Engine Code Error P0037

Jennifer

Okay,

I hate to sound so negative because honestly i love my car. It is a blue 03 Lexus IS300. The only problem is that it has reached 60,000 miles and has decided to check out.

About 6 months ago I kept telling the techs at the Lexus Dealership that I smelled something funny whenever I would "get on" my car. Now I don't drive my car like speed racer but you have to admit there are days when you throw your car over into manual and ride out.

Well I noticed that when I would park it would smell like rotten eggs. I am no mechanic but that smell says to me - catalytic converter. I was told repeatedly that this was not the problem. Well now my engline light has come on...along with the TRAC light flashing. We ran a diagnostic and we got the code P0037 HO2Bank 1 Sen 2 Heater Circuit Low.

I was told this was a 02 sensor and that my catalytic converter was probably stopped up. Now I don't know if this is true because I have not drove two hours to get to my nearest Lexus dealer. Have any of you had this problem? Or does anyone have any diagrams that show where sensors are located?

Thanks!@

Jen

Okay,

I hate to sound so negative because honestly i love my car. It is a blue 03 Lexus IS300. The only problem is that it has reached 60,000 miles and has decided to check out.

About 6 months ago I kept telling the techs at the Lexus Dealership that I smelled something funny whenever I would "get on" my car. Now I don't drive my car like speed racer but you have to admit there are days when you throw your car over into manual and ride out.

Well I noticed that when I would park it would smell like rotten eggs. I am no mechanic but that smell says to me - catalytic converter. I was told repeatedly that this was not the problem. Well now my engline light has come on...along with the TRAC light flashing. We ran a diagnostic and we got the code P0037 HO2Bank 1 Sen 2 Heater Circuit Low.

I was told this was a 02 sensor and that my catalytic converter was probably stopped up. Now I don't know if this is true because I have not drove two hours to get to my nearest Lexus dealer. Have any of you had this problem? Or does anyone have any diagrams that show where sensors are located?

Thanks!@

Jen

***Update*** I went online last night and really started researching this problem. Well I found out there was a TSB released that addressed this particular problem. I guess they don't tell you about any problems unless you bring it up. Several annoyances I have had with the car were listed in the TSB. I called Lexus and they told me that they would check the code and fix the Heated Oxygen Sensor for free. I don't know if it mattered that I told him I found the service bulletin about it. If I hadn't of found this I just wonder how much I would have had to spend out of pocket to fix this. I suggest that everyone get a TSB for their particular Lexus.

Yeah, you have to stay on top of them. That's why I have found that being a part of this forum has been so helpful.

For technical service bulletins, I go,

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/Mainten...partner=edmunds

Just enter your info and they will tell you the latest. In fact your O2 sensor is the first bulletin listed.

:censored: Well I drove two hours today for the Lexus Dealership for them to inform me that my car is out of warranty so the TSB doesn't apply for this situation....even though I said there was a problem last year.

So now they want $200 for the sensor and installation. I was so pi**d. Then after that I was told they didn't have the part in stock. I told them that I would just have the Toyota delearship fix it in my hometown. What I am upset about is that when I brought up this problem before nothing was ever mentioned about a censor problem.

The only positive thing I can think of is that my car is not messed up but that the sensor is bad. I believe that if a TSB goes out then there is a potential problem. It may not necessitate a recall but I think if it happens on a car then they should fix it ....warranty or not. The guy argued with me and said that is wasn't a problem with every car and that is why it is on a TSB and not a recall. I told him that apparently it 'COULD' happen and it has happened. Just not in their time frame. A known problem is a known problem and should be fixed if the problem ever arrises.

If I had known you had to fix TSB issues before the end of the warranty I would have been all over it. Well maybe someone can learn from my dumb mistake and save some money. :(

Here is something you might try.

Call the dealership back and talk to the service tech. have him give you the number for Lexus customer service. See if you can talk to them directly and inform them of the issue you have with the dealer.( You told them a year ago about the problem, it was under warrentee then and now it has gone bad and the warrentee has expired and now the dealership won't help you out. In alot of cases Lexus has stepped in to have the dealer make arrangements for things like this to get taken care of. Lexus wants a happy customer.

The reason I said call the service tech and ask for the Lexus number is because they really don't want you calling Lexus. It makes them look bad. Most people don't even think of this as an option so they get away with alot. But remember, they are not Lexus, they are a dealer that sell's Lexus. Some of them are instructed to say they will call on your behalf to keep you from calling. It could be worth the try, if for no other reason than to help that dealership get the recognition they deserve. ;)

What the dealer said about sending TSB's isn't necessarily true. They send them out and list the range of VIN's that apply if all the cars don't have the problem. I think another dealer still might take care of it for you on good will. Tha above suggestion to call Lexus is also good.

:wacko: No, they didn't fix the door issue. The service advisor wanted $40 for them just to look the door. I walked out side and a mechanic told me it was the door actuator on the driver side. So I am just going to order one online and have the Toyota dealership here fix it for me. Apparently since my warranty has run out on my car I am no longer an important customer. $200 to fix the sensor (that there is TSB about) and probably $200 for the door lock.

I am just going to call the Lexus Dealership in Mobile and get a second opinion about the O2 sensor. I will post how that conversation turns out. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Damn nickle and dime!!! Sorry your havin a hard time with the petty stuff. Just keep asking to talk to the boss of the person your talking to. Eventually someone with the authority and customer service ethics will hear you.

• 7 months later...

Jen

I have a 2003 Lexus GS300 which has the exact same error code including the traction issue?? You referred to your search to TSB and locating a reference on their site to this problem, and that Lexus agreed to resolve this issue for free.

Could you please forward me the information from TSB, as well as give me more details on why Lexus resolved the problem for free.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Ronnieboy.

ronpeters@shaw.ca

Okay,

Thanks!@

Jen

Jen,

Not sure if you're a DIYer but I had almost the identical problem last week. Mine has 57K miles on it so the sensor supposedly was out of warrantee by 7K. I ordered the O2 Sensor from www.oxygensensors.com for $87 compared to the dealer that wanted over $200. It was an extremely simple repair. Follow Smooth1's suggestion with calling Lexus Customer care though first but know you still have an option. Your Sensor is the one "before" the catalytic converter. See attached Diagram.

Regards,

Ken

o2sensor_diagram.pdf

• 2 months later...
Jen,

Not sure if you're a DIYer but I had almost the identical problem last week. Mine has 57K miles on it so the sensor supposedly was out of warrantee by 7K. I ordered the O2 Sensor from www.oxygensensors.com for $87 compared to the dealer that wanted over $200. It was an extremely simple repair. Follow Smooth1's suggestion with calling Lexus Customer care though first but know you still have an option. Your Sensor is the one "before" the catalytic converter. See attached Diagram.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks so much for the pdf and information. It just amazes me how so many people seem to have this problem.

Damn nickle and dime!!! Sorry your havin a hard time with the petty stuff. Just keep asking to talk to the boss of the person your talking to. Eventually someone with the authority and customer service ethics will hear you.

LOL! The guy I was talking to just apparently had started working there. It just happens to be his "daddys" dealership.