24 replies to this topic

#1 Shel

Shel

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model: gs350

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

I have a GS350 with manually folding side mirrors. The problem is that they don't unfold automatically when you start the car.

This created a dangerous situation when I parked in a tight spot and folded the mirrors. Then my wife started the car; drove off with the mirrors still folded and panicked when she notice the mirrors were folded. This is a dangerous situation.

I know the LS gives you options on how you want your mirrors handled but I think as a minimum Lexus should but out a service mod for other models to unfold the mirrors automatically when the car is in either forward or reverse gear.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SW03ES

SW03ES

Official LOC Detailaholic

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
  • Model: GS350 AWD Lux
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

Sorry, but your wife did something silly. You need to unfold the mirrors before you drive away, any failure to do that is the responsibility of the driver not the auto manufacturer.

Responsibility is key.

The premise that the car should be designed so that the driver doesn't have to participate in safe driving practices, such as ensuring the mirrors are properly adjusted, is preposterous.

For one thing automatically unfolding the mirrors when you have affirmatively folded them would make the folding fucntion useless. The purpose is so that you don't bump the mirrors on close objects while parking. What would be the point of having them unfold and bang into whatever you had folded them to avoid? Makes no sense.

#3 smooth1

smooth1

Resident Gearhead

• Super Moderator
  • 5,022 posts
  • First Name:Dennis
  • Model: 2008 IS 350 2002 IS 300T 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Sorry, but your wife did something silly. You need to unfold the mirrors before you drive away, any failure to do that is the responsibility of the driver not the auto manufacturer.

Responsibility is key.

The premise that the car should be designed so that the driver doesn't have to participate in safe driving practices, such as ensuring the mirrors are properly adjusted, is preposterous.

For one thing automatically unfolding the mirrors when you have affirmatively folded them would make the folding fucntion useless. The purpose is so that you don't bump the mirrors on close objects while parking. What would be the point of having them unfold and bang into whatever you had folded them to avoid? Makes no sense.

Yeah, what he said.

#4 Shel

Shel

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Responsibility is key.

Then why does the read window sunshade go down automatically when you go in reverse and go back up when you shift to forward? Why do we have stability control in cars. Surely we can all be responsible for not driving around curves too fast. The fact that Lexus allows us to fold the mirrors and create an unsafe condition if they are not unfolded makes the situation untenable. My wife didn't know what I did And I didn't know my wife would drive the car next.

You fold the mirrors to make passage easier such as in a garage or in a tight parking space not because you will have a collision. If you parked that close you couldn't open the door

#5 smooth1

smooth1

Resident Gearhead

• Super Moderator
  • 5,022 posts
  • Model: 2008 IS 350 2002 IS 300T 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

but how would the car know when it's ok to open the mirrors back out? Let's say you push a button and the mirrors fold in so you can get in that tight spot. You leave, now you come back and get in the car, start it and???? the mirrors automatically open now? bumping into what you closed the mirrors for in the first place? And what if it's to get by somebody elses mirror or a protruding object, or just a tight door way? When would the mirror be okay to open automatically? And by the way, from the scenario you put up on the first post, you should be glad that the car didn't open the mirrors automatically, because the wife never even checked and would have ripped them off backing out!

#6 option00002

option00002

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Model: SC400

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

I have a GS350 with manually folding side mirrors. The problem is that they don't unfold automatically when you start the car.

This created a dangerous situation when I parked in a tight spot and folded the mirrors. Then my wife started the car; drove off with the mirrors still folded and panicked when she notice the mirrors were folded. This is a dangerous situation.

I know the LS gives you options on how you want your mirrors handled but I think as a minimum Lexus should but out a service mod for other models to unfold the mirrors automatically when the car is in either forward or reverse gear.

Posted Image

Then why does the read window sunshade go down automatically when you go in reverse and go back up when you shift to forward? Why do we have stability control in cars. Surely we can all be responsible for not driving around curves too fast. The fact that Lexus allows us to fold the mirrors and create an unsafe condition if they are not unfolded makes the situation untenable. My wife didn't know what I did And I didn't know my wife would drive the car next.

You fold the mirrors to make passage easier such as in a garage or in a tight parking space not because you will have a collision. If you parked that close you couldn't open the door

Posted Image

Are you for serious?

Posted Image

Responsibility is key.

Posted Image

#7 Shel

Shel

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are you for serious?

Posted Image

Responsibility is key.

Posted Image

All I'm asking is the GS performs like the LS and the Mercedes which automatically unfold the mirrors when you start the car.
Saving the cost of a switch to differentiate between the LS and GS is foolish and possibly dangerous given the other neat features. If anyone has a DIY fix I would appreciate it.

#8 SKperformance

SKperformance

Official LOC Bad Speller

• Management Team
  • 12,489 posts
  • First Name:S
  • Model: 94-ES300 98-LS400 03-GS430

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

They only auto fold when the car is turned off , if the driver tells it to close then the driver has to tell it to open or it will also stay closed as it overrides the auto system.

#9 SW03ES

SW03ES

Official LOC Detailaholic

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
  • Model: GS350 AWD Lux
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Because the rear window shade won't smack anything when it goes down.

I'm sorry, but if your wife didn't notice the mirrors were folded when she drove the car and then "panicked" because they were folded she shouldn't be driving a car.

Cars have had folding mirrors for about 15 years now, somehow we've all survived.

All I'm asking is the GS performs like the LS and the Mercedes which automatically unfold the mirrors when you start the car.

Then buy an LS, but as SK said the LS operates the very same way.

I guess the solution to your dillemma is to not fold the mirrors in the first place. Maybe its best to take the bus?

#10 Rya

Rya

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Model: 2004 RX330

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

If anyone has a DIY fix I would appreciate it.

There is no "fix" like what you're asking for. Manual mirrors are manual, both to open & to close. Smooth1 made a good point that you don't want the mirrors opening up on their own if you deliberately closed them to get into a tight spot - the car doesn't know the difference. In either forward or reverse, you'll still knock a mirror off if the object you were moving around in the first place is still there. Lesson learned - check both mirros before moving.

#11 KnuckleBuckett

KnuckleBuckett

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Model: ES330

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

FGS!!

Get a life. You sould like one of the folks that think guns kill people not other people.

#12 Shel

Shel

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

FGS!!

Get a life. You sould like one of the folks that think guns kill people not other people.

I give up! I yelled at my wife and she is suing for divorce.

#13 amf1932

amf1932

Guru Member

• Super Moderator
  • 2,771 posts
  • First Name:Alan
  • Model: 2007 ES350 Ultra-Luxury Package
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

Now that's very funny. LOL

#14 Rya

Rya

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Model: 2004 RX330

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

Who gets the car? <_< (and welcome to the LOC!)

#15 smooth1

smooth1

Resident Gearhead

• Super Moderator
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, well atleast you have us. Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have