

Jim,

I have looked around and do agree that distilled or de-ionized water is recommended.

In my 37 years of car ownership, I've never used distilled water, and never even considered it. I'm guessing it's probably about as important to use distilled water as it is to use only the red coolant in the Lexus.

Joe

Distilled water has a higher boiling point (ie. the boiling point of water). The ions within tap water make it boil a little easier. Also, scaling will happen relatively easily in a car because of the increased temperatures (which cause the Magnesium and Calcium anions to percipitate).

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the Toyota Red/Toyota Pink/Prestone Orange do NOT MIX AT ALL with the Generic Green. That they cause some sort of gelling to occur?

Thats my two cents 8)

I agree with Jify and others that recommend distilled or demineralized water. MY 1994 LS400 Owners Manual specifies distilled water as do almost all cooling system experts. I am also a fan of using Toyota Red for the reason that Jify mentioned; specifically formulated for our engines. It is a bad practice to mix coolants and there are a LOT more ingredients in today's coolants than just Ethylene Glycol and water.

Our engines are all aluminum. My other Toyota (a 1997 Land Cruiser) has an aluminum head and cast iron block. These engines (the 1FZ-FE) are notorious for having serious cooling system problems created by mixing coolant formulations.

So to keep your system in good working condition you should do frequent cooling system flushes (at least every 2 years) and use a premium coolant and mixed 50/50 with distilled water. When you need to replenish the coolant, use only distilled water unless you have the same brand that you used when you did the flush.

-B-

we had a long discussion regarding "red vs green coolant" back in 2004:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6420

despite all coolant are ethylene glycol based, the main difference is the corrosion inhibitors added. regular green coolant use phosphate/silicates additives vs Toyota stock red coolant uses organic acid technology (OAT) additives. you really shouldn't mix them when topping off coolant because phosphate and OAT will cancel out with each other and leaves you no corrosion protection. you can change coolant between red and green after 100% flush, but you just don't mix them.