Broken Key

neumannu47

The plastic cover on one of my master keys is broken. Research seems to suggest that trying to replace the plastic only is not a good idea since the key blank is molded into the cover. Trying to glue the blank produces less than desirable results. It appears that the most inexpensive solution is to purchase a new key blank with plastics only (no electronics) and transfer the electronics to the new key. The key has to be cut, though, and a special cutter is required. Can someone personally recommend a mailorder service (or one in Raleigh/Durham NC) that can cut the key? There are plenty of people on eBay, but you never know what you are going to get there. Thanks.

The plastic cover on one of my master keys is broken. Research seems to suggest that trying to replace the plastic only is not a good idea since the key blank is molded into the cover. Trying to glue the blank produces less than desirable results. It appears that the most inexpensive solution is to purchase a new key blank with plastics only (no electronics) and transfer the electronics to the new key. The key has to be cut, though, and a special cutter is required. Can someone personally recommend a mailorder service (or one in Raleigh/Durham NC) that can cut the key? There are plenty of people on eBay, but you never know what you are going to get there. Thanks.

My key did the same thing. There is only one locksmith in my town who has the right equipment to cut these keys and he charges $35 to do it. I was looking at new blanks that cost about $30 on eBay so it was going to cost about $65 total for a new key. I just put the remote part on my keyring with a spare key and use it as a fob for now.

An eBay seller just sent me this link: http://www.autolocksmithfinder.com. There is a guy in my town who will sell me a blank for $5 and cut it for $35. That's still a ripoff, but it solves the problem. Maybe if you own a Lexus you should not complain about a $3 key costing $40.

• 9 years later...

Peace of mind is necessary for every individual and the person who owns a home should never ignore the maintenance of locks especially the main door lock because it makes the individuals living in a home safe. Give below are some cases in which a person should look for a licensed locksmith Kansas City working for a legitimate company for upgrading the safety.

1.JPG