Brake Problems

Is anyone else having issues with their brakes on the new IS350's? I have an '06 IS 350 with 17,850 miles on it and the brakes are squealing and screeching something terrible as well as a TOn of brake dust on the front brakes. It has been happening for about 3 or 4K miles now and the Lexus dealer tried to tell me that the brakes are "high-performance" and therefore they will squeal a little. it is not a little... A LOT! I have a friend who works in the service dept. at another dealer and he told me to go to the service department and tell them that the brake dust is excessive and that I saw on the internet that there is an issue with the brakes and they need to be changed. Any ideas? Any news that I can cite to them? Anyone help here?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the PDF file for the brake dust TSB.

http://my.is/forums/attachments/f126/10188...-l-br002-06.pdf

Bartkat you are the man.... I appreciate your help and am indebted to you. I will bring this with me to the dealer in case they give me some problems.

Can one of you to email me the pdf? I am having trouble getting off the website, and i have the same problem. Thanks!

Too bad I didn't see this information last week. I took my 2006 IS350 into the dealer (Lexus Carlsbad) on Friday for the 15,000 mile service and told them to check the brakes that they were making a lot of noise. They called me back later saying they were worn out and needed to be replaced. They also tried to tell me it was my driving habits that wore the brakes out early (which is not true because I drive the freeway every day to work). They said they wouldn't need to replace the rotors and could machine them down. The brake replacement cost me $367 which I thought was very expensive for front brake pads. I just wrote the dealer a letter and sent them a copy of the Technical Service Information Bulletin that was posted on this Forum. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...
Too bad I didn't see this information last week. I took my 2006 IS350 into the dealer (Lexus Carlsbad) on Friday for the 15,000 mile service and told them to check the brakes that they were making a lot of noise. They called me back later saying they were worn out and needed to be replaced. They also tried to tell me it was my driving habits that wore the brakes out early (which is not true because I drive the freeway every day to work). They said they wouldn't need to replace the rotors and could machine them down. The brake replacement cost me $367 which I thought was very expensive for front brake pads. I just wrote the dealer a letter and sent them a copy of the Technical Service Information Bulletin that was posted on this Forum. Stay tuned.

Sorry to here that. I just mentioned to my Dealer in the Houston area about the accessive dust and they simply replaced it, no questions asked. My car only had 1.2K miles on it though.

Sorry to here that. I just mentioned to my Dealer in the Houston area about the accessive dust and they simply replaced it, no questions asked. My car only had 1.2K miles on it though.

Edle,

Which dealer you think is best in the Housoton area? I just from to Houston recently and want to get service at the dealership instead of going here and there. Previously I've had some issues with a Lexus dealer servicemen where I thought they're incompetent.

Thanks for your help.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad that I didn't see these posts before I got the car. I love the car but not enough to replace brakes and tires every 8 months. I have 23k miles on my 2006 IS350 and the service guy told me I need to get new brakes and tires. I drive 25-30K miles a year and this is going to get expensive. Have you had to replace your tires yet? I was told that if I have good driving habits that I would only have to replace them every two years...what a joke.

I'm sad that I didn't see these posts before I got the car. I love the car but not enough to replace brakes and tires every 8 months. I have 23k miles on my 2006 IS350 and the service guy told me I need to get new brakes and tires. I drive 25-30K miles a year and this is going to get expensive. Have you had to replace your tires yet? I was told that if I have good driving habits that I would only have to replace them every two years...what a joke.

You can probably find tires that will last longer. Check with Tirerack or hit this and the other Lexus forums for recommendations. As for the brakes, I can't understand this. I have a Dodge Cummins 3500 that weighs 7500lbs, I'm going on 37k on the original brakes (and tires) and, based on others' experiences, the brakes are expected to last up to 75k. What is the deal with these Lexus brakes?

I just got my IS350 which is a CPO with 15k. I suppose I should find out if the brakes were replaced already.

Edle,

Which dealer you think is best in the Housoton area? I just from to Houston recently and want to get service at the dealership instead of going here and there. Previously I've had some issues with a Lexus dealer servicemen where I thought they're incompetent.

Thanks for your help.

J.

I am using Sterling McCall Lexus on the Southwest Freeway. I hear the other 2 dealerships hvae excellent service as well. I would think they need to be to compete with each other.