Not New Topic / Timing Belt Issue

R.Holmes

I was just curious but has anyone experienced and actual timing belt failure or breakage and at what mileage? I have a '98 ES300 with 135,000 and the timing belt has never been changed. The car runs very quiet, no pinging, no squeaks, no indication that the water pump is going bad. Had the belt inspected and compared to a new belt and only difference was the glaze on the used belt. Was told by a mechanic that if a belt broke, there would not be any damage to engine on my model. Does anyone know for sure ? All I have to do if mine broke, is to replace the belt and re-time it. Haven't talked to dealer because I am sure they would say is REPLACE it. I do not drive hard in my car and it has lasted this many miles with little or no major problems. Just the normal maintaince. Has only been back to the dealer 1 time since bought and that was for an oil change by the previous owner.

I was just curious but has anyone experienced and actual timing belt failure or breakage and at what mileage? I have a '98 ES300 with 135,000 and the timing belt has never been changed. The car runs very quiet, no pinging, no squeaks, no indication that the water pump is going bad. Had the belt inspected and compared to a new belt and only difference was the glaze on the used belt. Was told by a mechanic that if a belt broke, there would not be any damage to engine on my model. Does anyone know for sure ? All I have to do if mine broke, is to replace the belt and re-time it. Haven't talked to dealer because I am sure they would say is REPLACE it. I do not drive hard in my car and it has lasted this many miles with little or no major problems. Just the normal maintaince. Has only been back to the dealer 1 time since bought and that was for an oil change by the previous owner.

If it breaks, it will not hurt anything but a ride home. #2 is why have you not changed it? You own a lexus man and for $395 change the belt! The car is WAY over the mileage along with time duration. Also what other things have you not done since "it runs good"?

If it breaks, it will not hurt anything but a ride home. #2 is why have you not changed it? You own a lexus man and for $395 change the belt! The car is WAY over the mileage along with time duration. Also what other things have you not done since "it runs good"?

You insinuate that I do not take care of my Lexus?? I do all the maintainence on the vihicle. You asked what other things "I HAVEN'T" done? Haven't had to do much. Remember the old saying "If it is not broke, don't fix it" This has worked for me. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles, and air filter when needed,change the transmission fluid every 30,000, Major replacements or "fixes" replaced spark plugs, cleaned EGR valve, Cleaned IAC. "includeing the throttle assy. replaced struts, (Prematurelly) Changed brake pads when needed. and fix any other things that malfuction.Keep fluids at proper levels. Just drained and replaced coolant. Neighbor has a '97 Avalon with the same engine as mine.."Car has 200,000 miles with the same tilming belt and water pump" I was taugh at an early age to take care of my vihicles and they will take care of you. I will be 67 next month and all my cars have not "died" on me prematurely for lack of maintaince.

PS: I am planning on replaceing the belt but not at $600 to $1000 that mechanics and the dealer want. ($395 is a bargain) in California.

My 92 ES 300 has nearly 260,000 miles on the original timing belt. I only recently found this out as I had assumed that my BIL (original owner) had had it changed. He was religious with maintenance but the timing belt just wasn't done, for reasons unknown. I have a new timing belt and kit sitting unopened in my office. I have a mechanic who will do it for me.

In the meantine, there is no sign that it is in any way malfunctioning.

rosie