Shift Solenoid "c" Trans Problem

jif

'98 LS400 with 120K miles. Check engine light is on with a P0763 code, "Shift Solenoid C." I took it to the dealer and they basically suggested I buy a new trans. The shift solenoid is $190, new tranny $3,500+ ... Dealer said the trans oil looks clean, and I've changed it approx every 40K miles since I've owned the car. Its having a hard time shifting in between higher gears, and takes longer than usual to shift down when I press the gas. Would it make sense to replace the shift solenoid, or is my transmission on its way out?

'98 LS400 with 120K miles. Check engine light is on with a P0763 code, "Shift Solenoid C." I took it to the dealer and they basically suggested I buy a new trans. The shift solenoid is $190, new tranny $3,500+ ... Dealer said the trans oil looks clean, and I've changed it approx every 40K miles since I've owned the car. Its having a hard time shifting in between higher gears, and takes longer than usual to shift down when I press the gas. Would it make sense to replace the shift solenoid, or is my transmission on its way out?

I am currently facing a similar dilema. My 97 is having trouble engaging into 1st gear after a day or two of unuse. I can either replace 1st shift solenoid or the entire tranny. Now, I do not go to dealers ever because they rip you off. I am currently contemplating buying a used JDM transmission with about 35K miles for $800 shipped. Installation should cost around $200 - it is an easy job, no different than on a RWD ford or chevy.

I got some good advice to just replace the solenoid, but my tranny has about 180K miles on it and it does burn fluid more than normal.

I think that if your tranny does not burn fluid, you should just take it to an independant mechanic that you trust and have him replace the solenoid. The job will prolly cost you $250-300 and if it fixes your issue, you are on top. If not, you can opt for a used JDM tranny and still spend 1/3 of what the dealer wants.

If you ask the same dealer to try to fix the solenoid, they may tell you a story that will cause you to buy a rebuilt tranny from them. And they do sell rebuilt only for $3500. There are no new transmissions or engines out there - only rebuilds.

thank you for the reply. I had minor service done at the dealer and they mentioned that aside from the shift solenoid, my oil looks great for 120K and there seem to be no other problems with it. Yet they were still trying to sell me a 3500 rebuild. I'll take a shot at having the shift solenoid replaced by an independent mechanic. Lexus said that the shift solenoid "C" is $190. Would I need to purchase any other parts in conjunction with the C solenoid? Also, I'm assuming the transmission has to come off the car in order for the solenoid to be replaced.. is this correct? My current mileage is 120K

thank you for the reply. I had minor service done at the dealer and they mentioned that aside from the shift solenoid, my oil looks great for 120K and there seem to be no other problems with it. Yet they were still trying to sell me a 3500 rebuild. I'll take a shot at having the shift solenoid replaced by an independent mechanic. Lexus said that the shift solenoid "C" is $190. Would I need to purchase any other parts in conjunction with the C solenoid? Also, I'm assuming the transmission has to come off the car in order for the solenoid to be replaced.. is this correct? My current mileage is 120K

I am no expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that the transmission does not have to come off.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the pan, then the valve body and the solenoid is under that.

I don't think that there will be a need for other parts, except maybe some silicone to reinstall theh pan.

This should be an easy job for a mechanic.

thank you rice, dcfish. Last question before I have the solenoid replaced: After the pan comes off, assuming everything is fixed..would this mean I'll have to refill the trans fluid? If yes how many quarts am I looking at bc I'll just head out and buy a case or so from toyota dealer.

thank you rice, dcfish. Last question before I have the solenoid replaced: After the pan comes off, assuming everything is fixed..would this mean I'll have to refill the trans fluid? If yes how many quarts am I looking at bc I'll just head out and buy a case or so from toyota dealer.

2 qts. if my memory serves me , Buy the case it's less expensive.

Where's my beer ? :(

• 1 year later...

One part of my repair manual says that the valve body needs to come out to get to the solenoid #3, and the other part (where they discuss P0763) says to just drop the pan. Anyone know what's involved? I had this CEL come and go several months ago, and now, if I try to turn it off with my scanner, it comes back on 1/2 second later...I'm "missing" some gears too.

Park Place gave me this part number for Shift solenoid #3: 35230-30010

Hi All;

I've been searching the forums and this is the clsoest I've gotten. I apologize if this is not the right way to go about this, please let me know if you have any suggestions, I'm not sure where to start...

Here is my problem: I have a 98 LS400, 145,000 mls...I've had it for a few years and put about 35,000 mls on it...from the day I got it it has had only one problem...when it is cold ( I first start it) when it goes to shift (around 20-30mph i think) it will make a rumbling noise and it seems like it delays (rumbles for a few seconds) before it shifts. I also hear a similar rumbling noise when driving down the interstate around 60 mph but if i speed up it goes away (it shifts i think). I'm not real car savvy and was wondering if my issue could be the same one you mention here? I'm nervous that I may have tranny issues because I couldn't afford much right now.... and I LOVE this car...does this problem sound familiar or do you have any suggestions of where I should start for help? For the last year I have just made sure I let my car run and warm up for a few minutes beofer driving...I've aslo been told it may be related to the torque converter?

Thanks for any help/suggestions,

~Nick :(

Okay, so I don't know how you guys feel about clublexus, but, I found this tip on there that sounds like a good idea...I'll start here, but please let me if you have any thoughts, thanks!!

~Nick

again sorry to interupt...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400-foru...sion-fluid.html

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the #3 solenoid ($245 shipped at park Place) out this weekend, and it cured the P0763 that I had. It took 2 hours from start to finish; the valve body didn't have to come out. It took about 4.5quarts to refill.

post-1461-1239673996_thumb.jpgpost-1461-1239674129_thumb.jpg

180k miles...

post-1461-1239674066_thumb.jpg post-1461-1239674028_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

thank you for the update post

. Can I ask, which solenoid was taken out, I know it is #3 but the part guys are asking if it's SLN or SLU.  I even gave them the part number and they are having a hard time finding it. So I am look at the  automatic transmission assembly and trying to figure out which part. I'm too having the same code P0763

image.png