2007 Ls 460l Paint Chipping

I have a LS 460L with about 5,000 miles on it. I love the car except for one major problem The paint on the front end chips very easily. I already have 6 or 7 chips which is more than most of my previous cars had the entire time I owned them. My wife has a 2 year old Acura and it doesn't have a single chip. I called the dealership and they said that it is due to the front end shape that the new Lexus cars have and the way the air flows over them. They tried to sell me a $700 3M plastic film coating to prevent chips. It just seems strange to me that I should have to fork over $700 to prevent the paint from chipping on a car that I already paid what I feel like is a lot of cash for. If Lexus knows this is a problem then they should put the film on for free. Is anyone else experiencing this with any of the new Lexus cars? I read something that said the new paint is water based and this is why it chips so easily.

Well the ClearBra which they were trying to sell you is an aftermarket option. Many people wouldn't like it and that is why Lexus does not install it factory. I would really recommend you get it though, not only will it make you feel better because your car will be mint and really is worth a lot of money, but it will increase resale value when you end up selling the car in a couple years. Until then tho, just get some touch up paint and try to do it yourself and save some cash. I would also recommend not going through a Lexus dealer because they mark up the clearbras. try to find a, autobahn installer that is direct.

Well the ClearBra which they were trying to sell you is an aftermarket option. Many people wouldn't like it and that is why Lexus does not install it factory. I would really recommend you get it though, not only will it make you feel better because your car will be mint and really is worth a lot of money, but it will increase resale value when you end up selling the car in a couple years. Until then tho, just get some touch up paint and try to do it yourself and save some cash. I would also recommend not going through a Lexus dealer because they mark up the clearbras. try to find a, autobahn installer that is direct.

It is my understanding that this clear coating only covers like half the front of the car. My car is black and I am really concerned that you will be able to see the line where it stops. And, like I said before, it makes me mad that I even have to worry about this. Lexus should put a thicker coat of paint on the front end to prevent excessive chipping. This is not something you expect from a "luxury car".

Thicker paint would make it chip worse. The issue is the new low VOC car paints, actually the chip resistance has been improved.

I'd get the clear bra installed immediately. The edge will be visible from certain angles but the new ones are actually pretty hard to see. Its a choice, do you want to be constantly fighting chips or do you want to see a slight line where the product ends from some angles?

I have a LS 460L with about 5,000 miles on it. I love the car except for one major problem The paint on the front end chips very easily. I already have 6 or 7 chips which is more than most of my previous cars had the entire time I owned them. My wife has a 2 year old Acura and it doesn't have a single chip. I called the dealership and they said that it is due to the front end shape that the new Lexus cars have and the way the air flows over them. They tried to sell me a $700 3M plastic film coating to prevent chips. It just seems strange to me that I should have to fork over $700 to prevent the paint from chipping on a car that I already paid what I feel like is a lot of cash for. If Lexus knows this is a problem then they should put the film on for free. Is anyone else experiencing this with any of the new Lexus cars? I read something that said the new paint is water based and this is why it chips so easily.

Same problem here as well. After I picked up two small chips below my drivers side headlight, I spent a few hundred bucks to have the #M clear bra installed. $700 is retail but you should be able to find an outfit to do it for about half the price.

Thicker paint would make it chip worse. The issue is the new low VOC car paints, actually the chip resistance has been improved.

I'd get the clear bra installed immediately. The edge will be visible from certain angles but the new ones are actually pretty hard to see. Its a choice, do you want to be constantly fighting chips or do you want to see a slight line where the product ends from some angles?

Do you know if this is only a problem with Japanese cars? My friend drives a BMW and drives it hard. It is two years old. I told him about my frustrations regarding the Lexus paint and he told me that he has not had any problems like this with his car. I took a look at it and there isn't even one chip on the front end. This was kind of embarrassing after I have been giving him so much hell about how bad BMW's are with service.

The problem seems to be that the paint does not stick properly to the primer. All my chips don't appear to go all the way through to metal. At some point it seems like Lexus needs to figure out a way to use low VOC paint and actually make it work. Somehow Acura has figured it out with my wife's TL (2 years old and almost a third the cost of my car).

It shouldn't make any difference.

A lot of it has to do with the types of roads you drive on too. Do you, your friend, and your wife all drive on the same roads in the same proportion of city vs highway?

It shouldn't make any difference.

A lot of it has to do with the types of roads you drive on too. Do you, your friend, and your wife all drive on the same roads in the same proportion of city vs highway?

Yes, I would say that we have the same driving habits. I drive on the highway to work but work out of home 2 days out of the week. So, my car probably gets less use than theirs does. I also had a Volvo XC90 prior to my LS. It was 2 years old (as of this year) and did not have any chips on the front end. I drove it the same exact routes around town and to/from work. This is why this paint chipping problem is so frustrating to me.

For some reason, I don't know why, SUVs seem to have less chipping problems than cars. Must have something to do with aerodynamics.

Really the only thing you can do is have the clear bra installed. Shop around, the dealer may not be the best buy or do the best job. My next car will have the clear bra installed before it ever even leaves the lot.

The new s550 has a chiproof armour over the entire car. Amazing..and the car I drive and speak about is from South Florida. Lexus needs to catch up in that arena. No bull, just fact. We know where bras belong and I for one don't want one on my car even though she is pretty... :whistles:

By any chance do you frequently drive on I95? If so, that is the issue. All of those trucks hauling gravel create a horrible situation. I almost never go on the highway and not a single chip.

Yep, I drive on I-95. Call me crazy, but it is my feeling that you should be able to drive your car on the highway without problems like this. My wife drives on I95 with her Acura and hasn't had any problems. I would understand if I actually heard or saw a rock hit the front of the car but I get chips without ever hearing or seeing anything. From what I can tell, the new design of the LS causes any small spec to slam into the front of the car and this causes a chip. It doesn't take a big rock or piece of debris at all.

Oh well, I have vented enough. I guess I will break down and pay money for this clear bra. It still bugs me that I have to do this for a new car that cost me a good bit of money. You shouldn't have to modify a brand new car so soon after purchasing it. By the way, I agree with RFeldes on his comment about bras. You shouldn't have to put one on your car. haha.

The new s550 has a chiproof armour over the entire car. Amazing..and the car I drive and speak about is from South Florida. Lexus needs to catch up in that arena. No bull, just fact. We know where bras belong and I for one don't want one on my car even though she is pretty...:whistles:

Its not a "chiproof armor" its called Ceramiclear and its simply a harder clearcoat. It really doesn't do much to resist chipping, its designed to resist carwash scratching. Its is nonetheless very cool.

If it makes you feel better Delray, I saw a black LS460 with a clear bra today and I had to look twice before I noticed it.

The new s550 has a chiproof armour over the entire car. Amazing..and the car I drive and speak about is from South Florida. Lexus needs to catch up in that arena. No bull, just fact. We know where bras belong and I for one don't want one on my car even though she is pretty...:whistles:

Its not a "chiproof armor" its called Ceramiclear and its simply a harder clearcoat. It really doesn't do much to resist chipping, its designed to resist carwash scratching. Its is nonetheless very cool.

If it makes you feel better Delray, I saw a black LS460 with a clear bra today and I had to look twice before I noticed it.

I found a company in Boca Raton (Auto Super Shield) that has different options for the clear bra. One covers the entire hood (not just half), the front bumper and mirrors. So, there would be no line to see. It is going to cost a lot more but I think it is worth it.

One cool thing that I learned from Auto Super Shield is that it can be taken off down the road. I was told that a lot of people choose to remove it prior to trading their car in. The paint underneath is like new. At least there is an up side to this whole chipping problem.

Having 2 Lexus vehicles, I can attest to the front end chips as well as the bra issue. My 04 LS front

end is beat up pretty bad with chips I rcv'd over the past few years. My son's Acura front end looks

great and he drives highways more than I do. It is not an aerodynamic issue at all IMO. When I bought

my GS, I purchased a Colgan bra. These are custom designed and fitted for a specific vehicle. While it

did provide protection for the front end, it was often a pain to remove and replace everytime I wanted

to wash the car. I personally feel a bra has no place on a vehicle like the LS. If I decide to get a new

LS, I certainly am going to negotiate the clear front end cover into the deal.

Correct Steve...here is the info..but my friend has no chips and drives 95 everyday..We know the lexus paint is softer from past experiences.

http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=45

Yup the ceramiclear paint has nanoparticles in the clearcoat that bond during the curing process. I've seen it in the shows and on the road and it looks remarkable. There is also a 'liquid metal' finish that they are putting on special edition CL's that's amazing; i saw it at the MB booth at fashion week this year and it's really really cool.

It is my understanding that this clear coating only covers like half the front of the car. My car is black and I am really concerned that you will be able to see the line where it stops. And, like I said before, it makes me mad that I even have to worry about this. Lexus should put a thicker coat of paint on the front end to prevent excessive chipping. This is not something you expect from a "luxury car".

Having 2 Lexus vehicles, I can attest to the front end chips as well as the bra issue. My 04 LS front

end is beat up pretty bad with chips I rcv'd over the past few years. My son's Acura front end looks

great and he drives highways more than I do. It is not an aerodynamic issue at all IMO. When I bought

my GS, I purchased a Colgan bra. These are custom designed and fitted for a specific vehicle. While it

did provide protection for the front end, it was often a pain to remove and replace everytime I wanted

to wash the car. I personally feel a bra has no place on a vehicle like the LS. If I decide to get a new

LS, I certainly am going to negotiate the clear front end cover into the deal.

I have the LS460 the clear bra had to be put on 3 times before all the wrinkles were smoothed out- I have had my car since October- so it was the first one in my area to have the clear bra- finally got it right. Then I had a bubble like area on the front bumper not under ther clear bra- that the paint actully peeled. Dealer had to re-paint.

I agree that it has everything to do with where you drive. I had an Acura (04 TL) and the front end chipped like crazy. I had to have the bumper repainted twice, then I finally got a clear bra installed, which helped a lot. I didn't get the hood portion done, which eliminated the visible line (or the most visible of the lines). The front bumpers of these cars (especially the TL) has a lot of exposed paint. If you drive on a road/freeway that has a lot of trucks, particularly gravel trucks, then you really don't have a prayer at keeping your paint pristine, unless you get a clear bra.

I bought my current LS CPO, and there are already a few minor chips on the front bumper. I haven't really considered getting a clear bra installed, since those chips will be underneath, however after reading this post, I'm reconsidering... :)

I would get the dealer to install it for FREE>

Why in the world would they do that?

In Canada ALL LS models are covered in 3m clear bras from Lexus Canada in Toronto before being delivered to the dealerships. So even if it comes from Japan and arrives in Vancouver to be sold there . It still has to go to Toronto before being shipped back to Vancouver to be delivered finally.

Lexus know the paint is soft which is why it is mandatory to have a clear bra on all of them.

I know i will never have a car without it again but if i bought one new with so many issues of paint it would need to be addressed.

I would get the dealer to install it for FREE>

Why in the world would they do that?

In Canada ALL LS models are covered in 3m clear bras from Lexus Canada in Toronto before being delivered to the dealerships. So even if it comes from Japan and arrives in Vancouver to be sold there . It still has to go to Toronto before being shipped back to Vancouver to be delivered finally.

Lexus know the paint is soft which is why it is mandatory to have a clear bra on all of them.

I know i will never have a car without it again but if i bought one new with so many issues of paint it would need to be addressed.

Do you think it makes sense to add the clear bra even if there are a few rock chips already on the paint? It's by no means horrible, but it would help prevent any more...